Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:12 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times

Advertisements

Three. The wife has a fixed work schedule, mine varies according to clients. She works 13 miles away while I might need to drive 30 in the other direction at a moment's notice. Always the need for two.

The third is a backup/winter car. House rule is older cars, paid for, insurance is quite low. Mine is a convertible which doesn't work out too well on bad winter days, thus having the sedan comes in handy. Since the daily drivers are older and need better than regular maintenance, the backup serves as the "pack mule" when they need attention.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:34 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Just because it's 2009 doesn't change common sense money management one bit. The laws of money management will be the same no matter what year it is. All that is different today is we live in a consumer society where people get brainwashed into believing more is not only better it's necessary to live a good life. What hog wash!!!!
Owning more than one vehicle is a necessity for some and a convenience for others. Some people enjoy having toys, it's not that they are "brainwashed" into believing that it's going to make them happy, it's just a simple luxury that is meant to be enjoyed. I became a member of a Corvette club in Scottsdale after I bought my C6 and I enjoy it a heck of a lot more than I would having my money sit in a bank somewhere. You have to live life to the fullest, you never know what day is going to be your last.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:39 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Owning more than one vehicle is a necessity for some and a convenience for others. Some people enjoy having toys, it's not that they are "brainwashed" into believing that it's going to make them happy, it's just a simple luxury that is meant to be enjoyed. I became a member of a Corvette club in Scottsdale after I bought my C6 and I enjoy it a heck of a lot more than I would having my money sit in a bank somewhere. You have to live life to the fullest, you never know what day is going to be your last.

Exactly my thoughts.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
Wait, you need a car? What did people do 120 years ago?

Considering I'm a car enthusiast, and also sale cars sometimes I'm going with a lot

Old 11-13-2009, 02:43 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Well, we have 3 a
old 94 pickup that barely get used, thinking about selling it.
Around town ca is a 04.
Road trip car is a 08.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I need 1.

I drive a 1998 Expedition that does a superlative job of holding all of the people/critters I need to move around, towing the 2 horse trailer if we need to take one to the emergency clinic, moving 200 sf of ceramic tile, firewood, groceries, and everything else I ask it to.

I paid $5k for it used and it costs me $27/month to insure. I can't justify having a second vehicle "just because". When this vehicle stops doing what I need I will find another to take its place.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 PM

652 posts, read 2,663,963 times
wow! I cant believe how many people think like my hubby! Okay I am going to answer this as if it were him answering.

We have 3 cars, 1 suv and 2 drivers. Although we should have two suv's but my wife forced me to sell one.
we need these vehicles because they are paid for and dont cost hardly anything to operate, well except for my wifes new car.
We have a 91 impulse which was my first "new" car and my main one now.
a 94 cavalier, that I try to get my wife to drive, because its cheap. I also cant get rid of it because the impulse might die one day. It only has 250k miles though. We also have our suburban which we need to tow the camper that we've only used once this year. although we use the truck for hauling all of our kids friends around and also trips.
Then we have my wifes new convertible, the EOS She was over driving in the dingy vehicles and I didnt like her driving the suburban.

Haha I think I play him pretty good!

Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not really, not for me anyway - the advantage of multiple cars is that since I do almost all my own service work, and it's perhaps a luxury I choose to afford, but having several older, paid-for cars in my "fleet" allows me to have several to drive while I am working on one, when I am working on one.

There is nothing more irritating to me than to be forced to finish working on a car Sunday evening because I need it to go to work on Monday. That and sometimes I find other issues during the teardown, I like to have the time to order in parts if necessary without haveing to disassemble/reassemble multiple times.

That and to me driving the same car all the time would get boring..

Old 11-13-2009, 03:23 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,147 times
More cars the better I'm will be . We currently have three vehicles at this moment, I'm making administrative changes right now.

Wify has 09 Nissan Maxima SV daily driver.

I have the 72 MC which was brought back to life 9 years ago. I Stretch her legs locally only during Summer days

Swap my 06 Charger R/T with a coworker for his 04 Quad Ram 1500 Hemi daily driver, hauling large items and winter vehicle.

Sold my 91 Ford Ranger to be replace with 60/61 bubble top Chevy Impala soon. This will be my weekend cruiser

New steal no longer impresses me, too much of the same in these parks. I want to stand apart from the pack.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive