Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,598,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I have a BIL that we nicknamed "tightwad". He has NEVER bought a car in his life and is over 40. He has a company car and then tries to dictate to my sis what kind of car SHE can buy with HER money that she makes from teaching. Then because he can't use a company car for pleasure he uses hers. Needless to say we also have ANOTHER name for him . He squeeks when he walks and has to be the most unhappiest person around. Constantly says that when someone spends THEIR OWN MONEY on something they want for their own enjoyment he always makes a comment about it being an "unwise financial decision". This coming from a man that sees no need to have a will or any other things to protect his family if something should happen to him. Maybe this IS my BIL Cause he sure can't stand that we have as many cars as we do. LOL!!!

Life is too short to worry about what OTHER PEOPLE spend THEIR OWN MONEY on. I'm spending mine on what makes OUR FAMILY happy and our family is well taken care of and protected.

I'd say +100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Someone nailed it with the "what good is me having the $$ in the bank to sit/spend it on something you like/live life to the fullest/you never know when your last day will be".

If you want my honest truth, cars to me are like handbags and shoes to women. You guys might sit there and scratch your heads wondering "why do women have more than 2 pairs of shoes or more than 10 hand bags". Just like some have to wonder why someone would need more than 1 or 2 cars.

Now I know I said 3 in my original post, but if I had it my way, I'd have every muscle car built from 66 to 72...then I'd have a few of the "non muscle car" years...i.e. a 77 black/gold Trans AM (aka "Bandit"), an 87 GNX and an 89 Turbo Trans AM....maybe even a 91-93 GMC Syclone or an LS1 all black F body with a 6 speed....then I'd have me a few lifted mud tired off road 4X4 older Chevy trucks...then I'd have me an old Ford "beater" truck that I could use to tear up when i wanted to drive aggressive or run over empty garbage cans left in the streets on garbage day. Plus the garage to house them all.

So no I don't need them but it would be nice to have them....for no other reason but to have them.
It is said that....... "A fool and his money are soon parted". So it is with cars............

Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM

28,867 posts, read 14,232,275 times
In reality two at the moment. A 3/4 ton diesel truck that I use to tow the toys with and a little diesel powered commuter car.

What I would like is :

A tow vehicle

An everyday car (Jetta, Passat, Audi, diesel powered of course)

A nice summer commuter car... something sporty and fast

A weekend car , something like an old muscle car or street rod (a tubbed out 41 willys with about 700hp would work nicely)

A drag car , something to have fun with at the dragstrip.. nothing too crazy , stock rear suspension , big inch small block, single or twin turbo.. maybe mid to high 8's in the quarter.

I think that would pretty much round it up.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,624,447 times
Quote:
It is said that....... "A fool and his money are soon parted". So it is with cars............
You seem to have a very pessimistic view on life. What hobbies do you have?

Everyone has something they enjoy and most of the time, these hobbies a good chunk of money. Some people collect cars, some collect watches, some people travel to exotic destinations, etc etc. Life would be pretty damn boring if you don't have some fun every once in a while.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

Everyone has something they enjoy and most of the time, these hobbies a good chunk of money. Some people collect cars, some collect watches, some people travel to exotic destinations, etc etc. Life would be pretty damn boring if you don't have some fun every once in a while.
Can you just imagine the terrible shape our world economy would be in and not just this countries economy if EVERYONE hoarded every penny they made and only bought the bare necessities of life. The advances made in many areas would be unheard of. Millions would be without a job. Homelessness would rule the planet or we would all live in cardboard boxes and it wouldn't be under a bridge as those are not "needs".

Some people just can see the fact that it is others ability to spend their disposable income on "frills" or wants that actually helps to circulate money and provide jobs.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:54 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
If I were living alone I would need two clunkers; one to drive while the other is being fixed. As i am married I need two clunkers; one for me to take to the bus station and one for the spouse. When one is being repaired the wife takes me to the bus station.

I will likely be buying a clunker motorcycle for grins in the spring.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:58 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Perhaps... although I've never sold a car for less than I've paid for it

I only buy used cars and often with a problem... bought a clean jeep with a noisy transmission... cluster gear bearing was going out... parts cost less than $50 and an afternoon of my time to tear it down, repair and put it back together...

Someday, if I ever sell the only new car I bought... I'm pretty sure it will be at a loss...

Bought my first car at 12 years old and had it towed home... many thought I was foolish, paying $1000 of my money for a 1929 Model A Ford that hadn't run in years....

Old 11-16-2009, 05:41 PM

28,867 posts, read 14,232,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I were living alone I would need two clunkers; one to drive while the other is being fixed. As i am married I need two clunkers; one for me to take to the bus station and one for the spouse. When one is being repaired the wife takes me to the bus station.

I will likely be buying a clunker motorcycle for grins in the spring.

Save some money and do the repairs yourself...

Old 11-16-2009, 08:40 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,119,250 times
Well, some people have a hobby of scrutinizing other peoples' spending.

Personally, I just need one car. I currently have an FJ cruiser, and it more than meets my needs.

If I could afford it, I would own a sporty car for weekends and what not, but, it is not a priority. Also, judging others spending is not my hobby, I really could not care less how others spend their money.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,598,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

The question of this topic has nothing at all to do with hobby expense cars or otherwise. It's about how many cars YOU NEED FOR YOUR PERSONAL USE! To which I still say...ONE!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
Ugh, I could make it with two, but I have four!

1991 Lexus LS400 is my "daily driver/work car".

1988 Mercedes 300SEL is my "days off" car and one I really baby. A car I like to take my time in and not let anyone else ride in and get dirty.

1973 Pontiac Grand Ville is my occasional daily driver and its a good dependable car, but is a gas hog. It was grandmas car, so it has sentimental value, so I cant part with it, but its not practical as an everyday driver.

1972 Chevrolet Caprice Kingswood Estate wagon is a classic car I have wanted for a long time. I had to pay a fortune and its going to cost me a fortune to restore it, but I cant seem to part with it.

Still on my wish list is a nice 71-73 Cadillac DeVille or Fleetwood, 1990-94 Lincoln Town Car, 1990-93 Toyota Celica and a 1994-98 Toyota T100 truck. As you can see, I am a fan of older vehicles.

Insurance not too bad for me on 3 cars... its $80 a month and I have full coverage on the LS400, comp and liability on the 300SEL and liability only on the Grand Ville. Not driving the wagon yet, so no insurance on it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive