U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,495 times
Default Need help with a possible purchase @ Land Rover Miramar

Hey there,

I am in the process of possibly purchasing a 2006 BMW 750 LI from a dealership in San Diego CA @ 9455 Clayton Dr. The one caveat or risk that I am taking is that I am located in Nashville TN. Can I ask a fellow City-data dweller to be my actual eyes. I would like someone to actual go there, and take pictures for me, and test drive if would like. If a small fee is required, I am willing to partake if necessary, however if you are willing to help a fellow Tennessean out it would be much appreciative as well.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,700,243 times
AAA offers a pre-purchase service: Vehicle Inspection Program - Automotive Services - Automobile Club of Southern California

Just search for a AAA-approved repair shop near the dealer and ask someone from the dealer to take the car over there. You'll get a professional 3rd party opinion at minimal cost.

A friend of mine just used this service to buy a privately-owned car in another state. The process worked great.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Great IDEA!!!! I will look into this immediately.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:36 PM

One other question cruitir--since your friend purchase a car out of state similar to what I am doing. Do you know what car shipping company they used. I am getting quotes anywhere from 1250-1495 for enclosed shipping, and I want to make sure I getting the best pricing.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:47 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,700,243 times
My friend flew to Las Vegas and drove the car back to San Diego.

San Diego to Nashville is about 2000 miles. Your quotes sound reasonable for enclosed shipping.

A BMW forum might be a good source for car shippers: BMW Forum, BMW Message Forums. Chat Rooms and message boards. 3 Series Forum, M3 Forum, 5 Series, 7 Series, Z4 Forum, X5 and X3 Forum as well as 6 Series.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,076,440 times
If I could get the time off work I would be happy to drive it to Tennessee for you for air fare and per diem.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:24 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,571,515 times
Rocwear, I DM'ed you, anyway I would try to get it inspected by La Jolla Independent, Carl Nelson there is a true knight of the blue and white - like I mentioned this can be an expensive car to work on, if it has serious needs your purchase price should reflect that, if you still want it.

Really, if you can possibly spare the time, fly out, buy the car based on your own personal inspection as well as Carl's - Carl can certainly tell you what the car needs mechanically but particularly when it comes to cosmetics, really only *you* know what you expect...and drive it home to Nashville. This is essentially what I did with the M3 - interestingly I found it in Memphis.

Failing that, you can have it shipped but I would go with an outfit like FedEx car shipping or some similar outfit that ships collector cars, rather than the "cattle truck" regular car haulers.

If you decide to drive it, AAA is your friend. Both for routing, and for towing if it comes to that.

The 750 is a great car, don't get me wrong - but get a good one.

That said, I do occasionally see a collector car on the cattle truck. I don't know how well this turned out for the new owner of the car - maybe it was fine, maybe the carrier damaged the car, who knows? But the collector car guys know that if they dent or scratch the car, it's not going to be blown off, so they are careful. But they do cost more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive