Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Also just a little side note die hard is made by the same company that makes interstate.
ding,ding,ding,ding....we have a winner! I know of a few previuos co-workers who worked for a battery manufacture close by. They informed me most batteries are the same bs with the only difference being better leads and warranty. I was told when buying a battery don't buy b'c' of the name but buy b'c' of the warranty instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
I still have my stock Ac delco in my GTO which is now almost 5 years old and I use an optima commercial truck battery in my F250 and it going on 3 years with out any problems

Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I kinda hate to admit it, but my family has had really good luck with batteries from WalMart.

Their prices always seem to be very competitive, and we've never had them fail to stand behind the warranties.

Also, in our experience, it has been nice to have WalMarts in pretty much every stinkin' town in the universe. My sons both used to do a lot of traveling with various bands, and on more than one occasion had to replace a battery out in the middle of nowhere. Each time WalMart treated them right.
Consumers Report will agree that Wal Mart batteries are one of the best. Wal Mart brand batteries are made by Johnson Controls or Gould both of whom make batteries for heavy industry.

As to Interstate batteries I have two (one in each vehicle) that will be replaced with Wal Mart batteries when the time comes.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
I've always have good experience with Interstate. Most mechanics I've worked with say Interstate is their favorite.
We call Wal-Mart batteries Neverstart batteries. Usually, they do come in low. That probably is a statement on the owner of the car more than the battery itself. Wal-Mart shoppers aren't always on top of the car care game.
Of course, there's only a handful of places that actually make batteries, while there's a hundred different brands.
Stick with the long warranty ones. You might as well take your chances and grab a battery out of a junkyard as to buy a 12 or 24 month warranty battery.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:16 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I personally have never seen a battery last more than 2 and half to three years. If you guys are getting 10 years out of a battery, that is is just insane. The only conclusion I can make is it has to do with the weather here. I think the 115 degree summers in Phoenix and Vegas just rip the batteries to shreds.
We managed to get 8 years out of one. The vehicle it was in spent 5 years in North Carolina and the other 3 in Indiana the whole time we had the battery.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
I personally have never seen a battery last more than 2 and half to three years. If you guys are getting 10 years out of a battery, that is is just insane. The only conclusion I can make is it has to do with the weather here. I think the 115 degree summers in Phoenix and Vegas just rip the batteries to shreds.
Living in the heat in Florida my original Honda battery lasted for 6 plus years!
Also did my other Honda battery and it still was great til I did trade the car.
Sears I also have had great luck with there battery.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
It's really hit or miss. I sold my Toyota Avalon with the 9 year old factory battery still in it, after 3 years in the desert. My 3 year old Volvo still has the factory battery in the trunk. But, our Audi made it a whole year and a month, before the factory battery dumped.

On the whole, the heat seems to take a toll on batteries, worse than the cold.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:53 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
All I know is what battery is bad and that is Duralast. Created a whole lot of problems for my family..replaced with same a couple of times until someone told my husband that they were faulty.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
OPTIMA makes the best, but you pay for it.
I agree, GetMe . . . over the long haul, OPTIMA BATTERIES are definitely worth the extra money, especially in more severe and demanding climate conditions.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Consumers Report will agree that Wal Mart batteries are one of the best. Wal Mart brand batteries are made by Johnson Controls or Gould both of whom make batteries for heavy industry.

As to Interstate batteries I have two (one in each vehicle) that will be replaced with Wal Mart batteries when the time comes.
Johnson control is who make Interstate. The best way to spot a Johnson control bat. is to look at the caps. If the corners are clipped at a 45 degree angle then it is a Johnson control bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive