U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM

8,831 posts, read 23,307,749 times

Advertisements

Fuel pump for this car is neither cheap nor all that easy to change, unless it's way different from the German cars I have fooled with.

I'd check the filter first, if the filter is getting old the symptoms of low pressure will be about the same as a fuel pump failing, I would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM

6,349 posts, read 7,401,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Fuel pump for this car is neither cheap nor all that easy to change, unless it's way different from the German cars I have fooled with.
Not saying that's what the problem is, but it's actually one of the easiest fuel pumps to replace. The hardest part is usually removing the rear seat. After that you remove the access cover and there it is. Disconnect the wiring and fuel lines and eight small bolts later it's ready to lift out. Start to finish takes about an hour, depending on skill level.

By the way, it's an Asian car.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Not saying that's what the problem is, but it's actually one of the easiest fuel pumps to replace. The hardest part is usually removing the rear seat. After that you remove the access cover and there it is. Disconnect the wiring and fuel lines and eight small bolts later it's ready to lift out. Start to finish takes about an hour, depending on skill level.

Yes, I know it's a Japanese car, but the fuel pump under the rear seat is common to most Japanese and German cars of this period, some domestics you have to drop the gas tank to get at the fuel pump, , but most imports it's not that hard.

That said, maybe you know some good tests for the health of the fuel pump that can be done without special tools? Or is a good FI type fuel pressure gauge part of the opening ante for this sort of troubleshooting?

Fuel pump amp draw, easy enough to measure with a clamp-around type ammeter, seems to me tells more about the state of the fuel filter than the pump itself.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:44 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,489,490 times
Quote:
If the car needs a tune up, at least do the 4 spark plugs and fuel filter - these are normally within the abilities of most DIY guys.

Offhand I think either you tripped some sort of impact sensor, or, maybe just uncovered the fuel pump.

Avoid running less than 1/4 tank of gas in any fuel injected car. Can damange the fuel pump.
I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on, sentras have a notoriously loud fuel pump.

From what I read the fuel pump is easy to replace via the rear seat, but it's $130 that I don't currently have until Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

I found a DIY tutorial on a nissan website, but I don't want to go replacing parts without knowing it's the problem.

I will admit my cas has been run to empty on a regular basis for the last 3-4 months, I used to be very anal about this sort of thing but lately working overnight and trying to go to school I just forget sometimes until the light comes on.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Meantime try to keep it reasonably full of gas, that may help keep the fuel pump working longer.

Unfortunately I don't know any easy test to determine the health of the fuel pump unless you have a fuel pressure gauge available. If you go this route realize the normal pressure is around 40 PSI so be careful, easy to start a fire if you are not.

Maybe you can find a test in a Nissan forum, or someone will post up something.

How old is your fuel filter? If it's old, that in itself can both increase stress on the fuel pump and reduce pressure at the injectors.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:15 AM

6,349 posts, read 7,401,616 times
Quote:
That said, maybe you know some good tests for the health of the fuel pump that can be done without special tools? Or is a good FI type fuel pressure gauge part of the opening ante for this sort of troubleshooting?
The best way for testing a fuel pump problem, especially an intermittent one is with a lab scope. I know most people don't own a scope but it's the only way to be 100% sure. You can have the correct pressure and volume and still have a bad pump.

Here's a good explanation:
Tech Tip 2

Google fuel pump waveform for more info.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:15 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,489,490 times
I am getting a new fuel filter either way, they're only $10 for my car.

I am getting it looked at today.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 274 times
Default Check crankshaft and camshaft sensor

Same thing happened to me 2002 santa fe 2.4 I had replaced my camshaft sensor it worked for awhile about 2 weeks and then started doing it again....finally since i had a recall on my car i took it to the shop and had them replace the crankshaft sensor and timing belt (since they had to take it off anyway to get the senor replaced....and 600 bucks later my car is driving fine! No issues so far the camshaft senor on most cars you can do it yourself but crankshaft and timing belt unless you know what you are doing pay for a shop to do it!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM

525 posts, read 369,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
My car broke down today, I am looking for some help determining what happened.

It's a 1999 Nissan Sentra 1.6L Automatic.

I was pulling out of a hotel and there was a big dip, right after going over this dip my car shut off, all the lights on the dash came on (battery, oil, check engine, etc) and my RPM's dropped.

I pulled off the road, and I tried to start my car again but it would only crank and not turn-over to start.

I sat for a while, checked a few things like my oil, all the connections, battery, etc, and after sitting for 30 minutes I was able to start my car again.

One thing I did notice is I seemed to have lost gas, I was at a quarter tank and I was closer to empty by the time I got it started again?

I got my car started, and drove about 1-2 miles to my house, the car felt like it was driving just fine.

I am not sure what to do now, do I just try to keep driving or what?
I had lessons in a Sentra, pretty cool car.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM

753 posts, read 911,563 times
Take the fuel filter off and have someone look at the exposed fuel line while you turn the key. If fuel spurts out, your pump is probably good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive