Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 AM

29,473 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I have a 96 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 12v mated to the NV4500... good for millions of miles. Its a stiff truck, but other than comfort and aesthetics I fail to see why people think the chassis is "not up to the job"... I have a dana 60 up front and a dana 80 in the back, the nv4500 is bullet proof, the truck is properly suspended... Its built very tough and it rides like it. The 12v is noisy, but you have to remember its a REAL diesel... all mechanical. Not uncommon for a stock 12v to make it well over a million miles before needing a rebuild. $200 gets you another 250hp... gauges are the most expensive thing for achieving such a significant power gain over stock. Not to mention BAD mpg for me is 17mpg.

Its no comfy GM truck but the chassis is certainly capable of the drivetrain.
"Its a stiff truck"... have you ever ridden in a "D" truck ? A friend of mine had a "D" 1 ton extended cab long bed(rare) Dodge, not sure of the year maybe early 90's it had an intercooled 12V Cummins. What a nice looking truck, he worked at a bump/paint shop so the truck was basically restored. All white, grey interior. He ended up selling the truck because it was too stiff to drive everyday..the only time it rode good was when they were towing their 30ft enclosed race car hauler. Some guy from CA (we are in MI) bought it on Ebay and flew here and drove it home.
My second gen 24V Dodge rides pretty rough, I changed the suspension to a Kore Performance "Chase" suspension and it helps but it's know where near the 3rd gen and newer trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 03:18 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
"Its a stiff truck"... have you ever ridden in a "D" truck ? A friend of mine had a "D" 1 ton extended cab long bed(rare) Dodge, not sure of the year maybe early 90's it had an intercooled 12V Cummins. What a nice looking truck, he worked at a bump/paint shop so the truck was basically restored. All white, grey interior. He ended up selling the truck because it was too stiff to drive everyday..the only time it rode good was when they were towing their 30ft enclosed race car hauler. Some guy from CA (we are in MI) bought it on Ebay and flew here and drove it home.
My second gen 24V Dodge rides pretty rough, I changed the suspension to a Kore Performance "Chase" suspension and it helps but it's know where near the 3rd gen and newer trucks.
Drove a D350 4x4 gasser at work for a few summers... it was like riding on a cinder block around. I got it to ride real nice a few times, the one time I had the back stacked with about 70 8' tables weighing about 40lbs a piece. The thing took some major abuse... in the end a mere electrical gremlin coupled with a retarded bunch of mechanics did her in.

However, I got that stiffness beat in my buddies 1938 1-ton Ram dump... now that thing is STIFF!

As for the D350 I dealt with, I dont think it was actually that much stiffer than my truck now however it felt much sloppier.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
My friends who do heavy plowing are not a fan of the Chevy front suspension. They have Dodges that go all day long and are bullet proof. Albeit most choose gas over diesel for plowing. The Dodges may be less comfortable to drive but they are very durable.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,110 times
The Cummins is the best all around dsl engine, bar none. The Dodge truck is OK. I'd buy the Dodge just to get the Cummins. My stock 12 valve has 170+K miles and has had no problems. The later 24 valves are doing pretty good, just toooo expensive. I'm waiting to see what the new Ford engine from Mexico will do. IHC had been having lots of problems and Ford split from them to build their own in Mexico. The 2010 emmisions has been a challenge for most dsl mfgs, except for Cummins. They have been 2010 compliant since 2007.
Compare engines on turbodieselregister.com Excellent source and has saved me lots of dough!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:42 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The cummins engine is definitely the best. Unfortunately, it is in a Dodge chassis. You all know what I think about Chrysler products, so we will leave it at that.
Whatever it is, it'll change by 2012.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:10 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Who wins and why? Have sereral friends with each, The Dodge definatley gets the better fuel mileage, The ford has had problems, but seems like the best built truck for the money...But I'm a chevy guy...with new found respect for ford, for not taking goverment money........
IMO 7.3L Power Stroke. I have a '02 and it has been the best truck I have ever had. The '03-'07 6L were turds and I am about as diehard Ford as you get. Stay away from them. The new 6.4L seems to be very good and are making good power. From what I have heard they fixed a lot of the 6L problems. Only time will tell though.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Oh yeah 7.3L haters there is no replacement for displacement!LOL...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Chevrolet- 365 hp 660 lb-ft
Ford- 350 hp 650 lb-ft
Dodge- 350 hp 650 lb-ft

These numbers are direct from the manufactures websites. They're pretty evenly matched but Chevy is still on top.
Update: Old thread and inaccurate/outdated info! The new 6.7L is better than that! 2011 Ford Super Duty Features | Official Site of the Ford Super Duty | FordVehicles.com

Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
IMO 7.3L Power Stroke. I have a '02 and it has been the best truck I have ever had. The '03-'07 6L were turds and I am about as diehard Ford as you get. Stay away from them. The new 6.4L seems to be very good and are making good power. From what I have heard they fixed a lot of the 6L problems. Only time will tell though.
I bought an early '03 F250 Powerstroke with the Cummins 7.3L for the same reason. Lucked out and found a used 4 yr. old one with less than 30K miles on it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Well the 6.0 was a powerful, good pulling motor. They just always fell apart lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive