Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Genesis coupe only exists because of the G35/37. Its cheap, ugly, built worse, and overpriced. I think the Genesis coupe is a HUGE fail on Hyundai's behalf, especially the turbo 4 engine. I would rather have seen them turbo the sedan or something rather than crap out the coupe. Looks like they wanted a Tiburon to mate with a G37, then take the offspring and roll it around in some turds.
Well aesthetic tastes are a matter of opinion of course. I think they look OK but not great. Interior quality appears OK but not great -- and that's acceptable for the market they're aiming for. "Built worse" is debatable. But as for being "overpriced" I really don't know how you figure. They are priced very aggressively against their segment competitors.

And the turbo 4 engine is deliberately underpowered. Hyundai's reasoning for this is basically, "most turbo 4 buyers are just going to modify it anyway, so we might as well give them a blank slate to start with." Not saying I agree with their reasoning, but there it is; the main point being that the turbo 4 is built to handle substantially more power than it delivers in stock form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well aesthetic tastes are a matter of opinion of course. I think they look OK but not great. Interior quality appears OK but not great -- and that's acceptable for the market they're aiming for. "Built worse" is debatable. But as for being "overpriced" I really don't know how you figure. They are priced very aggressively against their segment competitors.

And the turbo 4 engine is deliberately underpowered. Hyundai's reasoning for this is basically, "most turbo 4 buyers are just going to modify it anyway, so we might as well give them a blank slate to start with." Not saying I agree with their reasoning, but there it is; the main point being that the turbo 4 is built to handle substantially more power than it delivers in stock form.
Thank you, it's nice to see some logical reasoning here. Along with the fact that while Hyundai says 210HP on paper, the car is actually making 240HP with the 4 cylinder.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Thank you, it's nice to see some logical reasoning here. Along with the fact that while Hyundai says 210HP on paper, the car is actually making 240HP with the 4 cylinder.
Please explain how buying an underpowered car just to sink thousands into it to make it faster, when you could just buy the V6 to start with? And all those parts you will spend THOUSANDS of dollars on, will more than likely void the warranty. And trust me, the reason Hyundai offers the 10 year warranty is because its used very often, just ask me.

There is no logic in buying an underpowered car, just to spend thousands to make it maybe a little faster than the V6 version, all the while voiding warranty. Sorry, that just doesnt seem logical at all to me.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Please explain how buying an underpowered car just to sink thousands into it to make it faster, when you could just buy the V6 to start with? And all those parts you will spend THOUSANDS of dollars on, will more than likely void the warranty. And trust me, the reason Hyundai offers the 10 year warranty is because its used very often, just ask me.

There is no logic in buying an underpowered car, just to spend thousands to make it maybe a little faster than the V6 version, all the while voiding warranty. Sorry, that just doesnt seem logical at all to me.
As someone who's owned a Hyundai in the past (my first car was a 2002 Accent, constantly redline driving, complete abuse) I can tell you right now that they are bullet proof. I never used the warranty and I sold the car to a friend of mine years ago and he's still driving it with over 100k miles on it. The logic is that an FI motor is easier and more cost efficient to mod than one that is not built for forced induction. The 4cyl is also lighter which improves handling. I'm sure you didn't bother reading it, but I posted a link earlier with a turbo Genesis making 400hp. How much work do you think it would take to push the same output on a naturally aspirated motor? With the turbo 4 making 240hp stock, it is a simple ECU flash away from being just as quick as the V6. Would everyone with the turbo 4 be willing to void their warranty? Of course not, but I know plenty of people with STI's, EVO's, G35's, 350Z's and plenty of other makes who have no issue voiding the warranty for increased performance. It may not seem logical to you but that doesn't prevent it from being true.

If someone wants quick out of the dealer performance they will get the V6. If they want the Genesis package at a lower price and don't mind the smaller engine they will get the turbo 4. If they purchase the car with the intent to modify it they will get the turbo 4 as well.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Whether it's logical or not, people do it all the time. Do some shopping for used WRXs or Evos some time -- if it's more than a couple years old there's a good chance it's been modified in some way or another. Whether it's logical to do so is not really Hyundai's concern -- whether it's logical to cater specifically to the tuner market is their concern.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
As someone who's owned a Hyundai in the past (my first car was a 2002 Accent, constantly redline driving, complete abuse) I can tell you right now that they are bullet proof.
HA! I find that really, really hard to believe. We bought a new 01 Sonata GLS V6, still have it with 115K miles on it. Its been in the shop for anything from wheel bearings to rattles and squeaks to snapped belts to siezed pulleys. And of course now that the warranty is out, we know have developed a trunk leak, a broken rear window regulator and another wheel bearing thats crapped out. And to top it all off, there is a small oil leak from the oil pan and an increasingly loud ticking valve. Lovely!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkag37 View Post
Now lets go after some real competion
OMG they are all so ugly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
HA! I find that really, really hard to believe. We bought a new 01 Sonata GLS V6, still have it with 115K miles on it. Its been in the shop for anything from wheel bearings to rattles and squeaks to snapped belts to siezed pulleys. And of course now that the warranty is out, we know have developed a trunk leak, a broken rear window regulator and another wheel bearing thats crapped out. And to top it all off, there is a small oil leak from the oil pan and an increasingly loud ticking valve. Lovely!
It's very well possible that you got a lemon although 2002 brought a new Sonata which is right around the time that Hyundai's improved greatly in overall quality. The Sonata wasn't truly great until the 2006 version although your 2001 (8.3/10) and the 2002 (8.6/10) models rated very closely to the 2001 Toyota Camry (8.7/10) according to Edmunds user reviews. I'd say that's some very good territory to be in. The 2006 Sonata actually scores a 9.1/10 from Edmunds user reviews which is pretty damn spiffy.

My Accent got a lot of abuse as a first car and was driven on San Francisco's hilly streets, redlined constantly, took 7 people to Reno (two in the hatch) and was driven constantly. In the two years that I owned it I put over 50k miles on it and sold it to a friend who still drives it.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
This post is awfully hard to reconcile with this one:

Quote:
Our Hyundai is 7 years old alone, with over 105K on the ticker, and runs great! And even since then Hyundai has made great strides in quality! The best ever was picking up my cousin at Bill Jacobs BMW after he had to drop off his 530i, yet again, in the Hyundai. We bought ours new, payed almost 20K less (!!!!) than his 530i and had A LOT less problems. Now, dont get me wrong, we had to take our Hyundai to the dealer a few times (for petty stuff), but the warranty covered everything. After 3 trips to the dealer in one year alone, my cousin sold his 530i and ended up buying a Volvo S80, which has also had problems. IMO, our Hyundai has been a really, really good car. Weve had it for 7 years and never had to spend a penny on it other than to buy a new timing belt, which my buddy replaced. Anyways, I told my cousin to consider the Hyundai Azera when he was looking at another car, but noooooooo. I wonder if he secretly kicks himself at night?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This post is awfully hard to reconcile with this one:
WOW, what an awesome find. Seems like he has a split personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive