Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
The Intake needs a source to create a turbulance of air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber.
Valve design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Valve design is limited to what it is today. Cannot see a square or rectangular valve in the future.

Valve can have a three angle cut as I had on my dragster engine.

Bench flowing the heads...comp ratio...size of the intake/exhaust valve in relation to piston size all have to be considered. It's all in the combination... and yes don't forget the cam for the needed lift.

Steve

Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
It's not only about air flow. You have to keep the fuel atomized evenly throughout the air. The slightly roughened finish provides the necessary turbulence to keep the fuel mixed evenly in the air. In a smooth finish, you will see fuel droplets gathering on the sides of the intake runners.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 PM

13 posts, read 19,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Why not write one in your native tongue then? I thought I heard people speaking english in your videos.

Smooth provides laminar flow, coarse provides turbulent flow. Laminar flow is the ideal method of moving/transporting fluids, this has been proven...

Golf balls? I hope you didn't design your heads on golf ball design because they share virtually nothing in common as far as their aerodynamic needs. A golf ball is a spherical object traveling through a turbulent fluid. The dimples are a compensating measure to improve the resulting trajectory, not necessarily make the ball "go faster". Anyhow, why compare to a golf ball when a bullet or rocket ship would be a more fitting comparison... objects that are heavily engineered to have high velocity and undergo the least amount of resistance.

A channel in a head is designed to provide the best possible laminar flow. Think about it... fastest way to get somewhere is a straight line, so if you have turbulent flow then your molecules are going all over the place in one general direction. Laminar flow has the molecules uniformly, smoothly and directly going to their location, this is the most efficient way for the molecules to travel. That said... what is it your trying to prove? Maybe you have something but I just dont see it much less understand it.

Again, then the air should be traveling through something that is the shape of an inverted bullet, which in reality would be a smooth bore circular tube... no obstructions.
So maybe I have a turbulent flow that helps keep the fuel in the air for longer...However I have tested 2 PVC tubes with a cigarette paper on the end, one tube as is, the other I got to it with a wire wheel, I placed them over my sub woofer port and pumped some air in and out 10 to 40 HZ and a bit of AC/DC.
What I found was the one that had been modified seem to damage the cigarette paper less it also moved differently in the air flow the effect may be like a heterodyne eg mixer so there seemed to be less turbulence in the modified one.

"A golf ball is a spherical object" on most engines the air and fuel have to go around corners and I bet there is a small wake on the trailing edge, unlike Formula 1 engines where there intake is straight.

I have something and I just don't understand it yet, maybe we can all get together and solve the problem.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
It's not only about air flow. You have to keep the fuel atomized evenly throughout the air. The slightly roughened finish provides the necessary turbulence to keep the fuel mixed evenly in the air. In a smooth finish, you will see fuel droplets gathering on the sides of the intake runners.
I agree, I did some tests with and air brush over a smooth surface on one side and a rough surface on the other side, the smooth surface seemed to leave bigger and larger droplets behind.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I cant find anything definitive on this topic... like a report. Searches seem to yield "Larry the machinist has been working on heads for 40 years and he says rough finish is the only way to go" or comments to that effect. No full blown analysis to be found, just conjecture.

I guess my own conjectural contribution would be that high end racing teams appear to be using near mirror like finishes.. I think some outputted data from a flow bench would handy for the OP.
Well I had 2 vacuum cleaners hooked up to a tee and was measuring the head of water. when the tee was in free air the water head was 110 mm then when I connected the tee to my intake track (length 620mm Valve not in place) via the valve seat the head went up slightly the amount was the same as a piece of 25mm pvc 45 mm long, however when I moved the tee down from the valve seat by 10mm the water head dropped to roughly 50mm...but with the tee in free air the head was 110mm I thought that cant be right anyway I put it all together back in 2005.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingwheels View Post
So maybe I have a turbulent flow that helps keep the fuel in the air for longer...However I have tested 2 PVC tubes with a cigarette paper on the end, one tube as is, the other I got to it with a wire wheel, I placed them over my sub woofer port and pumped some air in and out 10 to 40 HZ and a bit of AC/DC.
What I found was the one that had been modified seem to damage the cigarette paper less it also moved differently in the air flow the effect may be like a heterodyne eg mixer so there seemed to be less turbulence in the modified one.
The issue I see is that today fuel economy is dependent on emissions control. Because of this, it should be possible to get better actual fuel economy from some older cars than many newer cars (although most newer cars are bigger and somewhat heavier). What you are dealing with is changing the turbulence of the flow. The flow, at those speeds, will be turbulent, but there is a complex issue with combustion and mixing of the air and fuel, since that includes timing and location of the spark.

Quote:
"A golf ball is a spherical object" on most engines the air and fuel have to go around corners and I bet there is a small wake on the trailing edge, unlike Formula 1 engines where there intake is straight.

I have something and I just don't understand it yet, maybe we can all get together and solve the problem.
See my post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11314082-post14.html

Turbulence will happen at fast enough speeds and/or large enough characteristic dimension (diameter, etc...).

Old 12-01-2009, 02:13 AM

another thing I have is some sound recordings of my intake when under full load.
I dont really know how to explane what is going on because I have no data to compare it against, anyone is welcome to try.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
For one, I don't understand what's new here?

The theory of having a "smooth" (not cating bumps etc) but roughed up surface inside the intake is in no way a new idea. They did this as early as the 50s maybe even earlier.

Engineers, through research and science (lets not forget how much money they spend on this, Mercedes alone spends $10 million a day) have largely gone away from this thinking. With the invention of pneumatic valves, direct port injection and so on and so forth the point of doing this is rendered obsolete.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
another thing I have is some sound recordings of my intake when under full load.
I dont really know how to explane what is going on because I have no data to compare it against, anyone is welcome to try.

When you flow bench test, you want a smooth tone, no bubbling sounds, no up and down sounds to the port.
Notice in these pictures of ports I've done on a bbc (flowed high 570's cfm) and the intake that there are areas that are smooth as well as areas that are rougher. This is for fuel air mixture, anti seperation of the mixture as well as best air flow with as few port/runner cc's as possible for best power. The heads are bbc, if i remember right they were 380ish to 385ish cc's on intake port sizes. Engine made over 1600 hp n/a. Here is also an intake i did that gained 42hp over a rough as cast version on a 358 sbc;
Attached Thumbnails
I  have reinvented the way air flows into an engine!-bbc-dart-18-degree-oval-port   I  have reinvented the way air flows into an engine!-sbc-dart-intake-manifold-fully-ported.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive