U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM

12,284 posts, read 12,000,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The best reason to fill our tires with nitrogen gas is that it's so stable. It stays at a stable psi when the temperatures change, especially when it gets warmer, so here in TX during summer and highwaydriving you'll have significant less of a chance for a blow out, your tires wear better and your fuel economy goes up slightly.

...There's a reason they use it in any serious race car.
This isn't really true. Nitrogen obeys the "same ideal gas law" as atmospheric air.

Gas laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consumer Reports ran a one year test of pressure loss - and nitrogen DID show a slight advantage over regular air - but only about 1 psi over a one year period.

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Tires - Nitrogen air loss study

If it is free - there is no reason not to use nitrogen. But otherwise I think it is a complete waste of time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,763,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I like the TPMS in our Pilot and Ridgeline.

Marykate - you really should spend a few minutes with the owner's manual of your car. Don't be just another helpless female intimidated by an indicator on your dash.

TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It warns you when your tire pressure is below the manufacturer's minimum for that car. It doesn't mean "emergency" but it means one or more of your tires are low. This happens when it gets cold - but even if it were warm your tires were probably close to being low.

Since you probably NEVER check your tire pressure on your own - TPMS is doing you a favor.
Hoffdano - There's way TOO MANY helpless females in my office who are always asking me what's wrong with their car. All the lights are on the dashboard and dinging to no end. Eek! And they wonder why the mechanic told them that they need a new transmission! I too, have TPMS on my vehicle and it's a great thing. I check my own tire pressure and have a digital gauage in my glove box.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,763,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

I just got back my Honda Accord 2008 yesterday from dealership after fixing the back bumper which was damaged in an accident.

Today, I drove the car and the TPMS Light is ON. What does that mean? I am in Houston and it is snowing (little bit). Does, it have anything to do with the TPMS light?
Please read your owner's manual because you can find out how TPMS works and you may even find a feature in your car you didn't know about! Don't be afraid to get under the hood either! Good luck and stay safe out there!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM

6,987 posts, read 12,472,784 times
Refill them with nitrogen. You shouldn't have this problem again.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 PM

12,284 posts, read 12,000,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Refill them with nitrogen. You shouldn't have this problem again.
See posts above on nitrogen.

Unless it is free - it is not worth the cost and hassle whatsoever.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 4,365,022 times
I fill my tires with helium--it makes for a lighter ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive