U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 PM

9,216 posts, read 12,525,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
This is why Mustang's will never be taken seriously as sports cars until Ford develops a mass market product with a fully independent suspension. Current Mustang's make good power, look good (subjective, some don't like the redesigned rear end) and finally have a decent interior but they don't have the hardware necessary to perform well on a track with curves.
with the new 400HP 5.0 coming out and the mustang being the lighter than the camaro it should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM

19,214 posts, read 50,092,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Steve-O, I had a long, well-reasoned response to all the points you raised, but your colossal lack of intelligence and car knowledge just makes it useless.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

The GT-R will easily hang with a Viper, on the street or the track (no, not beat, but neck and neck to 60, and right on it's tail over the 1/4).

But I would much rather drive a GT-R daily than a Viper. Viper's have to be the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven.
Who has the "colossal lack of intelligence and car knowledge"? Excuuuse me? Ive stated the GT-R hangs with the Viper and ZR-1 to 60 and maybe the quarter. After those traps have passed, the GT-R starts to really show what it is underneath that ugly sheetmetal: a fat pig. It flat falls on its face and is soundly trounced to higher speeds. And can the GT-R pull 1.1+ gs like the Viper ACR can? Nope, not even with all its little Playstation electronic helpers. Doesnt say a whole lot to me other than its trounced by cars with PROPER set-ups. Call me a purist, but why buy a sports car that doesnt involve the driver with on-call over/understeer, sweet, sweet sounds and gorgeous body lines? NONE of which are present in the GT-R.

And another thing... Vipers arent meant to be comfortable. Theyre a rough-and-tumble sports car. Not comfortable? What did you expect? An LS470 seat? Would you also complain if you burned your legs on the sidepipes while exiting a 1st gen RT10, too?

And while the GT-R won this comparo youre about to see, it illustrates PERFECTLY how outclassed it is. I guess its comfortable and a pimply-faced teenager could jump in it and turn a quick laptime, so it wins? UGH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyesMboupuU

Last edited by Steve-o; 12-10-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM

19,214 posts, read 50,092,070 times
Quote:
Current Mustang's make good power, look good (subjective, some don't like the redesigned rear end) and finally have a decent interior but they don't have the hardware necessary to perform well on a track with curves.
Time for some research my friend. Would you believe the new Mustang withh the Track Pack posts higher skidpad ratings than the track-ready Miata? Sit back and see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bckQ-lCCSsg

Did you guys forget the Cobra R Mustang? That routinely pulled over 1 gs on the skidpad and was absolutely remarkable on the track! Yes it was limited and expensive (for a Mustang), but it just goes to show that a Mustang can be a very formidable track weapon if set up right. Enjoy the show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT_ONklzRjg

Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,029,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the mustang would work as a daily too there are alot of GT's so beside the GT500 being a bit lower and a stiffer suspension it should pretty easy to drive around town plus you got to love that supercharger whine
Oh sure it would work, they all would, but not as well, not as refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Who has the "colossal lack of intelligence and car knowledge"? Excuuuse me? Ive stated the GT-R hangs with the Viper and ZR-1 to 60 and maybe the quarter. After those traps have passed, the GT-R starts to really show what it is underneath that ugly sheetmetal: a fat pig. It flat falls on its face and is soundly trounced to higher speeds. And can the GT-R pull 1.1+ gs like the Viper ACR can? Nope, not even with all its little Playstation electronic helpers. Doesnt say a whole lot to me other than its trounced by cars with PROPER set-ups. Call me a purist, but why buy a sports car that doesnt involve the driver with on-call over/understeer, sweet, sweet sounds and gorgeous body lines? NONE of which are present in the GT-R.
Actually, the GT-R pulled 1.5G on Fuji Racetrack when Jeremy Clarkson tested it ('til destruction of his neck, due to lateral forces)

You have your thoughts on the look of the GT-R, but me and many other think it's quite a looker.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,423,789 times
Quote:
Time for some research my friend. Would you believe the new Mustang withh the Track Pack posts higher skidpad ratings than the track-ready Miata? Sit back and see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bckQ-lCCSsg

Did you guys forget the Cobra R Mustang? That routinely pulled over 1 gs on the skidpad and was absolutely remarkable on the track! Yes it was limited and expensive (for a Mustang), but it just goes to show that a Mustang can be a very formidable track weapon if set up right. Enjoy the show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT_ONklzRjg
Research? I know a great bit about each of these cars. The Mustang GT is a crappy track car no matter which way you put it. The Cobra R doesn't fit the mass market description I stated (for exactly that purpose). The majority of Mustangs including the GT500 are not effective at handling road courses plain and simple. It won't be long until Ford designs a Mustang with independent F/R suspension and that is when hopefully the Mustang will be a formidable track weapon.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,423,789 times
Quote:

And another thing... Vipers arent meant to be comfortable. Theyre a rough-and-tumble sports car. Not comfortable? What did you expect? An LS470 seat? Would you also complain if you burned your legs on the sidepipes while exiting a 1st gen RT10, too?

And while the GT-R won this comparo youre about to see, it illustrates PERFECTLY how outclassed it is. I guess its comfortable and a pimply-faced teenager could jump in it and turn a quick laptime, so it wins? UGH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyesMboupuU
The magic behind the GT-R is that it can kick butt on a road course or drag strip, outclassing opponents with higher horsepower output while still being a relatively comfortable daily driver with good looks (subjective). It is truly a complete package and one that is only going to get better with successive revisions. The GT-R V-Spec also pulls 1.12G's on the skid pad, besting the Viper ACR.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM

4,466 posts, read 5,029,749 times
Quote:
The GT-R V-Spec also pulls 1.12G's on the skid pad, besting the Viper ACR.
The V-Spec is extremely expensive compared to the original though, mostly due to the carbon ceramic brakes, which for some reason is pricier even than the excellent Porsche set up.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 4,507,484 times
"hang with" is such a horrible term to use when talking about a track race

hang with becomes 40-60 seconds off in a 10 lap race

GT-R may be the fastest saloon for the money, best leave it at that :-)

Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM

432 posts, read 1,625,905 times
Grown men fighting on the internet.... nice!!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 PM

9,216 posts, read 12,525,943 times
Quote:
Research? I know a great bit about each of these cars. The Mustang GT is a crappy track car no matter which way you put it. The Cobra R doesn't fit the mass market description I stated (for exactly that purpose). The majority of Mustangs including the GT500 are not effective at handling road courses plain and simple. It won't be long until Ford designs a Mustang with independent F/R suspension and that is when hopefully the Mustang will be a formidable track weapon.
with the huge aftermarket for the mustangs they can be made into road racers or drag strip monsters they are a perfomance bargin and once the aftermaket builds around the new camaro it will be just as easy to mod like the old LS1 4th gens were. they could be made to a serious road course car plus the other upside is the mustang and camaro is affordable to most people the only GT-R's I see drving around are R33's that were imported right hand drive models

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-11-2009 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive