Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Put a set of slicks on that Super Snake and let the GT-R look at tail lights for a quarter of a mile. Been around racing my whole life and have seen it too many times. AWD is good for the street, but the advantage is gone on the track against a RWD Super Snake, or any other car with real power and slicks.
Yeah, and you just made my point why the GTR rocks compared to the Mustang. On the street, the GTR triumphs, and there can be no denying that. 0-80 is what is going to matter on the street. Who cares about the track anyways since most people will never go to it.. When I am going to work and running errands, the Nissan is going to be the much better car day to day by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM

14 posts, read 46,277 times
I watched the video and honestly it is a perfect example of why AWD is so hard to beat on street tires. The mustang would probably win from a roll, but from a dead stop on stock tires the GTR will win every time.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Put a set of slicks on that Super Snake and let the GT-R look at tail lights for a quarter of a mile. Been around racing my whole life and have seen it too many times. AWD is good for the street, but the advantage is gone on the track against a RWD Super Snake, or any other car with real power and slicks.
But if you put slicks, or even Street legal semi slicks on the GT-R it'll still easily outrun the supersnake on a track (and by track I mean something with corners). It just doesn't have the suspension and chassis to deal with the GT-R.

The GT-R is also a far better allrounder, it's 0.3 of a second slower than the ZR1 around Nürnbergring, both on stock tires (confirmed times), but where the ZR1 is widely known (atleast ourside USA) to not be a good day to day car (chassis works on track not comfy on road), the GT-R could be used by your grandmother to and from the shops.

And if you want to go REALLY fast in this, it still takes a lot of skills. Yes, the gizmos makes it easier for the average joe to go faster, but the laws of physics still apply, and balancing on the edge, takes as much skill in a GT-R as in a SS or ZR1 or any other car.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yeah, and you just made my point why the GTR rocks compared to the Mustang. On the street, the GTR triumphs, and there can be no denying that. 0-80 is what is going to matter on the street. Who cares about the track anyways since most people will never go to it.. When I am going to work and running errands, the Nissan is going to be the much better car day to day by far.

Well if your going to look at it "practically", your generally going to start racing from a roll... Mustang is gonna pull much harder than the GTR while rolling. Thats what the Mustang is meant for, just brute power, hit the gas and GOOO. The GTR does not have the punch that the Mustang does however it handles better.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
But if you put slicks, or even Street legal semi slicks on the GT-R it'll still easily outrun the supersnake on a track (and by track I mean something with corners). It just doesn't have the suspension and chassis to deal with the GT-R.

The GT-R is also a far better allrounder, it's 0.3 of a second slower than the ZR1 around Nürnbergring, both on stock tires (confirmed times), but where the ZR1 is widely known (atleast ourside USA) to not be a good day to day car (chassis works on track not comfy on road), the GT-R could be used by your grandmother to and from the shops.

And if you want to go REALLY fast in this, it still takes a lot of skills. Yes, the gizmos makes it easier for the average joe to go faster, but the laws of physics still apply, and balancing on the edge, takes as much skill in a GT-R as in a SS or ZR1 or any other car.
the mustang would work as a daily too there are alot of GT's so beside the GT500 being a bit lower and a stiffer suspension it should pretty easy to drive around town plus you got to love that supercharger whine

Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

Wrong about the slicks on a AWD. It just doesn't make the dramatic difference on an AWD like it does on a RWD car. Mustang is a strait line car, and the two were compared in the video on a drag strip.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 PM

89 posts, read 527,006 times
Quote:
Wrong about the slicks on a AWD. It just doesn't make the dramatic difference on an AWD like it does on a RWD car. Mustang is a strait line car, and the two were compared in the video on a drag strip.
You speak the truth. In a straight line, it will not make a difference on a stock power GTR. I had a previous gen GTR which suffered from too much grip and typically bogged off the line. Slicks for most AWDs that lack crazy power are more of a road course thing.

Its beating a dead horse a little, but I just can't take an expensive mustang seriously. The GT is a decent car, but until they can through in some proper suspension and bring the chassis up a few notches, it just is not in the same league no matter how much power or extras you add. On paper it puts down some good numbers, but the reality of driving the two is different.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
You speak the truth. In a straight line, it will not make a difference on a stock power GTR. I had a previous gen GTR which suffered from too much grip and typically bogged off the line. Slicks for most AWDs that lack crazy power are more of a road course thing.

Its beating a dead horse a little, but I just can't take an expensive mustang seriously. The GT is a decent car, but until they can through in some proper suspension and bring the chassis up a few notches, it just is not in the same league no matter how much power or extras you add. On paper it puts down some good numbers, but the reality of driving the two is different.
I belive the ford still uses the old 8.8 solid axel the only time ford had fully independant suspension was the cobra

Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I belive the ford still uses the old 8.8 solid axel the only time ford had fully independant suspension was the cobra
This is why Mustang's will never be taken seriously as sports cars until Ford develops a mass market product with a fully independent suspension. Current Mustang's make good power, look good (subjective, some don't like the redesigned rear end) and finally have a decent interior but they don't have the hardware necessary to perform well on a track with curves.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Axle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti