Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times

Advertisements

If so tell me more about it. I understand they read the air/fuel ratio. I know in a forced induction engine they can mean the difference between life or death on the engine.

I'm going to get one, and I already have an aftermarket electrical fuel PSI gauge next to my aftermarket mechanical boost gauge to ensure a 1 psi of fuel increase to 1 psi of boost increase....but suppose if the fuel didn't rise the 1 psi, and I didn't have the fuel psi gauge....that would cause a lean condition which the wideband would pick up on as fast as the fuel psi gauge, right?

Or do you recommend to always have a fuel psi gauge as a suppliemtn to a wideband? (hard to watch 'em all + running out of room inside...outside mounting not an option)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
I thought you just used 'em while tuning (maybe shows how much I know)

AEM has a nice wideband (digital).

You building a drag car? :-)

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
There's a good number of Impreza owners who ride with Wide bands, because the WRX engine can be a bit fragile if ran too lean (they have a nasty habit of developing engine knock when ran too lean).

If you go to North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club they'll be very qualified to help you out with any questions regarding the needs and uses of a wide band.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
I have owned multiple Ford Probes, but I remember this guy has one from memory. I honestly have no idea what it does though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1mjP2oLVs

Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 PM

625 posts, read 4,570,244 times
You don't necessarily need to run a wideband all the time-just for tuning. But it's probably not a bad thing to have anyway-I use an AEM Uego. I just run the normal stock fuel gauge, but I'm running a standalone computer that controls the injectors vs. using a fuel pressure riser like you're doing. I'm not sure how quick you would be able to detect the fuel pressure didn't rise to make a difference anyway-seems to me the fuel pressure gauge would just be useful in seeing if your fuel pump is starting to go south.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
You building a drag car? :-)
Kinda sorta. It's a turbo car and it's one of those deals where it's running a bit more boost than stock, so proper air and fuel mixture are critical to longevity of the engine. Too little fuel and at best it's head gasket replacement time, at worst the engine self destructs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
I'm not sure how quick you would be able to detect the fuel pressure didn't rise to make a difference anyway-seems to me the fuel pressure gauge would just be useful in seeing if your fuel pump is starting to go south.
Simple, I have the boost and fuel psi gauges next to each other...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive