U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 PM
 
Location: (Lyndon) Louisville KY USA
5,570 posts, read 12,525,221 times
Reputation: 3504
Smile Muffler dragged on pavement for 20 miles... does it have to be checked out?

Hola amigos

I was coming back today and a bolt came lose and my muffler began dragging on the pavement. I stopped and tied it with a bungee chord which melted and broke 5 minutes later. I drove on home since I didn't want to wait 3 hours for AAA.

Question: my 'mom' thinks it must be looked at a muffler shop, she says it could spark and ignite the gas tank. I tied it back on with a hanger and it looks and sounds fine - I'd hate to spend $300 on it when it's already fixed (that would buy a lot of tacos).

Do you all think it really needs to be professionally looked at?

 
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: The Milky Way Galaxy
2,240 posts, read 3,605,540 times
Reputation: 1430
Honestly its hard to say how long it'll stay ok in the position you have it in using a hangar to tie it back without seeing pics or anything. Spark and ignite the gas tank? If you drove home draggin it, it mustve been sparking the whole time dragging on the ground. Definitely won't ignite the gas tank unless you got some gasoline leaking. Could possibly ignite leaking oil...

Why don't you just jack up the car, find the replacement bolt and fix it? Should be that hard....its really a ghetto fix you got going there...
 
Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Arizona & Wisconsin
4,930 posts, read 5,825,977 times
Reputation: 6367
Mom's right, in that it should be fixed the right way. A coat hanger is OK for an emergency fix, but not for something you want to be remotely durable. Ignition of the gas tank assumes a huge leak, which I'm guessing you don't have. I wouldn't worry about that. But get it repaired properly. If it falls again and drags for another 20 miles, next time it might not be repairable.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
13,697 posts, read 3,802,818 times
Reputation: 12320
A muffler shop could fix that problem for far less than 300 bucks.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,466 posts, read 4,905,289 times
Reputation: 2710
Do it yourself, but do it properly, if there's no leaks (from the muffler) then the condition is fine, for now.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 7,728,192 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Hola amigos

I was coming back today and a bolt came lose and my muffler began dragging on the pavement. I stopped and tied it with a bungee chord which melted and broke 5 minutes later. I drove on home since I didn't want to wait 3 hours for AAA.

Question: my 'mom' thinks it must be looked at a muffler shop, she says it could spark and ignite the gas tank. I tied it back on with a hanger and it looks and sounds fine - I'd hate to spend $300 on it when it's already fixed (that would buy a lot of tacos).

Do you all think it really needs to be professionally looked at?
In your youthful way you have created a very dangerous situation.

The exhaust system is supposed to make sure that no exhaust get in the car which it can't do now since you let it get damaged. No only is there a fire danger but you've also created a way for exhaust gasses to enter the passenger compartment of this car.

The only qualified people who can give this car the ok to drive , and it AIN'T YOU!, is a qualified exhaust shop! So instead of risking death for all who ride/drive this car man up and do the right thing and get it ok'd , or repaired, by a pro exhaust shop.

God, I hate it when some kid thinks they know everything then plead innocence should something bad happen due to their youthful arrogance.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 PM
 
3,945 posts, read 6,245,575 times
Reputation: 2369
I'd worry more about it coming loose at high speeds and going through another car's windshield and killin' 'em.

I was on the New Jersey Turnpike one time....and a muffler fell off a car up ahead. It must have hit the pavement just right because it bounced up about 50 feet in the air and was flying end over end....looked just like a field goal attempt. I shot over onto the shoulder and that sucker just missed me!
 
Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,466 posts, read 4,905,289 times
Reputation: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In your youthful way you have created a very dangerous situation.

The exhaust system is supposed to make sure that no exhaust get in the car which it can't do now since you let it get damaged. No only is there a fire danger but you've also created a way for exhaust gasses to enter the passenger compartment of this car.

The only qualified people who can give this car the ok to drive , and it AIN'T YOU!, is a qualified exhaust shop! So instead of risking death for all who ride/drive this car man up and do the right thing and get it ok'd , or repaired, by a pro exhaust shop.

God, I hate it when some kid thinks they know everything then plead innocence should something bad happen due to their youthful arrogance.
Are you seriously suggesting that he'd gas himself and other to death with his own car without noticing the distinct smell and smoke of exhaust as it enters the passenger compartment?

Or am I reading your post all wrong?
 
Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,700 posts, read 16,216,553 times
Reputation: 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that he'd gas himself and other to death with his own car without noticing the distinct smell and smoke of exhaust as it enters the passenger compartment?

Or am I reading your post all wrong?
Carbon monoxide is odorless.. but if there was an exhaust leak, the OP would hear it loud and clear.
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,466 posts, read 4,905,289 times
Reputation: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Carbon monoxide is odorless.. but if there was an exhaust leak, the OP would hear it loud and clear.
That being true, the rest of the exhaust isn't, and if the Carbon Monoxide gets in, I'd assume the rest would too. Not to mention the fact that with the ventilation on (circulation air into the vehicle/standard position) or AC you'll quickly move the Carbon Monoxide out of the vehicle as well, and, as you said, it's VERY audible. (My O2 sensor fell out a while back, I thought the entire exhause had fallen off.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top