Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Vermont, and I haven't heard of a single car fire.
Vermont... enough said. Typical of nanny states to pull bs like that. I'm sure NY is next to adopt this if we haven't already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah I saw a video where a spark ingnites the gas and the the guy pulls the nozzle out and it like a flame thrower throwing gas and fire all over the station
That was True Lies, not your nightly news.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That was True Lies, not your nightly news.
LOL I did find it kinda odd that arnold schwarzenegger was involved

Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
but I think the worse thing you can do is get back in your car when filling up because it causes a static charge which really can ignite the gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI

Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
but I think the worse thing you can do is get back in your car when filling up because it causes a static charge which really can ignite the gas.
Good point, GTO

Also, I understand under certain conditions a Cell Phone is able to create a similar scenario.

Have we all become so important and/or busy we feel compelled to "multi-task" 24/7?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:34 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI

LOL! As much as I hate it... I always tap the body of my vehicle to ground myself to it. I hate static shocks! You should also tap the body again after you grab the pump nozzle to ground the body relative to the pump.

The body generates static charge by the wind passing over it as you drive. And then you generate static charge when you slide off your seat to get out. Some people drive around with those conductive straps hanging off and dragging on the ground. That keeps the body grounded to earth, which also what the pumps are grounded to.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Well, I have to hand it to that little gal for not losing her head. I was expecting much worse.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Vermont... enough said. Typical of nanny states to pull bs like that. I'm sure NY is next to adopt this if we haven't already.
Even here for cash-strapped corrupt NJ state government.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:45 PM

275 posts, read 743,314 times
I experienced once shut off thing, was filling my car and cleaning the window. No fire, but some spilled gas(1/4 Gal may be). Glad I was near and stopped it.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,410 times
I agree with this. I once saw a young woman who was deep in conversation on her cell phone whilst resting on the front hood of the car. At the back of the car, the gas pump had not clicked off and was busy pumping gas all over the floor in a fairly major way. I approached her to let her know she might want to sort it out and as I approached her I could tell that she was very defensive and ready to give me an attitude for approaching her. Her tune changed when she saw the gas spilling all over the floor. I also mentioned to her that she might want to finish the phone call before approaching the mini-lake spreading across the forecourt. Needless to say she blamed it on the pump (I could hear her swearing away on the phone to her friend).

Why does everyone seemingly need to spend 24/7 talking to someone else, are their lives so vacuous that they need to fill in the silence?

- Tim
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive