Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I agree with this. I once saw a young woman who was deep in conversation on her cell phone whilst resting on the front hood of the car. At the back of the car, the gas pump had not clicked off and was busy pumping gas all over the floor in a fairly major way. I approached her to let her know she might want to sort it out and as I approached her I could tell that she was very defensive and ready to give me an attitude for approaching her. Her tune changed when she saw the gas spilling all over the floor. I also mentioned to her that she might want to finish the phone call before approaching the mini-lake spreading across the forecourt. Needless to say she blamed it on the pump (I could hear her swearing away on the phone to her friend).

Why does everyone seemingly need to spend 24/7 talking to someone else, are their lives so vacuous that they need to fill in the silence?

- Tim
You're much nicer than I would have been, Tim.

In fact, as soon as I heard the attitude, I would have said nothing. These obnoxious Cell Phone Addicts are becoming more and more ridiculous every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:16 PM

454 posts, read 688,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
What if the auto-shutoff malfunctioned?
LOL, true story. I drove an '87 (something) couple years ago...auto shut off stopped working.

I was chatting with my friend while holding the nozzle and I heard some water splashing in the background. My friend looked down in horror as gasoline was spilling all over the concrete and my car

So everytime fill-up time came, I had to watch it carefully. It would overfill quite often. Messy, messy, messy...

Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 PM

454 posts, read 688,681 times
That girl in the video is silly!

She wearing a sweater, fondling and touching her wooly sweater in freezing temperatures around an EXTREMELY flammable area, jumps into the car, jumps back out and touches the plug.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
How many of you use cell phones at gas stations. You might want to stop that practice also.

We had a very scary time at a station in Virginia when my husband was filling up and the automatic cut-off did not cut the gas flow. Gas was going everywhere. The gas station worker came out with some kind of material to put on the overflow, but I was almost scared to start the car.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:20 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
How many of you use cell phones at gas stations. You might want to stop that practice also.
I agree you should not use a cell phone when pumping gas. You should be giving full attention to what you're doing.

As for a cell phone creating a fire hazard at the pump, that has been proven false many times.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:06 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah I saw a video where a spark ingnites the gas and the the guy pulls the nozzle out and it like a flame thrower throwing gas and fire all over the station
like in Point Break

Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
i work at a gas station in southeast Arkansas. i'm pretty sure it's against the law to smoke at gas pumps, but i cant prove it, as i havent seen the written law, although i've been searching the internet for it. i'm still not at all comfortable with people doing it. i cringe when i see people do it. i'm also not sure about the fines for leaving your vehicle unattended while pumping. i do applaud that fire marshall for doing so, because sometimes the pumps wont click off and gas goes everywhere, creating a huge mess for the clerk to clean up. adn to clean it up you must first make a bigger mess by using oil dry to soak it up. it also envolves the EPA standards, which is a pain to deal with in itself.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Vermont... enough said. Typical of nanny states to pull bs like that. I'm sure NY is next to adopt this if we haven't already.
But in the nanny state of Vermont it is legal to self-pump gas while nude, as long as you remain out by your car on the pump island. Can you do that in your free red state?

Ah, wait, I know what your libertarian reply will be: "But I don't want to do that, so that's not a protected freedom."

Last edited by jtur88; 11-27-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
According to this article, staying by the pump and handling the nozzle can actually increase the risk of fire, which is triggered by the static electricity that you are carrying.

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Old 11-27-2013, 11:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
There are warning signs at Texas and smoikng is prohibited. As to static the real problem comes when you put pump on auto shut off then get back in car. You need to touch metal car surface before nozzle. If before the nozzle/ grounded pump goes the job with no gas flowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive