Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,290 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
For those of you who have experience towing heavy loads, I want your advice. I want to find out if it's safe to tow a 2-horse trailer (with a small tack room in it) using a 4.7L, 8-cylinder Dodge Dakota. I would like to get a 2005 model or newer, automatic, preferably 4x4.

Could that handle the load safely, especially when hills and/or small mountains are involved?

I live 30 minutes outside a 100K population city, and would like to make this my everyday vehicle when I travel into town for work (more maneuverable than a full-size). My wife doesn't know how to drive a straight drive, which is what our F150 is, so I was considering the Dakota -- which she could use on occassion to pull the horses.

I'm thinking it would get used probably fewer than 10 times a year in towing the horse trailer (the other times, I'd drive the F150), and often there'd be only one horse in the trailer, not two, when the Dakota is pulling it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
Hey all,
For those of you who have experience towing heavy loads, I want your advice. I want to find out if it's safe to tow a 2-horse trailer (with a small tack room in it) using a 4.7L, 8-cylinder Dodge Dakota. I would like to get a 2005 model or newer, automatic, preferably 4x4.

Could that handle the load safely, especially when hills and/or small mountains are involved?

I live 30 minutes outside a 100K population city, and would like to make this my everyday vehicle when I travel into town for work (more maneuverable than a full-size). My wife doesn't know how to drive a straight drive, which is what our F150 is, so I was considering the Dakota -- which she could use on occassion to pull the horses.

I'm thinking it would get used probably fewer than 10 times a year in towing the horse trailer (the other times, I'd drive the F150), and often there'd be only one horse in the trailer, not two, when the Dakota is pulling it.

Any thoughts?

The definitive answer to your question lies in what the trailer weighs and the towing capacity of the Dakota in question, which I think is going to vary by engine option and maybe axle option. There will be a sticker in the door jamb stating the factory recommended towing limits.

Have you considered trying to teach your wife how to drive stick? This would be best done in someone's old "beater" that is about due for a clutch anyway, one where the clutch is not a bear to replace. Or, consider having her take lessons with a professional driving school. This is what I did with my wife (just getting her the license, she does not yet drive stick). Slightly O/T but trying to teach family members to drive in a car you give a damn about will at the very least generate a lot of unnecessary stress on you and your student. Just say'in.

Would you just have the 2 trucks, or do you have other cars?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
hmm depending on weight I would look at a newer f-150 5.4 liter or chevy 1500 5.3 liter just because when towing heavy loads with a smaller lighter truck it tends to push it around alot and with a driver not very experienced in towing it could become a problem and having that extra power in a larger truck will be nice when merging or passing on a freeway or going up long grades

Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Have you considered trying to teach your wife how to drive stick?
I have tried to teach her to drive stick with varying degrees of success -- anywhere from slim to none

We did the parking lot thing at least three times, and she really didn't come close to getting a good handle on driving a stick shift. Probably would be better if I could teach her in a car rather than a full-size pickup truck (less intimidating, at least). But bottom line is she's convinced that she won't be able to learn it anytime soon. Though I hadn't thought of a professional teacher before.

She has an SUV that is her main car. Our stick-shift truck is primarily farm-use, as I have an everyday vehicle that I would trade in if we got a Dakota.

I should mention, too, that the horse trailer has it's own braking system. It was willed to us, so I don't have a lot of the original paperwork to know exactly how much it weighs, etc.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I have tried to teach her to drive stick with varying degrees of success -- anywhere from slim to none

We did the parking lot thing at least three times, and she really didn't come close to getting a good handle on driving a stick shift. Probably would be better if I could teach her in a car rather than a full-size pickup truck (less intimidating, at least). But bottom line is she's convinced that she won't be able to learn it anytime soon. Though I hadn't thought of a professional teacher before.

She has an SUV that is her main car. Our stick-shift truck is primarily farm-use, as I have an everyday vehicle that I would trade in if we got a Dakota.

I should mention, too, that the horse trailer has it's own braking system. It was willed to us, so I don't have a lot of the original paperwork to know exactly how much it weighs, etc.
the thing is if the brakes on the trailer fail you want a big enough truck to be able control and be able to stop the trailer by itself without the brakes on the truck overheating or fading out. since you are getting rid of your daily driver you could also get rid of your farm truck and get a larger truck to do both jobs alot of the newer full size trucks are pretty decent on gas comfortable to drive as a daily driver and will meet all your towing needs. anyways Be sure to check the towing capacity of the truck you are considering to make sure it meets your needs. In general, look for a vehicle with good hp and torque and with a suitable suspension. Special towing packages are available on some trucks.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Pickup Truck Load Guidelines
I'm sure you've heard different models of pickup trucks referred to as half-ton, three-quarter-ton, and one-ton vehicles. All three terms refer to pickup truck load capacity. For instance, a half ton truck's springs, chassis, and bed are designed to safely carry a maximum of 1000 pounds, or one-half of a ton.

Most manufacturers have stopped using weight-related terminology to describe their pickup trucks. They've switched to number or letter designations that don't usually help you determine a truck's load rating, but you'll always find it listed in the vehicle's specifications.
Half-Ton Pickup Trucks - General Purpose

Drive to work

Move furniture

Haul trash

Modify to create a lowrider or sport truck

Three-Quarter-Ton Pickup Trucks - General Purpose, Heavier Loads

Hauling dirt or sand

Light fifth-wheel trailer use with in-bed campers

One-Ton Pickup Trucks - Heavy Cargo

Hauling large loads of sand, dirt or wood

Large in-bed campers

Heavy fifth-wheel trailers, such as horse trailers or car trailers

More About Load Capacity

Engine, transmission, axle gearing, and "people load" also play a part in the capabilities of your truck.

Overload springs help keep the vehicle level when loaded or overloaded, but they do not strengthen the axle, wheel bearings, tires or frame.
thanks to Pickup Truck Load Capacity - Truck Load Capacity - Hauling Loads in Your Truck for the info...

Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Any thoughts?

If it was me, I wouldn't do it. Here's why...

First of all, the Dakota 4x4 does not get any better mileage than a full-sized 4x4. Nor are the Dakotas cheap. So you're not really saving any money by having one.

Second, power is not the problem when towing. Stability and stopping are the issues. You don't have to go 80 mph, but you do have to stop.

We had this exact same issue back when my son had a Chevy S-10 (I know that's a different truck than a Dakota, but it's the same principle). It was rated at the same HP as my full-sized Chevy, but he couldn't pull anything substantial. The S-10 simply did not have the weight to keep the trailer on the road.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
Before you even thinking about another pickup...if that horse trailer is the only thing you tow, and is the heaviest item to haul...

Find out how much the horse trailer weigh, its tongue weight, etc. Calculate with a loaded trailer, not empty. Then shop for a pickup with the proper accommodations.

Or just buy a 1-ton and be done with it.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM

GTO: Thanks for the guidelines breakdown. I appreciate that.

In all, though, a big reason that I was asking about the Dakota is that I have to drive into the city for work, and it's pretty tight trying to maneuver downtown. Not impossible, as I've done it many times with my farm truck, just difficult. As an example, I have to go a few blocks out of my way to approach my company's parking lot from another side when I have my full-size because the lot entrance is angled funky (not to mention that there's not a lot of room for trucks in the lot in general).

It can be trivial, but day in and day out, it adds up. And that's what made me consider having a smaller truck for everyday use if -- and only if -- I felt it would also be able to haul the trailer when needed.

Just checked the trailer company's web site, and similar-style trailers weigh in at about 3,500 lbs. Plus one horse, that'll be about 4,600. Two horses, let's say about 5,700. I assume that's probably pushing it, but I'm not sure.

Thank you all for the responses so far! Much appreciated!!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Just checked the trailer company's web site, and similar-style trailers weigh in at about 3,500 lbs. Plus one horse, that'll be about 4,600. Two horses, let's say about 5,700. I assume that's probably pushing it, but I'm not sure.

Thank you all for the responses so far! Much appreciated!!
That's definitely pushing it. You've also got to consider the weight of the other stuff you're inevitably going to throw in the truck & trailer.

Again, power is definitely not going to be your problem with that newer Dakota. Stability and stopping ability are the problems.

It's too bad you can't actually try one out before you buy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive