Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,142 times

Advertisements

I'm in this situation right now (end of December 2015), looking for a 2015 Prius (which is virtually the same as the 2014). The new 2016 Prius is going to have an updated body, better gas mileage, and probably some other stuff, but will obviously be priced higher (should come out in late January/early February is what the dealers are saying).

In my opinion, the dealers should be very eager to get rid of these 2015's but I'm not getting the deals that I want, at least not yet. I don't really want the 2016 version, the 2015 version is just fine granted it's at the right price (price matters much more than having the newest model).

Basically, I want the dealerships to get a little desperate, so would waiting until January work in my favor? From what I can tell, they've got plenty of 2015's on their lot (Prius sales are as robust as they used to be from what I read).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 03:50 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,776 times
Have you thought about looking for a low-mileage lease turn-in? That way you'll avoid the huge first-year depreciation hit and score a car with warranty remaining and few if any issues. Cheaper to insure, too.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:08 PM

806 posts, read 957,889 times
A common mistake I see with shoppers is they see the MSRP stickers on new cars and automatically assume they can't afford it. So they go across the street to a used car lot and buy a year old used one at $3000 discount when even minimal research would have told them they can get a brand new one at $5000 off after discounts, incentives and rebates.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
I've always wondered what kind of special prep work they do when they sell new vehicles that sit around for so long. Do they periodically change the fluids and batteries, and turn the engine over?

At the Honda lot where I briefly worked, we would wash and periodically run the used cars only.. they have a very high selling margin. The new cars were not washed until the new owner was in finance. Some of them were test driven with thick layers of dust.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 PM

384 posts, read 733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
I've always wondered what kind of special prep work they do when they sell new vehicles that sit around for so long. Do they periodically change the fluids and batteries, and turn the engine over?

The batteries go bad. I been changing them at least 1 a week. Another thing I've seen bird sh*t all over the trucks. We just wash it.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,761,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I'm in this situation right now (end of December 2015), looking for a 2015 Prius (which is virtually the same as the 2014). The new 2016 Prius is going to have an updated body, better gas mileage, and probably some other stuff, but will obviously be priced higher (should come out in late January/early February is what the dealers are saying).

In my opinion, the dealers should be very eager to get rid of these 2015's but I'm not getting the deals that I want, at least not yet. I don't really want the 2016 version, the 2015 version is just fine granted it's at the right price (price matters much more than having the newest model).

Basically, I want the dealerships to get a little desperate, so would waiting until January work in my favor? From what I can tell, they've got plenty of 2015's on their lot (Prius sales are as robust as they used to be from what I read).
If they are selling well, then there is no incentive to give you a large discount.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:34 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
If they are selling well, then there is no incentive to give you a large discount.
If a particular model has been selling well, there may not even be any 2015s left in stock, at this point.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times
It doesn't happen around here. They sell everything they have well before the new year or shortly thereafter. Most have limited stock as it is .

Old 12-29-2015, 06:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It doesn't happen around here. They sell everything they have well before the new year or shortly thereafter. Most have limited stock as it is .
I've noticed a trend in the last 12-15 years or so, and that is that the new vehicle inventory tends to churn pretty quickly at most dealers. Aside from some of the slow-selling models, most appear to sell within 2-3 months of receipt from the manufacturer. That's also good business practice for the dealers, as they don't have to pay a lot of interest on unsold inventory, and the manufacturers don't have to pay as much in incentives to move leftover stock. Most 2015 model year vehicles stopped rolling off the assembly lines last July or August, so you would be talking about something sitting in inventory at least 4 months, or longer.

I recall another thread here recently, where a poster was looking for a bare-bones rock-bottom price pickup truck, and another poster boasted of having just purchased a brand-new stripper 2014 model year F150 regular cab work truck, for thousands below invoice. But few dealers are going to have such previous year "one-only" vehicles that late in the game. That particular truck sounded like one of the "bait-and-switch" vehicles that some dealers like to advertise as a "loss-leader", knowing that very few retail customers are going to want a bare-bones vehicle like that.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:40 AM

806 posts, read 957,889 times
I just saw 2014s being advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive