Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,942,616 times

Advertisements

*Sigh*

I guess there's always the Twit Filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,698,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
*Sigh*

I guess there's always the Twit Filter.
Just put your two index fingers in your ears and say "NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH", it's the same thing.

If you filter me you could be missing out on some great debate in the future. What a shame that would be.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,181,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Ok.... so you DON'T own one, I'm guessing you don't even have intentions of ever owning one. Why not? According to you they are the best thing since sliced bread if your a "city slicker". Whats to stop you from buying one? I hope it isn't the dismal fuel efficiency or the less than stellar safety ratings.
This seems like an unfair hit below the belt. He brought point to your claims so in response, given the absence of any asked for proof on your part to back it up, you go on this personal attack based on whether he owns a Smart or not. Owning a vehicle is not a requirement to discuss a vehicle especially in on a internet forum. I'm not a fan of the Smart but I do find it a fascinating vehicle none the less and I agree that it does fill a certain niche in a way that few vehicles do. I would hope there could be a discussion without the Nah Nah Nah, etc kinds of responses.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,698,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This seems like an unfair hit below the belt. He brought point to your claims so in response, given the absence of any asked for proof on your part to back it up, you go on this personal attack based on whether he owns a Smart or not. Owning a vehicle is not a requirement to discuss a vehicle especially in on a internet forum. I'm not a fan of the Smart but I do find it a fascinating vehicle none the less and I agree that it does fill a certain niche in a way that few vehicles do. I would hope there could be a discussion without the Nah Nah Nah, etc kinds of responses.
I treat others as I expect to be treated myself. Call me names, accuse me of being stupid whatever, that's fine, I listen to everybody no matter what I think of them. Did I personally attack? I don't know, that's not my job to determine. What I did do is ask a personal question. I consider my question substantially based considering the individual does nothing but defend the car. The only things I defend to no end are things that I own.... These vehicles are not worth the investment, that's why I don't own one. Even if I lived in hong kong I would not own one of those things, there are better cars with better fuel efficiency and better safety ratings. They are small but they are of substandard technology as far as i'm concerned... THATS MY OPINION. If small was somebodys only concern then they should ride a bicycle or eliminate parking all together by using public transportation.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:28 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,181,090 times
Nobody has said you are not entitled to your opinion. What was questioned is the passing off of that opinion as fact, then you going off on someone when they questioned you on this. Demanding that someone give what car they drive as some sort of qualification to make a point isn't allowing them the same courtesy you are just demanding. It was obvious you were looking to discredit without even addressing what was posted.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,031,602 times
Quote:
Just put your two index fingers in your ears and say "NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH", it's the same thing.

If you filter me you could be missing out on some great debate in the future. What a shame that would be.
Very doubtful.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,031,602 times
Quote:
Ok fine, you want one as a toy, you've already made that abundantly clear.

No one is cowering in fear here, your creating that observation. The latter portion of this thread has been to discuss the actual safety of a smart car.
It was I that posted links to the 'actual' safety ratings of the car, good and bad. Not the knee jerk, 'it is small and unfamiliar and therefore bad' crap that you and others have posted.

And it is my opinion that you and others do 'cower in fear' when it come to anything of less size and mass than you are comfortable with.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 930 times
has any of the above owned or use a smartcar? i've owned one for 5 years and it has close to 60K miles my granddaughter uses every summer, drives it from cape cod to Boston, it has been up in the New Hampshire Mountains. the mileage on the highway is close to 50 MPG around the local roads 40 MPG. It does what you ask and if your realistic on what you can do with it you are as save as with any other vehicle.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,942,616 times
^^ BS.

If you're getting that kind of mileage then you're well, well outside the typical petrol Smart owner experience and either a) you have a ringer, or b) you drive like a hypermiling ninny in which case you'd likely be getting similar mileage out of any vehicle with a similar fuel economy rating.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,167,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ BS.

If you're getting that kind of mileage then you're well, well outside the typical petrol Smart owner experience and either a) you have a ringer, or b) you drive like a hypermiling ninny in which case you'd likely be getting similar mileage out of any vehicle with a similar fuel economy rating.
I have several friends who imported Smart cars from Europe and Canada and they were consistently getting 50 mpg. This occurred before they were introduced in the US.

Most of the people that bought the US model are getting about 42 mpg - or not much better than a Toyota Yaris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart