Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
How do these "good" lawyers sleep at night?
I meant "good" as in they can get their clients off, not as in they are good and ethical people in general. I certainly do not respect the lawyer who got OJ off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I meant "good" as in they can get their clients off, not as in they are good and ethical people in general. I certainly do not respect the lawyer who got OJ off.
Oh...nothing meant towards your post....I understand perfectly. The word "good" being used to describe an unethical attorney getting his clients off, knowing very well they are guilty as sin.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
How do these "good" lawyers sleep at night?
They don't care, simple as that. They are just as much scum as the people they represent, only for them its legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
^ How did your trial end?
Gov't can seize but they need to prove their reasoning for seizure. We dealt with an automobile seizure and my main point was that cars are such a necessary tool for Americans... to have the gov't just take it for investigation without any solid reasoning is Constitutionally unacceptable. It is a violation of Due Process IMHO.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Quote:
Oh...nothing meant towards your post....I understand perfectly. The word "good" being used to describe an unethical attorney getting his clients off, knowing very well they are guilty as sin.
Lawyers don't get anybody "off" because they aren't "on" in the first place. The state has the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. If the state fails to meet its burden, the state loses.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
It's not unethical. What would be unethical would be for the lawyer to decide who is guilty, and to withhold his best services frm the defendant because he thinks the defendant should be punished.

The criminal justice system can't work without a defense bar willing to take on all cases and to hold the state to its burden of proof. Otherwise we have a system where the prosecutor decides on the charge, decides the defendant is guilty, and decides on the punishment. All those who are fond of talking about our constitutional rights should keep in mind the constitutional right not to be punished unless the state proves the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
"Unethical?" On the contrary, he has an ethical obligation to zealously advocate for his client's interests. There's a bigger issue at stake to providing a vigorous defense to people who are, on the surface anyway, obivously guilty, and that's making sure the government has a solid case before they can throw someone in jail or otherwise deprive them of their liberties. The integrity of our judicial system depends on it. I don't want to live in a society where a vigorous defense against state charges is considered "unethical." We call that a "police state."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
They don't care, simple as that. They are just as much scum as the people they represent, only for them its legal.
Spend some time with a criminal defense attorney some day. Those "scum" are there to defend your rights when the state decides to put you on trial too. The burnout rate for criminal defense attorneys is extremely high because, contrary to the trite cynical bullcrap like you posted, they actually do have a conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive