U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:09 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,901,236 times

Advertisements

We were at a gas station today and it was really busy. Cars were lined up, some backing in, some pulling through, facing each other, etc. It was really kind of crazy. Some cars had tanks on the right, while others had tanks on the left. It got me thinking...was it always this way in the past? When I was a kid, a lot of the doors were behind the license plate and it didn't matter how you pulled into the station. Today it seemed very chaotic. Is there a reason why it is placed on one side or another? Would it be easier if all cars had the door on the same side, or would that be just another unecessary control? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM

14,097 posts, read 14,492,495 times
It would make it easier. At one time, the fuel fill cap was behind the license plate on some cars. I like mine on the passenger side. No chance of hitting the door on the pumps when getting out the car.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM

43,401 posts, read 47,342,340 times
Persoanlly i like it to be on the driversside;much easier to judge the closeness of the pumps IMO. Here sations allow you to pll in on either edn from the pump :i relly casn't ay I ever had only one entrnce allowed.Alot of those old veheicles with the filler behind the license palte also had the tank exposed to collision from the rear;which wasn't good.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM

16,861 posts, read 16,748,490 times
68 Ford Galaxie was on the left side.
Pick ups used to be right behind the driver's side door, tank behind the seat.
I may be wrong but I think Ford kept most of their fill caps on the side while GM and Chrysler went to the behind license plate location. Safety regs took that away.

Look at about 30 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq4Bp...eature=related

Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,901,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
. Here sations allow you to pll in on either edn from the pump :i relly casn't ay I ever had only one entrnce allowed.\
That's the way it was today. You could pull in from either side, and people were waiting in line from either side. After waiting, I pulled up in my Ford Mustang w/ my tank on the left and the Explorer was pulling up w/ his tank on the right.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM

860 posts, read 1,197,395 times
I prefer it on the right

Old 01-02-2010, 05:03 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,005,941 times
My truck is the first vehicle I have had where the filler door is on the side. I love having them behind the license plate... it's the best way IMO.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:25 PM

6,349 posts, read 7,424,726 times
Ever watch someone pull up to the pump and get out of their car only to find the filler door on the other side of the car? Then they get in and turn the car around but come up on the other side of the pump only to have the same situation.

Here's the '56 Chevy fuel filler location. The driver's side taillight was on a hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas tank filler doors...which side?-56-chevy-gas-fill.jpg  

Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM

7,989 posts, read 16,238,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Ever watch someone pull up to the pump and get out of their car only to find the filler door on the other side of the car? Then they get in and turn the car around but come up on the other side of the pump only to have the same situation.
That's called Free Gas Station Entertainment, Gimme.

Experts claim the hose on the "gas tank icon" on the dash is supposed to designate which side the filler is on . . . works on my old Jeep but not on my 2005 Chevy, GO FIGURE.

I believe safety concerns and regulations plus frequent leakage created the end of fillers being located behind the rear license plate.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,914,205 times
I always wondered why it mattered. Here in Hong Kong, the pump line is long enough to reach the far side of the car and all gas stations are one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive