Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 PM

127 posts, read 326,113 times

Advertisements

Hello all have a question for you,

My 08 Acura MDX is now fully paid off and I would like to keep it as my travel car and get a fun car and am interested in the Audi S4, I was in front of one today on the highway but it was an 08 or so not the newer one and thought the front end looked sexy and the 09/10's look even better with the LED daytime running lights, I however don't really know anything about this car and was wondering what some of you guys think about it? such as is it really fun to drive? hows the interior, and infotainment systems, comfort, space, etc. I know its a relatively tight car but that is obviously what I'm seeking for a fun car, although still would like a little stretch out room, any opinions appreciated! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 PM

143 posts, read 741,629 times
they are great to drive. very comfortable.good torque.and fast. but make sure you got a relatively new one,so the warranty is still there.all audi`s are well known for weak frontend steering komponents,and alot of electrical gremlins.and the parts are expensive.so for me,its the last car i even considers.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 PM

I've heard the german auto's can be notoriously bad and expensive for repairs/etc. but I plan on getting rid of it around 55-60,000 miles anyway so during that time there shouldnt be much correct?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:29 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
...Well, it won't be as fun as a RWD car, or one with the engine mounted in a better position. That said, it's not a bad car, but wouldn't be my first choice as a fun car, more a sporty commuter.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
...Well, it won't be as fun as a RWD car, or one with the engine mounted in a better position. That said, it's not a bad car, but wouldn't be my first choice as a fun car, more a sporty commuter.
Any other ideas as far as a fun RWD sedam thats tight but not extremely small, powerful, fun to drive, great interior? I'm kinda lost here looking as I currently own an Acura MDX and my two previous cars before that were an 06 Acura RL (not to sporty at all) and my other car before that which was my very first car was an 02 TL Type S (Somewhat sporty but not really)

Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
RWD vs. AWD is personal preference.

The S4 is an awesome car, tons of fun and beautifully designed and equipped.

By far one of my favorite cars on the road, though I prefer the S5.

Drive the Audi, a BMW 335 or M3, a Lexus IS-F, see what you like. In the price ranges you are looking at, they are all great and fun cars, it's just personal preference as to what gets you going.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Larger engine BMW 3 series are very fun, the E46 model series is lighter than the current range, but either would work, with the sport suspension and anything more than 250hp. They're balanced beautifully and a sheer joy to drive.

For a toy, which is what it sounds like you're looking for; I'd strongly suggest trying to find a late year E46 M3, by this point they'd gotten the problems worked out of it, and you were lest with a driving machine engined by possibly BMW M divisions best work to date.

Alternately the new M3 if you can afford it and want the V8.

Hmm, the new Jag XFR is highly acclaimed, but might very well be too expensive, and too big.

Not a RWD vehicle, but the Subaru Impreza WRX STis are an absolute riot to drive, they grip like there's no tomorrow, and powerslides like they've done nothing else. Downside is that the interior leaves something to be desired, when comparing to the German cars, and the fact that the brand and model has a bad rep amongst certain people.

Is there are reason why you want a sedan, as opposed to say, a Coupe or Convertible?

I might think of others too if you give me some time.

But don't buy the Audi without trying atleast 2-3 different BMWs, and frankly if you can stretch the budget, and 911 (996 and up) would be perfect if you can live with only two doors.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Not a RWD vehicle, but the Subaru Impreza WRX STis are an absolute riot to drive, they grip like there's no tomorrow, and powerslides like they've done nothing else. Downside is that the interior leaves something to be desired, when comparing to the German cars, and the fact that the brand and model has a bad rep amongst certain people.
Other downsides: looks like the boy-racer that it is instead of a buttoned-down executive car like the S4; just looks and feels cheaper all around. Of course, that's because it is cheaper all around.

Other upsides: will run toe-to-toe with an S4 for a lot less money; better weight distribution (not as nose-heavy as an S4); much of the understeer inherent in an AWD setup can be dialed out by setting the adjustable center diff to 65% rear torque bias, plus rear LSD also helps with this.

Honestly though, right now it's hard to justify the price of an STi when the regular WRX will now give it a serious run for its money in a way it never did before. The only real benefits I see to the STi are the driver-selectable center diff and the stronger gearbox; the latter really only being necessary if you plan to mod up near the 375+HP range. I also prefer LSD to the setup they now have in the WRX which is an open diff while braking is employed on one wheel or another to shift torque and prevent wheel slip, but you can throw an LSD on the rear for a couple grand. It would also be nice if they'd put a 6-speed in the WRX for better highway economy, even if it's not the DCCD version found in the STi, but I'm guessing they're keeping the 5-speed in the WRX to keep some market distance between it and the STi.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Since you already have a DD and want a 'fun' car why don't you want something really different... Look at a Boxster, Z4, or a even a Audi TT.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
The S4 is a great automobile BUT I would go for something a little better like a RS4.

From mild

To wild

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi