U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 AM

1,572 posts, read 999,037 times
As an aside....some of the lights being discussed as fog lights may be parking lights. My pet peave is when drivers use parking lights in poor weather or dusk conditions instead of headlights. I dislike extra lights as they do effect night vision of oncoming drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM

12,390 posts, read 12,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Mom View Post
I use my fog lights. They do not affect oncoming traffic's vision - they are fog lights, not high beams.

Why do I use them? Because they are not standard equipment - I paid for them, and I'm gonna use them.
One of the silliest things I have read in some time. My truck has heated mirrors that cost extra. But I don't use them very often at all. Should I just because they cost extra?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,313,964 times
Once because my headlights were burned out.

A couple of times when the headlights were dirty and I was not in a place where I could get out and clean them off.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM

5,282 posts, read 9,984,369 times
I don't mind foglights at all.

My pet peeve is the people who use the super bright white, or blue or purple lights that are WAAAAAY brighter than normal "Brights".

Seems like every time I drive around now, I see people with these lights. They are more direct, and very blinding, whether in rear view, or coming toward you.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,729,813 times
What bugs me about the fog light people is the lights are not properly aimed. Instead of being aimed several feet in front of the car pointed at the road, they're aimed upwards directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic. When I had fog lights I never turned them on unless it was foggy.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 AM

2,577 posts, read 4,663,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
Well I guess we know why people drive with them on. They think they're entitled to just because they bought them, more light makes them feel safer, and they don't think they bother anyone else.

I think it's a fact that a flash of bright light makes the pupils constrict, which affects vision. Of course everyone would respond differently - some would say they're bothered, others wouldn't. I was taught in driver's ed that brights shouldn't be used unless you're in a rural area or bad weather, and you should turn them off when oncoming traffic is present.
what you were taught is correct, but we're not talking about 'brights' or 'high beams' here. we're talking about fog lights.

seriously, am i understanding this right? are people actually bothered (as in their sight becomes disrupted) by fog lights? i just don't get how they bother anybody.

Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,854,870 times
I'm sorry, but that's not strictly true when it comes to foglights.

foglights are deliberately mounted low so they shine UNDER the fog when it's really thick.

Ever put your full beam on in the fog ? you ca't see a thing.
If it's real thick, even dipped beam can reflect back off the fog.

foglights are designed to cut under the fog, not reflect off it, so that they give vision for a limited distance in front of you. they are designed to light the road 20 or 30 feet it front, maximum.

It is my understanding they are intended to be used INSTEAD of headlights, at low speeds, in extreme weather, not to accompany them when it's dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
It provides significantly more light in the area immediately in front of your car and especially to the corners, widening your beam pattern...and the purpose of lights on the front of your car is to...provide...light.

Why WOULDNT someone use them?
Sadly, once again, the reason people use their foglights when they don't need them is the same reason as other things.

Lack of education, lack of understanding, and ignorance.

Rear fog lights are even WORSE when used unnecessarily.
Folks who have them on in traffic, in town ? You can't see past em, because the light is so bright, your eyes can't deal with that.
Folks who have them on when it's raining a little, and there's spray ?
Nice thought, but then, through the spray, you suddenly see red lights which are much brighter than the rest, and your instincts say "AAAAARRRRG !! IT'S BRAKE LIGHTS !!!! STOP !!

"i use my fog lights because they are there, and i paid for them "
I mean, come on., what sort of an attitude is that ?
Do you drive around with your heater on full, your high beams on, flashing your hazards to make sure you get your money's worth ?

On my car, i upgraded all my lights, because the night vision was awful. my high beams are now as bright as day.
So, if i drive behind you with them on, that's Ok with you guys, you know, since i paid good money for them ?
I also have a set of 150 Db train horns.
Should i drive around with my finger on the horn button, so everyone knows. After all, I gotta get my money's worth !!

I'm afraid another part of the reason folks have their foglights on is fashion.

Didn't you know it's "sporty" to have your fogs on ?
All the old guys out there are trying to show the young pups that they can still cut it, and their fogs mean you better look out, their sports car will blow you away.

It's a fashion statement.
You may think you look cool with them on, but most of the other drivers have a different opinion.

Rearrange the following, to spell a well known phrase or saying........ "TSOSRE"

Last edited by bobman; 01-12-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,797,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
OK - Question: Why do people drive in good road conditions with foglights on?
I like to take every step to ensure I'm seen by other drivers, and I like how my car looks with them on, how's that?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 AM

455 posts, read 625,379 times
Everyone has pet peeves.

Didn't think that driving with foglights on was a major/blinding problem, as opposed to high beams or misalligned headlights. I have them automatically turn on when my headlights turn on.

I do like the HID lights in the 6 to 8 thousand Kelvin color rating. This specturm gives my eyes the best visability contrast on the road. Those blue/purple lights are all aesthetic and has poorer capabilities. It just screams ghetto...can't afford HID but not smart enough to choose/use SilverStars.

Personally, I think foglights are useless items and don't do better than regular driving lights, in most foggy conditions.

Either way, if you can't see, drive slower.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM

2,577 posts, read 4,663,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
I do like the HID lights in the 6 to 8 thousand Kelvin color rating. This specturm gives my eyes the best visability contrast on the road. Those blue/purple lights are all aesthetic and has poorer capabilities. It just screams ghetto...can't afford HID but not smart enough to choose/use SilverStars.
you may want to stick to a lower Kelvin rating than that if you want to avoid the blue/purple look. i'm not 100% sure, but i have been told most (if not all) OE HID systems are somewhere near 4300K. also, it's my understanding that the lower the Kelvin, the better the field of vision (some would say brighter, but it's a subjective term IMO). i wanted to increase my field of vision and NOT have my lights stick out like some ricer, so i put a 5000K system on my xB and am very pleased with them. there's just a hint of blue, but maybe that's just in my head because i'm used to trying to see with those awful yellowish stock bulbs for so long. in all, a very worthwhile investment!

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive