Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
This is one of my pet peeves too, but in defense of some individuals:
  • The auto manufacturer may have made it difficult to turn the fog lights off. My sons's GrandAm falls into this category (I think). The default selection for the fog lights/driving lights is "On". You have to remember to manually turn these lights "Off" every time you start the car.
  • The driver has simply forgotten to turn them "Off." I have done this sometimes. The lights are on a different switch, hidden from view by the steering wheel, and if I restart my car in an open area I cannot easily notice the additional illumination the fog lights produce.
For most though I think it is the "Hey, Look at me" syndrome. The same mentality that causes some air travelers to use their cell phones to call all of their friends to loudly announce they are now sitting on an airplane, either awaiting take-off or just arriving. Guess what, we are all sitting on an airplane! No point in talking loudly to impress those around you. Nearly all of us have cell phones too, we just are more discrete with our conversations.
Thats crazy that it a lighting default
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 AM

57 posts, read 168,006 times
I use my fog lights. They do not affect oncoming traffic's vision - they are fog lights, not high beams.

Why do I use them? Because they are not standard equipment - I paid for them, and I'm gonna use them.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Well it's like I said in the Op the beam is so short and narrow it is of little or no use when traveling at normal speeds or above because a) the near bright light affects your night vision, b) at normal road speeds and above whatever you do see in that short narrow beam is too close to do anything about so the purpose of lights on the front of your car is to ...provide....useful light safely
I guess we can agree to disagree....any light you can provide to the front of my vehicle while driving in the dark, Im going to use. If it allows me to see the immediate 10ft in front of my car, even if it is not actionable vision (which I disagree...if I can see rocks or broken tire pieces lets say I know to slow down because there are likely more ahead), I still want to use it.

My foglights certainly do not detract from my own or someone elses vision (they do not blind anyone) and the beam is not short and narrow, it is wide to catch the corners. I dont know what aftermarket $19.95 foglights you are talking about but they are not narrow and focused they are widespread.

I dont see how it is any less safe for anyone, including myself, for me to use my foglights when I drive. That is a ridiculous argument.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
My fog lights are set to a default too and I love them. They're like rory's....it's a wide, low beam, so low that it's on the ground...no way it could shine in someone's car. High beams are another story...hate when they're behind me.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
My fog lights are set to a default too and I love them. They're like rory's....it's a wide, low beam, so low that it's on the ground...no way it could shine in someone's car. High beams are another story...hate when they're behind me.

The majority of my driving is on curvy back roads. I drive an 08 Dodge Minivan and feel the headlights are set up a little high, the foglights enable me to see the road just in front of me where critters run out and potholes exist.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
i have automatic lights, so i keep them set to auto and both the foglights and headlights set to on. so when it gets dark enough, both come on. it provides better visibility in certain situations. so when it's raining, i'm in a tunnel, whatever, or turn my lights on because it's a crappy day out, they're also on. i don't understand why it would bother anyone anyways. it's just 2 little lights beneath the car...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 AM

257 posts, read 713,080 times
I totally agree w/ everyone saying people not knowing (or ignoring) when to and not to use their high beams is the real problem here.

That said, it doesn't irritate me as much as it used to, once I realized one important fact: It will be glaringly (pardon the pun) obvious to anybody improperly shining their high beams at me that yes I am, in fact, flipping them off.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I don't think it's the same as "fog lights," but I believe all GM cars have their running lights on at all times (night and day).

Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 AM

I didn't know there was an unspoken rule as to when using one's equipment (esp low lying fog lights) that they paid for on their vehicle was acceptable. Yeah, reduce your high-beams when oncoming traffic approaches as that *is* hazardous, but don't we have enough legislated common sense and legislated bs than to decide when and how somebody can use something that has NO affect on others?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
A lot of cars that you think have fog lights are really just driving lights, and do not do much of anything for fog, as they are just "driving" lights or "running" lights as a lot of manufacturers call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive