Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,866 times

Advertisements

OK - Question: Why do people drive in good road conditions with foglights on?
I have noticed a tendency for many drivers to drive with the foglights on all the time. Have they just forgotten to switch them off after the last incident of foul weather or do they believe that any extra light is better at night? Is it illegal to drive with foglights on in good conditions? ( It is in England)
Not only do the extra lights, which are designed to pick up the road edges in bad weather, glare into the eyes of oncoming drivers but they worsen the owner drivers night vision by lighting only narrow band close to the front of the vehicle
In England there is an auxillary dash light ( similar to main beam warning light) that comes on when you foglights are lit, I checked my car and there is only a small LED on the switch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Default A couple of reasons........

This is one of my pet peeves too, but in defense of some individuals:
  • The auto manufacturer may have made it difficult to turn the fog lights off. My sons's GrandAm falls into this category (I think). The default selection for the fog lights/driving lights is "On". You have to remember to manually turn these lights "Off" every time you start the car.
  • The driver has simply forgotten to turn them "Off." I have done this sometimes. The lights are on a different switch, hidden from view by the steering wheel, and if I restart my car in an open area I cannot easily notice the additional illumination the fog lights produce.
For most though I think it is the "Hey, Look at me" syndrome. The same mentality that causes some air travelers to use their cell phones to call all of their friends to loudly announce they are now sitting on an airplane, either awaiting take-off or just arriving. Guess what, we are all sitting on an airplane! No point in talking loudly to impress those around you. Nearly all of us have cell phones too, we just are more discrete with our conversations.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:10 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
Agree that its probably a combination of things (auto "on" settings, look at "me" syndrome, etc)... but I doubt the average driver even knows the proper use of fog lights. Since they are typically linked to low beams most folks I know seem to think they should be used when low beams are on.

The real stunner for me is when you see a vehicle at night on a dark two lane country road and they *don't* use their high beams.

Frank

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
It provides significantly more light in the area immediately in front of your car and especially to the corners, widening your beam pattern...and the purpose of lights on the front of your car is to...provide...light.

Why WOULDNT someone use them?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:40 AM

363 posts, read 1,212,380 times
Last time we had fog, I was more concerned about the number of people driving WITHOUT fog lamps... or any lamps at all in some cases

Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
fog lights don't really bug me. i've never found the light to be bright enough or angled in such a way that it impairs my vision at night (with the exception of a few lifted vehicles). high beams, however, bug the CRAP out of me! i've driven all over the country and NC has to be the WORST when it comes to people driving aound with their high beams on, by far. even worse are the ones who apparently are driving around with the high beams on because one of their low beams burnt out. a bulb is all of $10-$15 people!!!!

Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Last time we had fog, I was more concerned about the number of people driving WITHOUT fog lamps... or any lamps at all in some cases
Good luck with that. We were driving to NVa on Thanksgiving morning in a pretty heavy fog. Visibility was poor at best. We passed the usual number on State trooper speed traps on the way. You would think, if it was really about safety, that the troopers would be stopping those driving without lights.

Lights allow you to "see" as well as to be "seen".

Good article from an industry consultant on fog lights:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html

Frank

Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Good luck with that. We were driving to NVa on Thanksgiving morning in a pretty heavy fog. Visibility was poor at best. We passed the usual number on State trooper speed traps on the way. You would think, if it was really about safety, that the troopers would be stopping those driving without lights.

Lights allow you to "see" as well as to be "seen".

Frank
THIS should bug people way more than foglights with no fog...as well as pouring rain and no headlights during the day.

People are so selfish...its not about if YOU can see or not, its about other people seeing you as well. When its gloomy and pouring rain, you simply cant see other cars on the road well. TURN YOUR HEADLIGHTS ON WHEN ITS RAINING PEOPLE! I consistently flash people who dont do this, its super super dangerous.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 AM

98 posts, read 619,014 times
Personally I am much more annoyed at folks who see the need to drive with their high beams blinding me in dark conditions as If noone else is not having a hard time seeing as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
It provides significantly more light in the area immediately in front of your car and especially to the corners, widening your beam pattern...and the purpose of lights on the front of your car is to...provide...light.

Why WOULDNT someone use them?
Well it's like I said in the Op the beam is so short and narrow it is of little or no use when traveling at normal speeds or above because a) the near bright light affects your night vision, b) at normal road speeds and above whatever you do see in that short narrow beam is too close to do anything about so the purpose of lights on the front of your car is to ...provide....useful light safely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive