Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 AM

913 posts, read 872,630 times

Advertisements

How do I make sure that the car is paid for, not stolen or hasn't been in any accidents? Anything else to look out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Best bet is to see if he has the title in hand. Make sure there are no liens listed. Run a Carfax report on the VIN.

Beyond that, I don't know. There has to be a certain amount of faith involved.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
He (she) should have the title in hand if it is paid for.

If there is a lien, have a power of attorney drawn up directing the bank to send the title to you, not him.

Pay the bank directly if there is a lien, do not give the check to the seller.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
good advice so far. i would add that you should check the VIN against the VIN(s) on the car. obviously, they should all match.

Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Does a title in hand always guarantee there aren't any liens? iIf it doesn't, where can I find out if a car has liens against it?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
Does a title in hand always guarantee there aren't any liens? iIf it doesn't, where can I find out if a car has liens against it?
The title will say if there are any liens on it or not.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Sorry for the stupid questions, but any such thing as forged title?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Yes forged titles can be possible. I'm pretty sure now all titles have water markings.

Make sure the title matches the vin on the car. Make sure the vin on the car has special star shaped rivets that hold it on. If the rivets look like they came from Lowes/Home Depot, it means there's been a vin tag swap. In this case RUN, don't walk away.

Make sure the seller has his name on the title. Ask to see his drivers license. Or make sure the person selling you the car, if not the owner, has a notarized power of attorney.

The only way I can tell you to check for if it was in a wreck is hire a body shop. Sometimes you can tell if say for example the gaps on a door/hood/trunk lid is larger on one side and not the other and if the paint looks newer than the rest of the car. It takes a trained eye to look for these things.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for all your responses. The reason I ask all of this is that I have been looking for a pre-owned vehicle and haven't ruled out buying one from a private seller. There seem to be many deals on Craigslist. Many are obvious scams eg when a seller advertises a vehicle at 70% off its Blue Book value but there are some where desperate sellers are trying to unload cars they haven't paid for, are stolen or have been rebuilt. I'm pretty sure I can spot stolen or rebuilt cars but it's the one you buy only to have it repo'ed, which worries me.

I also want to know how people pay here. Let's assume that it's a $20k auto. Do I pay by check, transfer the funds etc? what do the sellers generally expect?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
I also want to know how people pay here. Let's assume that it's a $20k auto. Do I pay by check, transfer the funds etc? what do the sellers generally expect?
that really varies. a lot of sellers try to insist on cash only, but that seems a bit unreasonable when you're talking about a $20K car. i understand why they do it, though. you hear about so many scams on BOTH sides of the deal using every form of payment imagineable that it's hard to trust anything but the green stuff.

my credit union does something i think is pretty cool. instead of having to go find the car, then fill in the paperwork, then wait for them to cut a check for that particular car, etc, they just cut me a blank check. i tell them how much i want the loan for (maximum), and they approve me within 24 hours. i pick up the check and just go shopping. when i find what i want, i fill in some extra spots on the check with things like the VIN and the seller's info, and when the check is cashed my loan is started. it's stupid simple. i have run into a few sellers who are leary of this since it isn't all that common, but i usually offer to let them hold the vehicle until the check clears and that makes everything OK.

if you can find a financial institution that does this, i HIGHLY recommend it!! of course, that assumes you're looking to finance it.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive