U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM

2,680 posts, read 4,425,422 times
I had a coolant leak on top of my radiator and put in 2 teaspoons of black pepper and it fixed the leak for maybe 4 months. I could actually see where the black pepper plugged the leak.

But to the OP it sounds like you have a major leak, which may be too much for pepper and eggs to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM

6,339 posts, read 6,849,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You could maybe throw a big ole greasy sausage in there too. That'd stop you up.

No wait a minute... We're talking radiators, right?
On me it would have the opposite effect.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 PM

6,994 posts, read 13,888,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

Eggs, pepper, cinnamon and now milk. I'm starting to get hungry

Well, if anyone ever gets out and gets stranded with their car they can always dine on the radiator coolant. lol. Provided no anti-freeze is in there!

Hopefully no one would really ever try this.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,860,178 times
Yellow corn meal works too.
Any horses around? Drop in a horsey dropping. The fiber in it will fill the crack and stop the leak.
At least that's what some old man told me he used to do with his Model A.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,384 times
I have been an apprentice to my father who has owned a rad shop for 30 years. Having seen many things in radiators- there is one that tops the cake. A few times a year, we repair the radiators for a semi large egg farm. We got a call last summer to come pick up a big ole frame radiator for test/re-core/repair/make pretty. After flushing it, i noticed a really strange substance that wasn't stop leak or anything i've seen before. Long story short, the driver had gotten stuck on the road, 50 miles from home base. There was a leak in the radiator. His operator radio'd him to crack a few eggs and drop them in the radiator. It seemed to have done the trip back to the farm!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
I have an 05 Jeep Liberty. It has a leak in the plastic housing on the left side. It's not a big leak. A hairline crack. What can I use for a temporary fix til I can find and afford a new/used radiator?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 AM

14,313 posts, read 6,536,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Ok, I been having a small leak in my radiator, my antifreeze last only maybe a week and a half, then its outta here. Im not much of a mechanic so i asked around and quite a few time I heard, place black pepper in the radiator to stop a leak?????????? huh?? but....who knows so thats why I asked you guys, truth or ol' Louisiana rigg and fix it tip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammynana View Post
I have an 05 Jeep Liberty. It has a leak in the plastic housing on the left side. It's not a big leak. A hairline crack. What can I use for a temporary fix til I can find and afford a new/used radiator?
there are a lot of things that can be used to temporarily seal a leak in a radiator, fresh egg, pepper, etc. most of the time they work great, the downside however is that they all require that the radiator, and the rest of the cooling system, be completely flushed out to prevent future cooling issues. understand that these things will clog up the radiator tubes in time.

to the OP, it sounds to me like you are losing coolant in much large quantities than a leak would suggest. have your engine checked for a bad head gasket.

to G, my advice would be to get some good epoxy, a 5 minute epoxy will do nicely, and use that to seal the crack in your rad tank. you can also use ribbon epoxy that is normally used to seal fuel tank leaks.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
Question radiator leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Don't know about pepper but ginger or nutmeg is a one time done deal fix. Drove an old work car with ginger fix to a good sized hole to work for two years before I junked it.

HOW MUCH DO I PUT INTO RADIATOR, DO I USE THE GINGER OR NUTMEG THATS IN A BOTTLE FOR SEASONING FOODS? THANKS

Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Status: "Spiders DO have feelings and a sense of humanity." (set 9 days ago)

7,882 posts, read 5,164,801 times
Most of those temporary gimmicks usually screw things up...more than they help.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 PM

2,680 posts, read 4,425,422 times
Yeah it is a temporary fix and worked for me in the past. I would suggest using it only in emergency situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive