U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,604,009 times

Advertisements

My parents swear by Toyotas and Hondas. For many years, my dad drove American cars - Chevy and Ford were his favorites but they kept leaving him stranded on the road, and required expensive repairs. They switched to a 2002 Toyota Camry and never looked back. Now they drive a 1996 Accord and a 2005 CRV. The Accord has almost 200K miles and so far has been pretty good. I drive a Honda Civic and other than a brake pad replacement, had never been stranded on the road or had any major repairs..it has already 60K miles on it and drives like the day I drove it off the lot.

All in all, I dont think I will ever buy American- based on those negative experiences of my friends who drove GM/Chrysler/Ford and that of my family, I will stick to Hondas and Toyotas...In a few years when my Honda reaches 100-150K miles, I may trade it in and get a luxury car (like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) but that depends on my budget...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 AM

10,698 posts, read 8,104,455 times
My parents had nightmarish reliability with their American cars from the 70's to the 90's. Because of that, and because of the problem-free ownership of their Japanese cars - it's going to be hard to sway them back. They're a great example of the stigma domestics created with the bad years.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate and did buy an American car (or 2) after owning Japanese.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 AM

8,317 posts, read 3,208,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
It is obvious you THINK you know EVERYTHING, but what is a fact is Detroit has been making junk for 40+ years. They have lost market share because of it. They have ripped the taxpayers off to keep alive. ONLY FORD has begun to make reliable cars, and they are built in state of the art factories in Latin America. The UAW won't let them build great factories here. Thankfully Ford hasn't reached into our pockets, and is actually doing SOMETHING to make their reputation better.

It is obvious the VAST MAJORITY of people who have been saddled with Detroit junk, and finally bought and gotten good service out of Asian makes and dealers would not go back to Detroit crap.
This is ridiculous. I've owned lemons that were Japanese made and Lemons that were American made. The best car I ever had was a '92 Pontiac Grand Am I put 200K miles on, only put belts, hoses, tires and brakes on it and averaged 36 mpg! And then still got $5000 for it when I sold it because it was in mint condition and ran perfect still.

The worst car I had was an '88 Pontiac Grand Prix-you just never know.

Right now I have a Nissan Rogue and 2 VW's and am happy with them now-not happy with the higher maint costs over domestic models but all in all happy but I wouldn't hesitate to go GM or Ford if I liked a vehicle of theirs.

The Ford Focus is one of the best cars out there, Honda, Toyota, Nissan-none of them make a better car for the money.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,704,138 times
I drove a American cars for years and never 100k out of them without getting rid of them because of major repair issues. Grant you this was from 70's to the 90's when the Big 3 was producing crap cars and banking on the fact that they knew what the American should have. I have no doubt that American made cars are much better made than they were then. Having said this the bad taste in my mouth still lingers and it is hard to give the American auto a second try. I now have a Suburban that I am very happy with. I only drive it on the weekends but it has held up well over the years. I am also in the market for a car but no American made car is on my radar. The pain for the past is two hard to ignore. It reminds me of the Hyundai Sonata my mom bought back in the late 80's. I know Hyundai makes a much better car now but I can't forget how moms car literally fell apart with only 60k miles on it. It's hard to give companies second chances when your spending thousands of dollars.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,076,247 times
That's the point, no matter the car or who made it the bottom line is when expensive repairs come in doubles or triples from a make of car, you are the only one who has to come up with the money to get it back on the road. If you get stung bad enough no raw raw talk is gona get you back in that make of car, and that's just the way it is.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:31 AM

2,306 posts, read 4,766,798 times
Interesting question. For me, personally, no. However I've always owned Japanese cars or American "badged" cars that were Japanese (like the Ford Probe, Chrysler Sebring coupe, etc.). Thankfully, as daily drivers, my cars have been pretty reliable. But I have seen my share of costly repairs!

Today I think the domestic vs. foreign car comparison is not as relevant. There are so many shared parts and advances in engineering. I know of a lot of people with Fords who drive them upwards of 150K miles (the Focus, Explorer, etc.). I have an uncle with a 2006 Jeep Commander with 220K on it (he's in the military; and drives between VA, NC and TX a lot). Newer cars in general are pretty reliable. Just do the scheduled maintenance, and they should last at least 10 years.

But what worries me about new imports these days is how overpriced they tend to be. A new Honda Civic with almost no options will run you more than a Chevy Cruze with all the bells and whistles. I won't even start on Hyundai! Sure, imports have improved in terms of styling and options by leaps and bounds since the 1980s. But to me, they seem to be price gouging...banking on the notion that their cars are "more reliable". Time will tell if they can still remain competitive with domestics.

My BF is the type that loves domestics...mostly for character and performance. It's true that his '84 Monte Carlo can run circles around my '02 Eclipse, but he's also under the hood of his car a lot more than I am!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 3,208,555 times
My friend at work has a '99 or '00 Chevy Malibu he got for free. The guy drove it to a repair shop and told them they could have it as he was having electrical problems with it. My friend put $600 into it for a computer or something and has been driving it now for 3 years. It has over 300,000 miles on it. I drove an '82 Ford F100 pickup for 15 years and put over 200,000 miles on it and still got 2 grand for it when I sold it. I think it depends upon which vehicle you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive