U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,563,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
1990?? No wonder you are so misinformed. If you're going to bash Detroit vehicles, at least have a basis of opinion that is relevant to what is being produced in the present decade. Your opinion on current Detroit vehicles is about as relevant as my opinion on disco (I wasn't born until '84).
Hes reluctant to say what 1990 car he bought... I would be embarrassed too if I was foolish enough to buy one. A Plymouth Acclaim!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM

210 posts, read 330,136 times
I've been driving "imports" since 1996. Today, I would definitely consider a Ford. If I walked onto a Chrysler lot, it would likely be to test drive a Fiat or Alfa Romeo.

I will never consider a GM product ever again. They lied to get a bailout. They lied about paying off the bailout. And it's coming out that they lied about their continually delayed Volt getting 230mpg. Their fabulous new Malibu is a re-badged Opel Insignia. The spectacular Lacrosse is a re-badged Opel Insignia. They haven't got an innovative bone in their whole organization and the fact that they tried - and failed - to sell Opel, the source of their most popular models in decades, only goes to show they don't have a f*cking clue and should have been left to fend for themselves like all the working class folks in this country who are still struggling.

(But hey. It's your patriotic duty to buy a new Chevy, right?)

Their quality might be improving, but their track record is such that I will never support them.

Besides, "buying American" is a fool's errand these days anyway. Most American cars are made in Canada or Mexico (or China), while the Germans, Japanese and Koreans are building cars here in the States. The Germans are in bed with the French, who are partners with the English.

Last edited by DR1665; 07-20-2010 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,863,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
1990?? No wonder you are so misinformed. If you're going to bash Detroit vehicles, at least have a basis of opinion that is relevant to what is being produced in the present decade. Your opinion on current Detroit vehicles is about as relevant as my opinion on disco (I wasn't born until '84).
So what, I got screwed by Chrysler when i bought an 87 Daytona. Swore I would never buy one again. My wife got screwed by GM in the late 90's with an Oldsmobile. Screw me once and you will never see my money again. Simple as that. I could care less what your cars look like or how "reliable" they are now.

So you are telling us that if you buy a car and it turns out to be a nightmare, you would buy from that company once again?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,563,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So what, I got screwed by Chrysler when i bought an 87 Daytona. Swore I would never buy one again. My wife got screwed by GM in the late 90's with an Oldsmobile. Screw me once and you will never see my money again. Simple as that. I could care less what your cars look like or how "reliable" they are now.

So you are telling us that if you buy a car and it turns out to be a nightmare, you would buy from that company once again?

Uhh... 20 years after the fact? Yes. You thick skulled fickle people are in the minority simply because your mentality is completely flawed. Your grand statements on how certain car companies are nothing but junk peddlers is contradictory to countless satisfied customers who have driven supposed junk several hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free. Likely these are also customers who were wise in their choosing and knew what to look out for before they jumped into a purchase.

Where do you draw the line? Do you think someone who owned a troublesome 1930 model of something has a valid gripe about that company today? No, of course not, its stupid to even think about that... same goes for something that was designed 20 years ago. Things evolve, technology advances... new designs, different approaches to quality control, improved financial management... etc. That said not all things change for the better but that is clearly not the case here, you just choose to view it that way in your own delusions. I don't need to even say any of this it is already abundantly exhibited through studies, reports, surveys, etc.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,863,230 times
As someone else said, just because someone disagrees with you, does that mean you need to berate them and talk down to them? Goes to show what kind of person you really are. You need to take your own advice. You own grand statements of how bad toyota is contradictory to thousands upon thousands of satisfied customers like myself. So get off your high horse and realise that what you say doesn't matter to anyone here but yourself and maybe one or two other Toyota bashers on here.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,244,820 times
Quote:

So you are telling us that if you buy a car and it turn out to be a nightmare, you would buy from that company once again?
I have noticed that most the people who own cars that turns out to be "nightmares" don't take care of them properly, or seem to be vague in their understanding of what was actually wrong with the vehicle in the first place.

But if I did have one that turned out to be a nightmare, and twenty plus years had passed--East Germany was no longer a country, Oingo Boingo had long since broken up--and I read that the same manufacturer had good reviews, increasing resale values, and considerably improved satisfaction ratings...well...I would think an intelligent person would at pause for consideration that maybe the company's values had changed instead of dismissing anything and everything about them.

Last edited by mustang84; 07-20-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM

41,291 posts, read 44,080,184 times
I have to say that I took just as good care of my american cars as my foreign . It was the 500 me to death that made me switch after my wife frove first a honda and now a toyota.I how have had a honda for two eyars. Thatis 18 years with no major problems. Quite different than my big 43 experiences even whn i was keeping them shorter time.Its not just me but people I know.. So noJD powersw;or anyhtig else is goig to make me change just to see. I'll stick with success and frankly no fanboy o the nterent changes my experiences.My sister just sold her 94 Honda accord after 16 years with only one problem and Honda fixed it out of warranty for cutomer satisfication as I recall it being called.You don't direct people away at high cost to them then say come back; we have changed.Should have taken care of teh customer when you has them.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 PM

18,970 posts, read 49,585,215 times
Quote:
Obvious, how so. This thread has shown that it is just the opposite. Most people will never go back. And as far as quality, I thing other than a few bumps, its still there.
Most people on this thread dont give a flying rats arse about cars in general, theyre just stating how they had a bad experience with a 1982 Caravan or whatnot, and how their Corolla is soooooooo much better. These are the people who honestly think Toyota is the greatest thing since sliced bread and how rad their Camry is. Those who truly know the industry and actually view cars as things other than vanilla appliances, will tell you that the Japanese makes have gone downhill the last 10 years... not just reliability, but also in the materials theyre using, and ESPECIALLY their designs. And what have us Americans done? Turned things around for the better, unlike the Japanese makes.

Now, tell me, who is doing things right? Who is making giant strides in design, reliability, safety, and appealing vehicle designs? Let me give you a hint... it aint those who bombed Pearl Harbor.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM

41,291 posts, read 44,080,184 times
You need to get over yourself really.lI'll go by what I have experienced as will others ;thank you.Not some fanboy on the internet.The truth is no one cares a rats ass;as you say; what you think of their opinons really

Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 PM

9,184 posts, read 10,882,463 times
I have owned four GM vehicles. No major issues but the same problem on EVERY model. A new blower fan at 80k miles, a new alternator every 75k and dealers that would clip you for every dollar possible.

I have owned three Ford products. They were generally pretty decent cars BUT after a tranmission issue at 40k and seeing five of ten fleet Tauruses with transmission issues, why take the risk?

Did a Chrysler once. I actually made it to 191k. However, that required a $200-300 repair five or six times a year to keep the beast running.

The last car was a Toyota Corolla. I will make my decision in about ten years when I am at 150k. The dealership experience has been pretty good and priced very competitive with the independent shops I have worked with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive