Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:29 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times

Advertisements

^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Look around you, the whole world has embraced Deming's model. Every manufacturer in the world is well aware of DOE. Kind of ironic that you mention it though considering Toyota's quality demise in the past few years, it had everything to do with letting statistics get out of control so they could try and nab the title of Worlds Largest Automaker. They let that be their priority instead of maintaining the high level of quality they once had.

I also have a little more news for you, it doesn't matter if a Mexican or an American or whoever built the car because process details are developed outside of the assembly plant. You clearly have little to no knowledge on the subject matter.
It is obvious you THINK you know EVERYTHING, but what is a fact is Detroit has been making junk for 40+ years. They have lost market share because of it. They have ripped the taxpayers off to keep alive. ONLY FORD has begun to make reliable cars, and they are built in state of the art factories in Latin America. The UAW won't let them build great factories here. Thankfully Ford hasn't reached into our pockets, and is actually doing SOMETHING to make their reputation better.

It is obvious the VAST MAJORITY of people who have been saddled with Detroit junk, and finally bought and gotten good service out of Asian makes and dealers would not go back to Detroit crap.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Ya might wanta look at this.

Best new car deals

Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
It is obvious you THINK you know EVERYTHING, but what is a fact is Detroit has been making junk for 40+ years. They have lost market share because of it. They have ripped the taxpayers off to keep alive. ONLY FORD has begun to make reliable cars, and they are built in state of the art factories in Latin America. The UAW won't let them build great factories here. Thankfully Ford hasn't reached into our pockets, and is actually doing SOMETHING to make their reputation better.

It is obvious the VAST MAJORITY of people who have been saddled with Detroit junk, and finally bought and gotten good service out of Asian makes and dealers would not go back to Detroit crap.
Here's the real problem. Your insulting behavior and superiority complex. Arrogant to the extreme because you decided to buy one mass produced product vs another.

Sickening.

Funny how Americans are considered stupid and can't vote properly due to being uninformed, they follow celebrities, can't drive, they watch Twilight and American Idol, shop at Wal Mart, and everything else wrong with the world, but if they buy an Accord or Camry, they are mensa candidates and "informed consumers."

Well, I can match your arrogance. I like all cars, and probably know more about all of them and their history than you, and am much better at restoring and building them. I can like Japanese, American, and various European brands equally. My brain isn't limited by bias and a narrowminded lack of experience. Too bad yours is.

What I love about this site is in an American car thread, I'm basically accused of hating domestic cars, and in a thread like this, I'm basically accused of being a blind domestic fanboi. It's amusing to watch it unfold.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
I haven't read through this thread, but I assume others have said this-

I buy what fits my needs or wants at that time. I set out to buy an import in '05, but couldn't find what I wanted for what I was willing to spend. I found that in an American car, albeit built in Australia, and have been happy with the car.

When I replace my pickup in the next year or so, I will probably buy American again. It will be a used truck, and the imports hold their value to the point where they're just not a practical purchase for someone who will drive it until it's dead. My 3 Ford pickups all went well over 200K, and that's an acceptable lifespan for me.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Here's the real problem. Your insulting behavior and superiority complex. Arrogant to the extreme because you decided to buy one mass produced product vs another.

Sickening.

This can be said for about a half a dozen others on this forum.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
This can be said for about a half a dozen others on this forum.
Except this thread was started by a Japanese car lover basically as a way of bashing American cars and their owners, so it follows that the responses will often be in that mold. I have no problem with matching his arrogance with more arrogance, even if it's only to show why doing so is bad.

And yes, if a thread was started by an american car owner as a way to bash on Japanese, or European cars and theri owners, I'd respond in the same manner to them.

Who here started the thread on classic Japanese cars?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
My cars, in order of ownership:

1. Cavalier (86). Garbage.
2. Geo Prizm GSi (90). So-so luck. Overall decent.
3. Mercury Capri (91). Very reliable. Not one issue.
4. Honda Civic h/b. Junk. Seriously. JUNK!!! What didnt go wrong in 2 yrs of ownership?! Not much.
5. Toyota p/u (87). Not reliable overall. Starter, alternator, timing chain guide, axle, t-stat, leaking t-case. 150K miles!?! Not impressive.
6. Toyota p/u. Good overall. Not many problems.
7. Toyota Paseo. So-so reliability. Several expensiverepairs... including blown trans (carrier bearing went kaput) and radiator that rotted itself silly by 80K miles.
8. Ford SVT Focus. So far pretty good (2.5 years ownership). A few hiccups, all under $30 to fix (flaky TPS, two noisy front sway bar end links, t-stat housing o-ring)! Currently has 117K miles.

Overall my Japanese cars had far more problems than my American cars, but I continued to drink the kool-aid and proclaimed to everyone how "reliable" my Toyota's were. Between the 4 that I owned (the Geo was a Corolla), I sunk in almost $4K in repairs!!! What the heck was that all about?!?! Needless to say, Ive gone back to American cars right now, and Im content! There are several Japanese cars that Id love to own, but for now Im satisfied.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
I am not A Japanese car lover. I ADMIRE most of the Japanese manufacturers. They make the most reliable cars in the world. Detroit does not, nor do European manufacturers. Detroit has plundered their way with shoddy products for 40+ years. The proof is obvious when you look at the predicament they are in now. GM once had 50%+ OF THE us MARKET ALONE. Ford and Chrysler had 40% combined, and ALL import makes accounted for 10%

People didn't change, and keep buying Japanese makes because they were WORSE than Detroit crap.

Had they built decent vehicles, the taxpayer wouldn't have to bail GM and Chrysler out, they wouldn't have lost mega market share, and the VAST MAJORITY of people that switched from Detroit to Japanese cars would go back.

This has become an attack on me and others that espouse our opinion. The question was asked of people that made the switch if they would ever go back. Too many that have never and will never buy an Asian car spew propaganda straight from Detroit. I just asked for honest answers from people who have experienced both, and most of them would NOT go back.

I have noticed that Detroit pushers will regularly resort to personal attacks to make their "points", rather than just express their opinion.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
The simple truth is that Japanese cars are not really more reliable than most domestic cars. Its a matter of perception. Most domestic cars are now just one off Japanese cars anyway. Much of the technology that the Japanese used to make all of those "reliable cars" was directly from the big 3 to start with. Now, Ford and Mazda are largely the same car, Dodge and Mitsubishi were nearly identical until Daimler took them over. Toyota and General Motors have had a VERY long joint venture on numerous models. I own a shop and when a loyal Japanese car customer comes in with 75000 miles on the odometer with a failure they brag "75000 MILES before a failure what a GREAT CAR!!" Some drivers of a domestic car with a similar mileage and failure will come in and complain "only 75000 miles before this PIECE OF S**T quit on me!" I will NEVER buy another one!! Always makes me chuckle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive