Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
no, they're taking the steps enforced on them by US law.

so, as of this morning, Toyota says they have a fix. supposedly, they're going to install a shim somewhere in the pedal mechanism that will alleviate the issue. but something about this still stinks. read this:

Fixes being cranked out in massive Toyota recall - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100128/ap_on_bi_ge/toyota_recall - broken link)

is it just me, or does the way Toyota describes the root cause make it sound like they're claiming the pedal is somehow physically attached to the throttle?

Mike
That article plays along with the "blame CTS" idea. Yet someone here posted about some of these cars having Denso parts instead. Where is that info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:43 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Anyone that needs to practice putting their car in neutral or applying the brakes shouldn't be driving to begin with.
Any time someone has to suggest this about a car it says that the car is unsafe to drive.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That article plays along with the "blame CTS" idea.
yeah, i feel real bad for CTS right now. Toyota really seems to want to throw them under the bus.

Mike

Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Any time someone has to suggest this about a car it says that the car is unsafe to drive.
It was a rediculous statement to begin with, it says nothing about the car, it says volumes about the skill of the average driver on the road though.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Forget about getting out of the lease. It ant goin to happen. The salesman that made money off of you has already spent the money. lol

I love how you take the opportunity to take a low-blow shot at a salesman for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and for something that has nothing to do with him in the first place.

And people think salesman are the jerks.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
As the youngins call it. "Player Hating" .

And you're right, what happened to Toyota did not make domestics any better. Some people don't understand the difference. Poor souls.
I should have made myself more clear. What I'm trying to say is that there is still a lingering myth that a "quality gap" exists between the modern cars produced by Japanese OEMs and Ford. (Notice I did not say GM or Chrysler, their quality still leaves much to be desired) It's sad, but sometimes the only thing that will start to get rid of theses myths are one of the many quality blunders from Toyota like these.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Of course, Ford couldn't have done it without Mazda...

Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Of course, Ford couldn't have done it without Mazda...
couldn't have done WHAT without Mazda?

Mike

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM

404 posts, read 1,556,838 times
i think for a lot of owners its not a matter of "how easy is it to do" (the instructions to stop the car) but if and when they have to do it will they be in a safe place or have presence of mind enough to do it safely if driving their children around

no matter what some owners think or don't think about the procedure, you gotta admit when initially buying the car if part of the sales pitch was:

"oh and btw, a very slight chance exist of your car accelerating on its own. whether this happens on a deserted highway or a busy freeway at rush hour, immediately throw the car in neutral and roll to a complete stop. its all there in the owners manual"

obviously, that would be a deal breaker. i wouldn't buy that car. but many people did. they just got those wacky instructions afterward. so, some are a bit concerned

Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM

29,471 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It was a rediculous statement to begin with, it says nothing about the car, it says volumes about the skill of the average driver on the road though.

I agree... safe or not a driver needs to be prepared for the unexpected at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion