U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 PM

42,379 posts, read 46,156,512 times

Advertisements

no you are obvious have a different experience from others here have had. Lookig at chey's ads for example its obvious who they are wanting to imitate tho.Different strokes for different folks;so stay with your own kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 AM

3,537 posts, read 5,066,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
no you are obvious have a different experience from others here have had. Lookig at chey's ads for example its obvious who they are wanting to imitate tho.Different strokes for different folks;so stay with your own kind.

Who are you talking to?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 AM

What really will matters is when CR's auto issue hits the stands in March. Will that be enough time for Toyota to PROPERLY fix the problem and get back in good graces with CR??? We'll see.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 AM

1,234 posts, read 1,310,873 times
Quote:
Just saw the latest report on the accelerator pedals. Not all are being reacalled. Just the ones with the american made accelerator pedals. If your vehicle has one made by Denso in japan its not involved.They showed both parts and to tell you then truth the Denos looked of much better qaulity. Maybe as some have stated they need to return to japanese made parts afterall.By the way the supplier makes parts for american vehicles also.
Again, I ask, why are Priuses, Lexus ES350s, and other vehicles using Denso pedals experiencing the same unintended acceleration as vehicles with CTS pedals?

Perhaps the pedal is not the problem at all.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 AM

9,713 posts, read 12,293,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I remember Audi having this problem back in the 80's.
That turned out to be 60 minutes rigging a car up and basically it all turned out to nothing except people bumping the tranny from neutral to drive. That's why cars have shift locks on them now where you have to put your foot on the brake to shift into drive. And also why on automatics the shifter is offset rather than in a straight line so people don't get confused.

By the time Audi had filed suit and had the story retracted the damage was done to Audi's rep for a while.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Wel it gets more interestignnow that the accelator that are made by teh am,erican supplier are the oens being reaclled or vehicvles noit asold. The ones with Denso ;Japnese parts are not involved . They showed both on the news and they look much different really.
Vehicles using Denso pedals are also experiencing sudden acceleration. It's not the pedals.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Again, I ask, why are Priuses, Lexus ES350s, and other vehicles using Denso pedals experiencing the same unintended acceleration as vehicles with CTS pedals?

Perhaps the pedal is not the problem at all.

My thoughts as well.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 AM

Incidents of Prius acceleration to chew on. Reported before the recall.

By Pam
#21, Posted: 11/20/2009

I have also experienced this suden acceleration in my 2010 Prius while braking. It has happened 6-8 times over the past 6 months. The service department has said "We've never heard of that before". Of course it could not be replicated as this happens infrequently..although I also have almost hit the car in front of me. Your comments have been very helpful as it does appear to happen when I first apply the brakes and there is an irregular raod service or a manhole cover. I have contacted Toyota National about the problem and am wondering if anyone has had the problem diagnosed and fixed?

By Sara
#22, Posted: 11/25/2009

I've had the same experience with our 2010 Prius. My Prius hit a bump during wet conditions, and it accelerated on it's own. The break does stop the car, but it's very scary and you feel like you're not in control for a second. This has happened twice to me and we've only owned it for 1 1/2 months so far.

By Emily
#23, Posted: 11/26/2009

I've had the same experience described by everyone else with our 2010 Prius. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough. When I run over a pothole as I'm braking (which unfortunately are numerous and impossible to avoid in LA), my Prius accelerates for a couple of seconds which can be scary due to amount of traffic where we live. I have yet to drive in the rain, but I can only imagine the lack of control to be worse.

By Christine
#24, Posted: 11/26/2009

I have exactly the same issue with a surge of acceleration as I come to a gentle stop on bumpy pavement. It happens often enough that I have learned to anticipate where it happens on my regular driving routes.
I have a 2010 and am wondering why they are not included in the recall. I am not interested in having my brakepedal clipped, but would like the software fix that allows braking to override acceleration. Does leaving the 2010 out of the recall mean that this already exists in my car? Somehow I doubt it.

By Len
#25, Posted: 11/30/2009

I posted #18 & #19. Can anybody answer if the engine really accelerates or intermittant braking due to anti-lock brakes makes you feel like your are accelerating? Also when you talk to your Toyata dealers,Please tell them to look at this website!! This is important. If you think that Toyota will admit to this problem, you are very naive. Only non-stop pressure,diligence with documentation,and usually(unfortunately)a serious accident, will get action. From the number of posts, this is a real problem. Please keep up the pressure with your dealer until they are tired of hearing from you.

By Kay Lustig
#26, Posted: 12/5/2009

I have a 2009 Prius, have had only minor problems, one on a very icy road, but I'm getting very nervous about driving my car & won't drive with my granddaughter in it, or let anyone else drive it. I want to trade it in for a safer hybrid, hopefully a hatchback. Any ideas?

By ross
#27, Posted: 12/8/2009

I own 2009 prius. so for i am still alive but if you read in the comments later that a ROSS as die, it will probably be, because my accerating problem, braking problem and car dieing at 76 mph and droping speed from 76 mph 61 mph instantly and jerking servely to the right and toyota not doing anything about it. I am retaing me a lawyer now to see if he can do something about it.

By Megan
#28, Posted: 12/27/2009

I have owned my Prius 2010 since Aug. '09 and have now experienced the acceleration while breaking on two different occasions. It does get my adrenaline pumping when it has happened. I've also had the "traction assist" light come on while sitting at a stop light. After owning Toyotas for 30 years, this has me nervous.

By CW
#30, Posted: 12/28/2009

I have this problem too - told the dealer about it in Santa Monica, CA -
They at least acted like they never heard of it and weren't able to recreate it...but it's quite real. It is definitely an issue with the 2010 model and more than anything it can be quite a freak out when it happens. I thought it was only happening to me but clearly it's out there.

By car insurance
#32, Posted: 1/19/2010

If all car brand have cases like these then the one thing that i would look into would be my car insurance. Make sure you are covered for all things that the manufacturer is to blame for so that you dont have to pay it yourself.

By sue
#33, Posted: 1/21/2010

My 2010 Prius often "accelarates" when I go over train tracks, bumps in the road, man hole covers, etc. It doesn't happen every day, but at least a couple of times a week and I only drive about 200 miles a week. I haven't reported it to the dealer because I feel like they won't be any help. I feel like it could easily cause an accident.

By Ken
#34, Posted: 1/28/2010

My 2010 Prius often accelerates while going over rough pavement, bumps in road, etc. also. The dealer said they never heard of this before. I don't believe them. I like my Prius, but I want Toyota to be up front about this - there is something going on. I would like to build a network of people with the same problem to share experiences. I would like to approach Toyota with some meat (many people with the problem). We cannot all be hallucinating. Please e-mail me at kennethc@thecommercialagency.com with contact information. Thanks

Last edited by mustang84; 01-30-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 AM

3,969 posts, read 6,494,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Toyota dealers are especially arrogant from my own personal experience. You need not be arrogant to be a successful salesperson. You don't get it obviously.
Well, my personal experience is different. Over the years, I've bought at least ten new Toyotas and have always had pleasant experiences at Toyota dealerships. I don't recall ever meeting a pushy or "arrogant" Toyota salesperson.

Maybe it's because they know that most Toyota customers are there to buy a car....little or no "selling" is required. The only things that need to be discussed are the terms of the deal...

Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 AM

3,969 posts, read 6,494,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
This is a biggie! CR has temporarily pulled their recommendations of the 8 Toyota models affected by the sudden acceleration recall. Although they call this a "temporary" suspension of the recommendation, it still is a huge blow to Toyota and as far as I can remember, never done by CR in the past in a recall situation....

Wait, I thought Consumer Reports publishes totally biased nonsense...

Oh, I get it! When CR agrees with YOUR agenda...they suddenly become a legitimate publication...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive