Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
They were not made to stop selling the cars. They were asked and complied.
false. read here under the section titled 'Beyond the recall, why stop making and selling all these cars? '

Toyota recall: What if it's your car on the list? - Jan. 27, 2010

and here it is again from a different source:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100127/AUTO01/1270400/1148/rss25

here's the part to pay attention to:

"Federal auto safety regulators said today that Toyota was legally required to stop selling the eight models it recalled last week. Toyota took the extraordinary step of halting the sale of the vehicles late Tuesday over issues of "sticky acceleration pedals" because it hasn't yet found a fix. Those eight models accounted for nearly 60 percent of its U.S. sales last year. Toyota has been looking at the issue of sticky pedals since 2007. The new administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, David Strickland, said today Toyota's decision to halt sales "was an aggressive one and was the legally and morally correct thing to do. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Chicago radio station WGN that the government asked Toyota to stop selling the vehicles. LaHood said, "The reason Toyota decided to do the recall and to stop manufacturing was because we asked them to." A Toyota spokesman, Mike Michels, said Tuesday the automaker expects to have a remedy in "weeks, not months." Officials said NHTSA first contacted Toyota Friday, after seeing news reports of Toyota's plans to continue selling defective vehicles."

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That makes the most sense. Hold on to it. Don't get crazy over this issue. GM and Ford can keep their trade-in money to themselves. Kudos on the last statement, as well.

It's a setback, but they'll saddle up, and be right back up. You'll see. Soon enough.

You don't get an argument on this end. I never stopped thinking to myself, that they should have kept it all in Japan, when they were announcing building cars over here. Those were the good old days, when Toyota built better cars.

My Avalon XLS Touring hasn't given me one single problem. Just oil changes, and that's it. Nothing more. I'm still enjoying it. Most aren't affected. Toyota is just taking extra cautionary steps to prevent lawsuits, and mishaps. And of course the press, domestic auto manufacturers and Hyundai are having a field day. Let them have their party for now.

In all honesty, I believe the same thing. I've been talking about the drive-by-wire crap when it first came out..

A friend of mine completely redesigned his intake manifold to run an after market throttle body, and an aftermarket engine management system in his Subaru STi. Less BS, and better performance. (He actually put down 700+whp a few months ago on the dyno ).

You hit the nail on the head. Great angle/perspective. Glad I'm not alone seeing that.

Just curious,

A recall notice was issued last year on the 2008 Avalon (among others) due to the "floor mat" concern.

If you haven't yet received one, another recall notice is forthcoming pertaining to the sticking throttle problem. So it seems that not having "one single problem" is a comforting thought......for now.

We owned a 2006 Avalon XLS Limited, purchased new in 2005, and my wife refused to drive it. It lurched and shifted funny and was not "right". This problem did not appear right away when bought and was an occasional nuisance. Toyota would not meet our concerns in arbitration and we wound up trading it in, losing thousands. Based on that one experience, we will never own another Toyota.

We are, though, very VERY partial toward Subaru.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Not making it a Toyota vs. Ford, just pointing out that Toyotas aren't the only vehicles having problems with Sudden Acceleration. Many on here don't seem to grasp that.

And thats a good idea whiiteboy, new thread is started.
i appreciate it. thanks!

Mike

Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Just curious,

A recall notice was issued last year on the 2008 Avalon (among others) due to the "floor mat" concern.

If you haven't yet received one, another recall notice is forthcoming pertaining to the sticking throttle problem. So it seems that not having "one single problem" is a comforting thought......for now.

We owned a 2006 Avalon XLS Limited, purchased new in 2005, and my wife refused to drive it. It lurched and shifted funny and was not "right". This problem did not appear right away when bought and was an occasional nuisance. Toyota would not meet our concerns in arbitration and we wound up trading it in, losing thousands. Based on that one experience, we will never own another Toyota.

We are, though, very VERY partial toward Subaru.

Weird. No issues whatsoever. None. As I stated, nothing but oil changes, comfy drives, and great acceleration.

I received a recall about a cam seal that may cause leaks, and went to the dealership to get it done. The service advisor told me it wasn't under the recall, hence some models, not all.

It was weird that they sent it, but mine wasn't one of them. Baffled me for a bit, but still no leaks and kicking without problems.

I'm actually trying to source a Supercharger kit for it. .

Subarus are sweet!! STis, especially. You cant go wrong.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Any guesses from you guys/gals as to why Ford stock fell 5% today, given the announced profits and the Toyota issue?

I really can't figure it out. My only guess would be profit-taking or some fear over the remaining debt...

Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
As someone who has sat next to thousands of people at speed on a track and how many dimwits I've seen punch the throttle either not realizing it(despite the acceleration!) or thinking it's the brake(despite the acceleration!!) or having to look down at what pedal their foot is on(yes, despite the damn car accelerating!!!), I'm sorry but I'm not buying all this nonsense.

I also remember back to my days in college of working at a car wash and all the five floor mats and other garbage people had in their footwell and again I'm just not buying it.

Sure Toyota probably does have a problem with the software, that wouldn't surprise me considering the crap cars they have been making lately, but I'm just not buying that suddenly 40% of models out there have this problem.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Anyone know if these are all fly by wire throttles? I just can't envision cable or rod linkage doing this.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Any guesses from you guys/gals as to why Ford stock fell 5% today, given the announced profits and the Toyota issue?

I really can't figure it out. My only guess would be profit-taking or some fear over the remaining debt...
Maybe because they present themselves as being desperate. If they really think their vehicles are fantastic, why are they playing the rebate gimmick game? If they were smart, they would end the gimmickry. To a consumer, it just smells like the same old Detroit.
Ford Hops on Bandwagon to Profit From Toyota - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

Old 01-29-2010, 02:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
They were not made to stop selling the cars. They were asked and complied.

FALSE...see whiteboyslo's post. Thank you!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
I remember Audi having this problem back in the 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion