U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,466 posts, read 4,865,451 times
Reputation: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
How could your engine not be listed? There was only one engine available for all trim levels, and it was the 1.8 liter inline 4.
EDM Corollas are different from USDM ones, we got similar models to the JDM Corollas (Same everything, including some engines, but they had a wider selection). In fact, my Corolla is built in Japan, noticeable by the fact that the rear view mirror isn't attached to the windshield, like it is on the European built ones. I also have slightly different ball joints and a few other things.

This is veering steadily off course though



Point is this: If Nissan specifically says his car can do 5.000 miles between changes, then there's no need to change the oil every 3.000 miles. By all means, if he wants to, go right ahead, but it's unnecessary.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
 
8,142 posts, read 9,069,581 times
Reputation: 4803
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
___ gains gratification from arguing the most extreme position possible. Someone will then point out the flaws in his position, which leads to ____ arguing that his position is the absolute truth. This irritates a bunch of people, which is ultimately what he wants.

Then, he starts the process up all over again in another thread for his own amusement. He's our neighborhood troll, so don't worry...
I'm dumbfounded as to how people will still argue until they're blue in the face about something that no longer applies to "modern" vehicles(3K oil change).

I guess these geniuses don't own a car with an oil-life monitor. They don't know how to read the manufacturers warranties which state that if you follow the change interval suggested by the monitor, then your warranty will be valid. They don't realize that most all of the manufacturers warranty their powertrains for significantly beyond the length of the "standard" warranty itself.

It should be patently obvious to even the biggest moron that the manufacturer will err on the side of caution when it comes to maintenance intervals. I'm 100% positive that my monitor has never tripped before 6K miles. My monitor typically indicates at 6.5-8K on "conventional"(no synthetic) oil. 3K changes are a waste for 99% of the people out there.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 02-05-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
5,949 posts, read 3,127,890 times
Reputation: 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm dumbfounded as to how people will still argue until they're blue in the face about something that no longer applies to "modern" vehicles(3K oil change).

I guess these geniuses don't own a car with an oil-life monitor. They don't know how to read the manufacturers warranties which state that if you follow the change interval suggested by the monitor, then your warranty will be valid. They don't realize that most all of the manufacturers warranty their powertrains for significantly beyond the length of the "standard" warranty itself.

It should be patently obvious to even the biggest moron that the manufacturer will err on the side of caution when it comes to maintenance intervals. I'm 100% positive that my monitor has never tripped before 6K miles. My monitor typically indicates at 6.5-8K on "conventional"(no synthetic) oil. 3K changes are a waste for 99% of the people out there.
It should also be obvious to the biggest moron that the manufacturer has a vested interest in selling you a new car at the earliest interval. Oil change intervals can be affected greatly by a number of factors. That is part of the algorithms they use in oil change monitors. They calculate intervals based on engine rpms, temperature, and time. Some of the factors they cannot compute are dirt roads, filter changes or lack of, and severe service. If someone uses a vehicle strictly for short trips, then 3000 miles is a reasonable interval for oil changes due to the condensation that occurs inside the engine. This is also the case If someone lives in a rural area and drives a lot of dirt roads or allows their teenager to drive their vehicle. Most any engine today will last 100k or so with no problems with extended oil changes, but if you are a tightwad like me you like to milk at least 200k+ out of them and that usually requires more frequent changes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
 
8,142 posts, read 9,069,581 times
Reputation: 4803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It should also be obvious to the biggest moron that the manufacturer has a vested interest in selling you a new car at the earliest interval.
Yes, the average moron will run right back and buy a new car from the same manufacturer that sold them a car that only lasted 100K. Your argument is illogical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
if you are a tightwad like me you like to milk at least 200k+ out of them and that usually requires more frequent changes.
I've had one that went to 200K myself. I believe i went with 5K changes after the warranty expired. The motor was still running well when i got rid of it. My previous car was at 180K when it was damaged beyond repair in a collision. That one was also done on the same interval as my 200K vehicle.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
55 posts, read 122,293 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
If you don't change your oil every 3K miles you are asking for serious trouble--even with Mobile One or Royal Purple.

Change your oil tightwads!
Not really. It depends on driving style more than just on traveled distance. OF course distance is important, but that is not the only measure of it.

e.g. my father changes oil only after 10-11K miles, but the engine is in perfect condition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
 
10,481 posts, read 14,036,594 times
Reputation: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigol.S View Post

e.g. my father changes oil only after 10-11K miles, but the engine is in perfect condition.
So you have completely disassembled the engine and inspected all of the drive train to arrive at this conclusion?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,789 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Reputation: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So you have completely disassembled the engine and inspected all of the drive train to arrive at this conclusion?
forget trying to talk sense into people, LVD, cause it ain't gonna happen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,466 posts, read 4,865,451 times
Reputation: 2710
Just for ****s and giggles, I walked out to my car and had a looksie through the oil filling hole and a feel and look at the oil itself on the dipstick, my car is now desperate for an oil change (done about 10500 miles on this oil). The oil has a medium/medium dark brown tint, isn't as smooth as new oil (who would've expected that?) but is still pretty smooth to the touch. The one cam I could see through the oil filling hole was completely clean, very shiny and nice, all the other parts looked clean as well, there was no build up of any sludge or anything like that.

Oil is darker and cars journeyed further than I prefer it to between changes, but it's in no way horrible.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
 
33 posts, read 124,288 times
Reputation: 18
one question, what could possibly go wrong when oil isn't changed according to the 3000 mile rule? how will it affect the engine?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,789 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Reputation: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by automd View Post
one question, what could possibly go wrong when oil isn't changed according to the 3000 mile rule? how will it affect the engine?
well. If you stretch it to 5000 miles or so, probably nothing. Maybe a tiny bit of sludge buildup over time.. If you go to 7500 or more you will def get sludge buildup over time... much like eating fatty foods. Plaque buildup over time in the arteries can cause bad results over time. Its the same in your engine. The oil pump pickup may get partially clogged with sludge effecting oil pressure which can cause quicker upper cylinder wear and lifter clogging.. Your crank and cam bearings will wear faster to. Basically, you will shorten your engines life. Plain and simple. A $15 oil change at 3-5k miles is quick, cheap insurance to prolong a large engine repair bill. Pay a little now or a lot later..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top