U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 PM

24,967 posts, read 30,449,935 times
Question Ever been stuck on a icy hill?

Today I was stuck for first time on a icy hill. Three other vehicles was in front on me also was stuck. What freaked me out was my vehicle was slidding down a steep hill toward a very deep ditch. I was lucky because my vehicle stopped before going into a ditch. I had to get a tow truck to get off the ice.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 PM

8,294 posts, read 14,011,427 times
I lived in Minnesota for the better part of 20 years, so my answer is, "Ummm... Duhh!"

Actually, what's really nasty is when you're still in Drive and you start sliding backwards. That's when you know you're basically screwed. Not much control at that point.

Glad you're okay. Did you launder your jeans, or just throw them in the dryer?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 PM

I put it in park and put on the emergency brake. And it slidded a few feet and stopped. I then got out and stay out. The police didn't want nobody to stay in there vehicles. This happened in Tennessee which doesn't get alot of snow and ice.

John

Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 AM

Ice accidents video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB2hf...eature=related

------------------------------------------------------------------

Cars and ice on a downhill dont mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ffUj4pZI8

------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 AM

8,898 posts, read 11,733,637 times
That second video was here in Denver.

Try going up a small incline in 2WD when stopped. Try it in bumper-to-bumper traffic with tons of cars behind you. It sucks and is embarrassing.

Imagine how fun going sideways across a high freeway interchange connector is, hoping no one is stupid enough to try going around you.

Think about how bad your heart hurts when you're on ice, losing control, and are praying that you don't hit anything.

Think about how lucky you are when there are cars strewn all over the sides of the highway and you're still going.

Be careful out there folks!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 AM

16,649 posts, read 15,638,179 times
Yep, it's happened to me. Fun for the whole family.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,921,025 times
Only once has a hill ever beat me.

Doing a delivery to a farm in the Highlands.
I got down the hill ok, but 3/4 of the way down I realised it was fresh snow fallen on top of a hard packed frozen layer which had been plowed.

No matter what I did, I could not get up the hill again. I got halfway, then lost momentum.
It was a van, so no weight, and no traction.
My employer refused to send a recovery truck, and told me just to keep trying.

Eventually, the diff went "pop", and they had to send a truck after all.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 AM

949 posts, read 2,222,775 times
Having lived in PA. my whole life, I've been confronted by ice many times. The most interesting happened in the Lehigh Valley. A side street was glare ice and there was a fine mist. As I was going down the street verryyy slowly, my truck started going a little sideways. I was driving a 3/4 ton 4WD pickup with all terrain tires, so you know it was slippery. I stopped my forward motion, but the very little slope in the street from center to sides caused me to drift against a parked car. No damage, but my truck was sitting against the car. We got about 6 or 7 people and were able to push my truck sideways back to the middle of the street. Now that's what I call slippery!!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 AM

33,394 posts, read 28,007,444 times
The tricky part is backing down for another try. I had a VW Beetle fitted with oversize studded snow tires that was slow but unstoppable on packed snow or glare ice. I would drive at the speed limit while everyone was sliding off the road or stuck on a hill. Too bad that car rusted out or I would still be using it as a winter beater.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 AM

2,587 posts, read 4,760,426 times
knock on wood, i've only ever had this happen to me once. i grew up in SoCal and only moved to NC about 2 years ago, so snow/ice driving is a whole new concept for me. still, my mom's side of the family is all from upstate NY where this kind of stuff is the norm, and i had heard many stories sitting around Grandma's kitchen table about what to do and what not to do.

the time it happened to me, i was following a guy who was losing his mind (and trying my patience). i gave him plenty of room, but he kept oscillating from 30MPH to nothing, slamming on the brakes everytime he began to skid (driving a 4WD Cherokee nonetheless). when we got to the hill, i slowed down and waited until he was about 3/4 of the way up before i started my run. i thought i was in the clear, but Mr. Cherokee either hit the gas or found something slippery because his back end skooted out just a touch. he slammed on the brakes, which caused me to have to stop right on the steepest part of the hill. he eventually crested the hill, but at that point i was screwed. i tried to start up the hill but kept slipping back.

so, having no idea what to do otherwise, i turned off the TC, gunned it, and basically spun the tires like a madman 'til i gained forward momentum and could upshift. don't know if it was the right thing to do, but since the guy behind me had not extended me the same courtesy i gave Mr Cherokee, i didn't see a lot of other options at the time.

this was in a Scion xB with a manual tranny, btw, which i have come to conclude is actually not a bad vehicle for handling the elements. heck, that front bumper basically doubles as a snow plow, lol!

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive