Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times

Advertisements

I pretty much agree with GTOLover and M3Mitch since the real winner here (in the 'light' duty segment)is not made anymore...

International Harvester!

<Proud owner of a '72 IH ScoutII>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM

19 posts, read 71,213 times
Ford trucks are the most sturdy.
I really got t-boned in a ranger by a Suv to the point of knocking the whole bed off.
It spin the cabin around about 3 times ending up on its side.
Aye...I walked away without a scratch.
I may be bais...but I say a ford truck.
LOL

Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Last: Chevy
First: Toyota
with Dodge and Ford in close running for 1st. Chevy=Junk.
If they're such junk how comes there's tons of them still on the road with 200k + miles on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Those are the prime dates when ford and chevy have admiitted they sent out more defxctive vehicles to dealers to deal with.By 75 they catully didn't ahve a motro designed to run on regular unleaded gasolien and the vlves clatter badly until they introduced premium unleaded. The values in amny were shopt in one eyarts from carbon buidup. Terrible years for trucks and vehicles. Beside the power was terrible.Many porduced like `165 HP in a 300+ cu in V8 engine. Add a load to those vehicles and the valves really sounded like a diesel. Dealers had oiol comspnies make top enigne cleans to rid the carbon with their name on the can becasue of the carbon problems.People owning trucks started then to turn to diesels because of it.
LOL ok I'm going to agree with 73-79 Ford guy here, this is a bunch of baloney. My dad had a '78 Chevy 1/2 ton and a '75 Ford 1/2 ton that had none of these problems, a friend of mine has a '71 GMC that doesn't have any of these issues, another friend of mine had several Chevy trucks from '75 to '78 and never had these issues. The 165 hp from a 300 + cube engine didn't come along until about 1974. I don't know of anyone that owned one of these trucks that converted to diesel and THERE'S TONS OF THEM STILL ON THE ROAD! Don't believe everything you see on Fox news. Last but not least please learn how to use a spell check.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
1.Chevrolet
2.Ford
3.Dodge

Chevrolet in my opinion has the best drivetrain out of the 3 and is the most comfortable to drive. I hate the fact that you have to settle with IFS on their 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4's but I've learned to live with it. There is a 1500 with the 5.3l Vortec on one of my Chevy forums that just rolled 500,000 miles on the original motor. Other than a little piston slap on the earlier vortecs, they're great motors.

Ford can't be beat if you want a reliable work truck but I just don't like their current lineup of motors. The Super Duty is a stout rig but the Powerstroke and V10 leave a lot to be desired, but we'll see how the new Ford Diesel does. Of course they have solid front axles on the Super Duties so that is a big plus for me. I had a 78 F-150 with a 351 and 4spd. that was all original and ran like a champ up until I sold it not too long ago. On the other hand I've had a 94 F-150 with a 302HO that was a giant PITA. Overall though, Ford makes a damn good truck.

Dodge is my least favorite simply because their autos. are junk and the front ends fall apart too quick. The old 5.2's and 5.9's were very dependable motors though and I've owned both without a hitch. I owned a 2001 2500 with the 24v Cummins and it was an awesome truck but the steering and front suspension was the worst I've ever seen. They also get plus points for a solid front axle on HD's. You can keep the 5.7 Hemi as far as I'm concerned.

I'll always be a GM man but I'll never hesitate to buy any domestic pickup.
Remember what they say:
You want a fast truck, buy a Chevy
You want a work truck, buy a Ford
You want a cheap truck, buy a Dodge

Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
1.Chevrolet
2.Ford
3.Dodge

Chevrolet in my opinion has the best drivetrain out of the 3 and is the most comfortable to drive. I hate the fact that you have to settle with IFS on their 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4's but I've learned to live with it. There is a 1500 with the 5.3l Vortec on one of my Chevy forums that just rolled 500,000 miles on the original motor. Other than a little piston slap on the earlier vortecs, they're great motors.

Ford can't be beat if you want a reliable work truck but I just don't like their current lineup of motors. The Super Duty is a stout rig but the Powerstroke and V10 leave a lot to be desired, but we'll see how the new Ford Diesel does. Of course they have solid front axles on the Super Duties so that is a big plus for me. I had a 78 F-150 with a 351 and 4spd. that was all original and ran like a champ up until I sold it not too long ago. On the other hand I've had a 94 F-150 with a 302HO that was a giant PITA. Overall though, Ford makes a damn good truck.

Dodge is my least favorite simply because their autos. are junk and the front ends fall apart too quick. The old 5.2's and 5.9's were very dependable motors though and I've owned both without a hitch. I owned a 2001 2500 with the 24v Cummins and it was an awesome truck but the steering and front suspension was the worst I've ever seen. They also get plus points for a solid front axle on HD's. You can keep the 5.7 Hemi as far as I'm concerned.

I'll always be a GM man but I'll never hesitate to buy any domestic pickup.
Remember what they say:
You want a fast truck, buy a Chevy
You want a work truck, buy a Ford
You want a cheap truck, buy a Dodge
haha I like that saying cause it's pretty much true
I agree with the 302 I have and 91 F250 with it and it is way underpowered for the size of the truck the one thing I would change about my truck would be to but it with the 351 in it just for the extra get up and go and torque and HP but beside that my truck has been awsome never let me down and since it's my second vehicle and mywinter beater and use it for towing I run it hard.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I would vote for a Ford F250 or F350, especially one of their "work truck" models.

I really like the Tundra too... I just wish they weren't IFS.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Why isn't Mahindra on this list????? Just kidding. My vote would go to Ford.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
haha I like that saying cause it's pretty much true
I agree with the 302 I have and 91 F250 with it and it is way underpowered for the size of the truck the one thing I would change about my truck would be to but it with the 351 in it just for the extra get up and go and torque and HP but beside that my truck has been awsome never let me down and since it's my second vehicle and mywinter beater and use it for towing I run it hard.
Oh yeah, my only issue was that dang motor. The rest of the truck was trouble free and solid. I'm not a fan of Fords TTB front suspension or the borg warner transfer case that was in it but other then that I was happy.

I dreaded working under the hood of that truck, it was like trying to solve a puzzle with all the crap they crammed in there. I guess I got to used to being able to sit in the engine compartment of my 78 Ford pickup.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
If they're such junk how comes there's tons of them still on the road with 200k + miles on them?

Once again going by my own experience, that's all. 200K? So now because a truck gets 200K it's automatically a "good" truck? Nah, when they hit 400K like my cousins Toyota and is still on it's original motor and trans then I would say it's time to brag.
His dads good ol chevy is a 2001 with 84k and sits in the driveway with a bad transmission...and no the guy didn't abuse it, he's very old and drives easy. the truck is just junk like most chevys. But I wont start that old war.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Once again going by my own experience, that's all. 200K? So now because a truck gets 200K it's automatically a "good" truck? Nah, when they hit 400K like my cousins Toyota and is still on it's original motor and trans then I would say it's time to brag.
His dads good ol chevy is a 2001 with 84k and sits in the driveway with a bad transmission...and no the guy didn't abuse it, he's very old and drives easy. the truck is just junk like most chevys. But I wont start that old war.
Those of us that need a truck with power will deal with some quirks. With older toyotas HP numbers, you could run a riding lawn mower tranny and it would be fine. A yota wouldn't pull a greasy hair out of a cats a**.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive