Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,565,163 times

Advertisements

Uh, guys? This thread is almost three years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,667,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I believe their insurance requirements are 21 or older, so it would not apply in the case of the OP, though I would assume they have long since rented, or walked, to their destination, given the age of the post.
I agree on the irrelevancy but I checked and it's 18 minimum with at least two years of driving experience.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,251,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I agree on the irrelevancy but I checked and it's 18 minimum with at least two years of driving experience.
Not according to a question answered regarding eligibility. It's 21.

How old do I have to be? : RelayRides HelpDesk

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Not according to a question answered regarding eligibility. It's 21.

How old do I have to be? : RelayRides HelpDesk
I didn't look at the link as I have no reason to considering that you can drive at 18 but to rent in your name is 21. I checked through an actual user of RelayRides. However, the renter must pick the car up and return it. The renter can have knowledge that the "renter" won't be the driver but that's between the renter and owner to discuss.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I didn't look at the link as I have no reason to considering that you can drive at 18 but to rent in your name is 21. I checked through an actual user of RelayRides. However, the renter must pick the car up and return it. The renter can have knowledge that the "renter" won't be the driver but that's between the renter and owner to discuss.
No, that would invalidate the insurance coverage as RelayRides is not going to cover drivers on its policy who are not eligible to drive the vehicle. There's no way an insurance company is going to cover anything outside of the official eligibility requirements, should there be a problem, such as an accident. The owner would be at a total loss, should the car be totaled, and it would be no different than handing the keys to some random stranger from CraigsList, as in no sane person would entertain such a notion. RelayRides has a vetting process for its renters, but also has insurance, so there is a protection.

And, not clicking on the link to read their official age policy doesn't absolve one from knowledge of it, as one must agree to abide by the terms of the rental contract, and eligibility to drive/rent is included. Any driver has to be a member, and coverable by their insurance, like ZipCar, and other car sharing services, as you cannot purchase outside coverage for a rental. A renter and owner cannot come to an agreement outside of the terms of use set forth by RelayRides, and then expect that the insurance covers a problem, as any protection was invalidated at the moment the official policies, including age, were violated, leaving both parties on their own to cover potential losses/damages.

One cannot defraud the car sharing service and its insurance company, and then look to the benefits of said company to cover a problem, and/or assist with the rental. So, in short, RelayRides has a 21+ policy as do many sharing and rental agencies.

City-Data FAQs

Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
No, that would invalidate the insurance coverage as RelayRides is not going to cover drivers on its policy who are not eligible to drive the vehicle. There's no way an insurance company is going to cover anything outside of the official eligibility requirements, should there be a problem, such as an accident. The owner would be at a total loss, should the car be totaled, and it would be no different than handing the keys to some random stranger from CraigsList, as in no sane person would entertain such a notion. RelayRides has a vetting process for its renters, but also has insurance, so there is a protection.

And, not clicking on the link to read their official age policy doesn't absolve one from knowledge of it, as one must agree to abide by the terms of the rental contract, and eligibility to drive/rent is included. Any driver has to be a member, and coverable by their insurance, like ZipCar, and other car sharing services, as you cannot purchase outside coverage for a rental. A renter and owner cannot come to an agreement outside of the terms of use set forth by RelayRides, and then expect that the insurance covers a problem, as any protection was invalidated at the moment the official policies, including age, were violated, leaving both parties on their own to cover potential losses/damages.

One cannot defraud the car sharing service and its insurance company, and then look to the benefits of said company to cover a problem, and/or assist with the rental. So, in short, RelayRides has a 21+ policy as do many sharing and rental agencies.
This is also where you don't understand. RelayRides insurance won't cover but you may still do it under your own policy. It does not force the cars being rented to be under their insurance. You cannot claim it if you get into an accident but I guess the cars get into accidents every time they are rented off. The articles could be wrong and they recently changed the policy. As there are RelayRides articles in 2012 clearly stating that 18 is the minimum age to drive.

Unless RelayRides is going to stalk your car and look at everyone who gets in it right? I could go further but this is old and honestly irrelevant as there is no reason to make a post anywhere near as long as your arguing about the antiquated.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 AM

139 posts, read 406,439 times
maybe rent a reck or zip car

Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,121,278 times
Who Can Rent A Car/Age Requirements

Can I Rent A Car?

Before making a reservation for a cheap rental car, it is best that you check that you are eligible to do so by checking the car rental company's terms and conditions.
Young Drivers

Most agencies will have a non-negotiable minimum age requirement of 25. Younger drivers (usually 18 to 24) will be subject to a younger driver surcharge. Even if you do meet the age requirement, some agencies will even have an upper age requirement for certain specialty vehicles. Make sure to check with the agency policies online to get clear details about the younger driver policy and your particular situation. Also note that an international company might have different requirements for each location.
Some car rental companies have agreements with businesses to allow car rentals to younger drivers who will use the car for business purposes only. Sometimes the younger driver surcharge is even waived. If you are going on a business trip, and are a younger driver, it would be best to consult your company's corporate travel manager for further details.
Finally, military personnel or government employees as young as 18 may be exempt from the minimum age requirement, as long as the vehicle is for on-duty purposes only.
Credit History

Most rental companies need a guarantee for the rental of their cars. Therefore, they will require your credit card information as a deposit. (Most, but not necessarily all, major companies do not accept cash deposits).
Who Can Rent A Car/Age Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDizzy View Post
In Los Angeles Bestway Rent A Car allows 18 year olds to rent and 16 year olds can drive! The people there are very helpful and funny! check them out, they have a few locations in LA Best Way Rent A Car

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
This is also where you don't understand. RelayRides insurance won't cover but you may still do it under your own policy. It does not force the cars being rented to be under their insurance. You cannot claim it if you get into an accident but I guess the cars get into accidents every time they are rented off. The articles could be wrong and they recently changed the policy. As there are RelayRides articles in 2012 clearly stating that 18 is the minimum age to drive.

Unless RelayRides is going to stalk your car and look at everyone who gets in it right? I could go further but this is old and honestly irrelevant as there is no reason to make a post anywhere near as long as your arguing about the antiquated.
You are assuming someone renting has their own insurance. And, your policy may not cover the car if the person renting is involved in an accident because you are personally insured, not as a business. As to the length of post, information is of use to many, and no matter what an article states, the policy on the site says 21. So, there is ambiguity.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive