Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
How long does it generally take to learn all of the gear#/RPM/Road-speed combinations? And also, generally, what is the maximum tolerance (in RPM) for a smooth gear float to occur??... obviously you can't exactly match the speeds.
400 RPM from one gear to the next. It gets to be second nature with some practice.
How long does it take. I left the terminal after I got my truck and scratched gears for the next couple days, until I figured it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I don't drive trucks anymore. Towards the end of my truck driving days I was working on them more than I was driving. The point is, if most drivers would learn how to drive properly (double clutching or floating), I wouldn't put up a fuss. I got tired of adjusting clutches every 10,000 miles because the driver would slip it so bad. I got tired of swapping out clutch brakes just to have the driver tear the new one out 2 days later because he pushed the clutch to the floor going 40 mph. I got tired of sloppy transmissions that would jump out of gear because the driver thought it was ok to hear a huge clunk while shifting gears. See what I'm saying?

Did I float when I did drive? Hell yes!! I was pulling end dumps in metro ATL, my leg would have fallen off sitting in 75/85/285 traffic. Working as a mechanic gives you a new level of anger aimed at drivers, lol. Of course, Mechanics wouldn't be as busy if it wasn't for questionable drivers.

Are there good drivers out there? Of course, but can you honestly tell me you've seen more good drivers than bad? If you have, I want to know where you live. lol
I said they float the gears never said they were good or bad.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
I said they float the gears never said they were good or bad.
lol. Well a missed gear while floating is more harmful to the truck then a missed gear while double clutching. Thats what I was getting at.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
lol. Well a missed gear while floating is more harmful to the truck then a missed gear while double clutching. Thats what I was getting at.
Maybe, but a scratch is still a scratch. Either way the potential for damage is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive