Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM

273 posts, read 957,052 times

Advertisements

I've had many cars over the years. Many supercars when they were new. Some big foreign jobs with 3 and 4 letter names. Mostly sticks, but a few autos in the right car combination (like the big wedge Mopars if any of you all can remember them and why a Torqueflite was the hot setup). I can still drive as well and as far as most (recent 14 hr solo jaunt from MD to mid FL). I can drive well, enjoy driving and cars. That said....

A car we bought a few years ago came w the rain sensing wipers. It is not why we bought this car. They were just there. I gradually got used to them and now turn them on (YES they must be turned on manually to start) 80-90% of the time. We use this setting BECAUSE they work well, much better than constantly adjusting the pace of manually controlled intermittents. If constantly adjusting the wiper setting is 'driving' to you it is OK with me.

We recently bought another new car. On the first long, rainy trip, both I and my wife said we missed the auto sensing wipers.

If you don't like em don't buy em but for cripe's sake why the need to insult those who like em? I don't get it. (BTW the 2005 car's wipers are chugging along just fine.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM

404 posts, read 1,555,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's not laziness, but conditioning toward the day when we will no longer drive our cars, they will do the driving for us. Examine all the passive safety features that are for accident avoidance, all the electronic controls, and some not so passive systems such as self-parking.
imagine. a car driving itself. while we are perfectly capable. driving is part of life for me. if i wanted to be driven, i'd hire a driver

oh, what pawns we have become :/

Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
imagine. a car driving itself. while we are perfectly capable. driving is part of life for me. if i wanted to be driven, i'd hire a driver

oh, what pawns we have become :/
I don't see exactly how accepting that the sensor far more actively controlling the wiper speed, allowing you to focus purely on the driving takes away from the experience of ...driving, or how it makes you any less of a driver.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM

ok i gotta admit that would be kinda cool. but only if it can drive according to my voice commands. what i say behind the wheel, goes

imagine all the liability issues in the US? man it would be ugly

solution? well, give 'em a "black box," of course

Last edited by ploopy; 06-01-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I don't see exactly how accepting that the sensor far more actively controlling the wiper speed, allowing you to focus purely on the driving takes away from the experience of ...driving, or how it makes you any less of a driver.
no i wasn't talking about the wipers. i was talking about how the guy mentioned moving toward the day of automated transpo by car

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
no i wasn't talking about the wipers. i was talking about how the guy mentioned moving toward the day of automated transpo by car
I apologize I misread that.

Carry on

Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
My dad has rain-sensing wipers on his 5-series and they're really a godsend in So Cal weather where it kind of drizzles intermittently. I'm sure in other parts of the US where you get steady downpours it's a bit useless since you just need to hit on or off. But here we tend to get misting & fogging & sprinkles that vary from one zip code to the next, so in the course of an hour-long commute you may be constantly fiddling with the wipers as you plod along in traffic on the freeway.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM

660 posts, read 1,652,566 times
I think they are great. Not a necessity of course, but nice to have if they come standard on the car you buy.

The only thing is that you must remember to shut them off when you enter an automatic car wash.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:23 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, does anyone have this on their car? I know a lot of Mazdas have it for instance. For those of you who do have it -- am I missing something here? Is there really some benefit to it other than you don't have to move your fingers two inches from the steering wheel to a stalk to turn on the wipers in inclement weather?

Have we really gotten that lazy? I mean, I already have built-in rain sensors, it's called MY EYEBALLS. So if anyone has it and finds it indispensable, please explain to me what I'm missing.

I'm late to the thread here, but I couldn't agree more.

They are a pain in the arse- that's a technical expression.

I want control over them.

If they do a sweep at the first sign of damp you can end up with a great smear across the windscreen. Better to let it get properly wet and then clear it.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
I have a 03 Z4 and I like my automatic wipers, though I usually have them off since when you have the wipers on there's a brake drying mechanism, since it thinks you think its raining, makes sense, but if it is not raining and you have the auto wipers active the brake drying mechanism is still on - even if the wipers aren't going.

Kinda stupid, but nothing's perfect.

I like the functionality of them except in the wispy drizzle that we get in Seattle. That's when I manually turn them on the lowest setting. In all other kinds of rain, it only wipes when I need it to, and more wiping to me means more distraction from driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive