Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times

Advertisements

Galant a mid sized car? the malibu of late a mid sized car? A mid sized car is from the 60's and 70's, and after that, someone got car sizes all screwed up. Sorry, but todays impalas in my opinion are only compact cars. Cars like the accord, camery, malibu, those are sub compacts, maybe border line compacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Galant a mid sized car? the malibu of late a mid sized car? A mid sized car is from the 60's and 70's, and after that, someone got car sizes all screwed up. Sorry, but todays impalas in my opinion are only compact cars. Cars like the accord, camery, malibu, those are sub compacts, maybe border line compacts.
nothing got screwed up over the years. If the largest car of today is only 3/4 sized as compared to the largest car of 50 years ago, should the mid sized today be 3/4 the size of the mid sized of 50 years ago? Its just the general size of cars have shrunk across the board over time.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:42 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I would buy a Galant over any Detroit vehicle, but there are too many better cars than the Galant in the price range. Hyundai quality is better, and they are priced right.
Aren't Hyundai and Mitsu still partnering on many of their vehicles? If so, I hope the Mitsu quality is better in the Hyundai.....

Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Aren't Hyundai and Mitsu still partnering on many of their vehicles? If so, I hope the Mitsu quality is better in the Hyundai.....
no, I do not believe that they are associated with each other anymore.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
no, I do not believe that they are associated with each other anymore.
You sure? I heard the 2.0L in the Genesis coupe was a Lancer motor, and that both Mitsu and Chrysler partnered with Hyundai for the engineering design of their larger engines.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
You sure? I heard the 2.0L in the Genesis coupe was a Lancer motor, and that both Mitsu and Chrysler partnered with Hyundai for the engineering design of their larger engines.
The Genesis Coupe 2.0T is sourced from the newer turbo Mitsubishi Ralliart. It's good for about 400hp and will do quite a bit more with block guards.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
nothing got screwed up over the years. If the largest car of today is only 3/4 sized as compared to the largest car of 50 years ago, should the mid sized today be 3/4 the size of the mid sized of 50 years ago? Its just the general size of cars have shrunk across the board over time.
Which is a good thing IMO. I would hate to drive anything larger than our 2006 Maxima (which feels enormous) and find the size of my G35 to be just right in terms of comfort.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:50 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Easy answer.
Cars have evolved.
You haven't.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Quote:
Has got to be the Mitsubishi Galant. I don't know what to think about this car. Mitsubishi is not known for the solid reliability of its Japanese peers, and lately the company has been putting most of it's attention towards marketing its smaller cars. You almost never hear anything about the Galant, and in comparisons of similar cars, it rarely gets mentioned or even considered competition.

I was actually a fan of the Galant styling throughout the 90s (loved the stereo with the equalizers) and up until the current model came out in 2004. I drove my cousin's 2000 Galant back when it was new, and it reminded me of my Mother's '97 Altima, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm assuming the driving characteristics haven't changed much. I mean, can anything be more boring than the current Camry? Don't know much about its reliability but I'd guess it's hit or miss.

Any thoughts?
funny,when I saw the title of this thread the Galant was the exact car I thought of...

Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Was there ever a good Galant? A nurse at work drives a 90s model Galant that has those narrow headlights. Two neighbors drive the current generation Galant sedan. Chrysler's Sebring and Avenger share many parts and engines with the Galant. You'd think they'd take a page from Subaru and offer their sedan with a turbo 4 engine like the Legacy. Imagine a Galant with an Evo motor and all wheel drive like the Evo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive