U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,721,458 times

Advertisements

Whenever I buy a vehicle , which is rare, I always do my research to find a vehicle that meets my criteria for function,reliability, comfort, and long term use value.

I alway also make it a habit never to fall "in love" with any vehicle.

How do you select the vehicles you buy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM

5,994 posts, read 17,867,508 times
I read every review I can possibly find and more importantly I join a car forum for that specific model. A forum will offer you the best possible idea of what you can expect from the vehicle from people who actually have to live with this vehicle on a daily basis. You will find a large listing of complains, fixes, praise, discussion of features, etc.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM

874 posts, read 2,741,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I read every review I can possibly find and more importantly I join a car forum for that specific model. A forum will offer you the best possible idea of what you can expect from the vehicle from people who actually have to live with this vehicle on a daily basis. You will find a large listing of complains, fixes, praise, discussion of features, etc.
I do the same and find many of the vehicle specific forums to be helpful. When looking I also do searches for any recalls the vehicle may have had. There are a number of web sites that will tell you any recalls on any specific vehicle for free.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM

48,503 posts, read 92,795,512 times
I always take my time. I also never get in a hurry to buy. Most times after i decide to buy a new one I take at least three months before buying. I by then have researched and know about what I will pay.If i thnik its too high I just say so and pass on it.I just really don't like buying a vehicle and it drives my wife nuts.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 3,887,692 times
A few years ago I decided I eventually wanted to buy a used Subaru Outback to replace my 1991 Subaru Legacy that I was driving. I did a lot of research about the 1st and 2nd generation Outbacks that were available. The 1st Gen Outbacks (1995-1999) are prone to catastrophic head gasket failures so I decided to look at ones 2000 or newer. I didn't need a new car right away, but I kept an eye on the local ads and classifieds. When a 2001 Outback with 109kon it for $4600 popped up in the classifieds I jumped on it right away. It was priced thousands lower than kbb. We sort of knew the folks who were selling. It has a problem with the factory paint job (looks fine from a couple of feet away) and they thought it needed a catalytic converter (it's fine), so they priced it cheap. It's been a great car!

We bought a 1996 Toyota Tacoma a few months ago. We did a lot of research into the types of engines available in older Tacos and only looked at trucks that had the features we wanted.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,721,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I just really don't like buying a vehicle and it drives my wife nuts.
Yeah, I know the feeling!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,813,566 times
I love buying vehicles! And I especially love buying one that I 'love'.

I rarely buy new, and prefer older cars, so I do engage in a lot of research, but would NOT buy anything I did not have a passion for. (unless it was a 'fall out of the sky' deal)

Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 AM

4,500 posts, read 11,527,888 times
I continuously research cars I like, simply due to my interest of cars. So when I but a new car, I'll have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting, if I'm buying used, same applies, but will do some checks on the car too. If I just need transportation, I pick something reliable.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:18 AM

7,004 posts, read 20,378,675 times
I do all the research my brain can handle then give the SOB a test drive.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 AM

2,698 posts, read 11,478,219 times
I test drive first just to make sure I can fit, then I generally do some online research to determine what the vehicle's major faults are. The best places for this kind of info are online forums dedicated to that particular make or model. You just have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. If you were to base your opnion solely on what you read on these forums, you would think EVERY car out there is a POS, but it's not like people go on these forums and post 'no problems here', if you catch my drift.

I will admit to making a few impulse purchases, though, and it has cost me. I look at them as learning lessons and try not to dwell on it.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive