Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That is step 1 for a car sales man. They are worse, or atleast as bad as meat wagon chasin lawyers. The lawyers alledgedly went to school, where as a salesman hasn't any need.

Because one likes cars is no reason to be a car sales man.
I like motorcycles but wound never consider to be a full time tech. The why is i would be working during great riding time, and for so little money I could never afford to buy a new bike.

The best of the best harley techs can't afford a new HD, not even close.

Top pay for one might be 40,000 a year, but that won't be what a guy gets even after 10 years sweat, blood and tears, and he would be a top shelf high quality tech.

I wonder if most folks understand car techs OWN their tools and the tool boxes and these pro tools don't come cheap. Sears and a few of the Golden Muffler shops loan techs tools, but you won't find great techs in these places.
if you go to trade shcool and train to be a bike mechanic and find a shop to let you apprentice there in 4 years you will be a journey man and have a skill that you can use to find other jobs in that field I mean you have to think about what you would enjoy doing for a job car sales is not solid but a bike tech will always be needed to fix things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I've got a question for you car sales folks; What, if any diference does it make if you tell the sales person that you will or won't have the vehicle you bought serviced at their dealership? We think dealer shops are overpriced AND we have our own trusted independent mechanic. If you buy a vehicle from them , never have it serviced by them, then go back to buy a second one a year or so later, do they take that in account when making the deal? Just curious...
Not really relevant as far as sales go...

It can be very important if you have warranty issues or problems just past the manufacturer's written warranty period.

I've seen zone reps make exceptions when the person having the problem is a repeat buyer and has their service work done a Franchised Dealer.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 71,193 times
@crew...I think the only thing that they really take into account is that commishion they're going to get off you.Which is as much as humanly possible without you just walking away and leaving them hangin.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I've got a question for you car sales folks; What, if any diference does it make if you tell the sales person that you will or won't have the vehicle you bought serviced at their dealership? We think dealer shops are overpriced AND we have our own trusted independent mechanic. If you buy a vehicle from them , never have it serviced by them, then go back to buy a second one a year or so later, do they take that in account when making the deal? Just curious...

Some do, some don't.

Most dealerships lose money selling cars, but make it up financing and servicing cars, so some will take it in to consideration.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
By the way, I love all the people that assume it's all about the commission and that we make tons of money on each sale.

It just goes to show how little you actually know.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I disagree. Sure, I know there are some extremely crooked car dealers and salesmen out there and this probably accounts for most of them, but there are also very honest car salespeople with integrity and morals too. You are basing your opinion on your personal experience at that dealer. I know there are dealers out there who are reputable and honest and don't train their salespeople to be dishonest sharks.
I disagree with you as well. Any high commission sales position will involve a degree of unethical behavior because it's the nature of the business. People are rewarded on volume and it's extremely difficult for a person to be ethical and turn down additional money at the expense of being honest. Maybe there are some salesman who are honest and are willing to take less money at the expense of being honest but most do not. And this applies to all fields that involves a heavy sales aspect like real estate, plastic surgery, cosmetic dentistry, serving tables (suggesting the most expensive bottle of wine or glass), recruiters, Sears salesman etc. It's not just car salesmen

I personally don't hate care salesman and realize they are just putting food on the table and trying to earn a living as well. Why would someone try to take less money if they can? They want to make as much money as they can and that's understandable. I don't take it personally. That being said, I have one hell of a defense and know how to protect myself against their tricks because I'm aware of what they do and how they think.

And they don't make a lot of money like you think. And even the ones who claim they are making a lot of money are not really! Most of the top car salesmen are making a little over 100K while most earn around 50-60K per year. Some of the ones at the high end dealerships can make more (close to 200K) but they usually have to be top salesmen at other dealerships first and work their way to get those positions at Mercedes Benz etc.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-23-2010 at 02:26 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I disagree with you as well. Any high commission sales position will involve a degree of unethical behavior because it's the nature of the business. People are rewarded on volume and it's extremely difficult for a person to be ethical and turn down additional money at the expense of being honest. Maybe there are some salesman who are honest and are willing to take less money at the expense of being honest but most do not. And this applies to all fields that involves a heavy sales aspect like real estate, plastic surgery, cosmetic dentistry, serving tables (suggesting the most expensive bottle of wine or glass), recruiters, Sears salesman etc. It's not just car salesmen

I personally don't hate care salesman and realize they are just putting food on the table and trying to earn a living as well. Why would someone try to take less money if they can? They want to make as much money as they can and that's understandable. I don't take it personally. That being said, I have one hell of a defense and know how to protect myself against their tricks because I'm aware of what they do and how they think.

And they don't make a lot of money like you think. And even the ones who claim they are making a lot of money are not really! Most of the top car salesmen are making a little over 100K while most earn around 50-60K per year. Some of the ones at the high end dealerships can make more (close to 200K) but they usually have to be top salesmen at other dealerships first and work their way to get those positions at Mercedes Benz etc.
A lot of salesmen don't make it... it is fairly easy to enter the field and many don't last a year or always on the move...

Also, there is little incentive for a floor salesman to build-up the reputation of the Dealer... in most cases... as in repeat sales... the time interval is too long.

I admire my Grandfather because he was able to sell to multiple generations over many years... he lost some business by not working Sundays... although he was always willing to work early or late the other 6 days of the week...

I still run into people that recognize my name and tell me of cars they bought from a Car Dealer with the same name... My Grandfather has been gone almost 40 years and people still remember him fondly

Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM

133 posts, read 282,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I think as a former car salesman the most important thing is to work for a Great store with good managers and a good support staff. It's like would you rather be playing for the Lions or the Saints?

I know this answer. DA SAINTS

Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
I am a Car Salesman. I am neither dishonest nor a snake. You may find it interesting that I am a former Teacher, with a Masters Degree in Education. I have a family, just like many of you. I have neighbors, I attend church, I go to sporting events, guess what??, I am a guy who gets up every morning and goes to work to support my family just like you do. Here's the best part !!!...Everyone wants to talk about how Salesmen lie, well let me tell you, after coming from a Teaching Profession, I was AMAZED at how CUSTOMERS lie !!! I mean, it is absolutely rediculous ! I am constantly lied to, but still expected to treat YOU with respect. You want the best deal possible, but your lies really hinder me in my ability to accurately quote you a payment or interest rate! I suggest the next time you are on a lot, you treat your Salesman ( or Woman ) with the same respect that you expect from them. You may be surprised at how much harder that person will work for you, and how much sweeter your deal may get !!! I'm just sayin' ...................

Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
You were a teacher with a masters in education, really?
I am glad you never taught any of my children. It's not "interesting", just somewhat amazing, going by the way you write.
BTW this thread was abandoned 15 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD? View Post
I am a Car Salesman. I am neither dishonest nor a snake. You may find it interesting that I am a former Teacher, with a Masters Degree in Education. I have a family, just like many of you. I have neighbors, I attend church, I go to sporting events, guess what??, I am a guy who gets up every morning and goes to work to support my family just like you do. Here's the best part !!!...Everyone wants to talk about how Salesmen lie, well let me tell you, after coming from a Teaching Profession, I was AMAZED at how CUSTOMERS lie !!! I mean, it is absolutely rediculous ! I am constantly lied to, but still expected to treat YOU with respect. You want the best deal possible, but your lies really hinder me in my ability to accurately quote you a payment or interest rate! I suggest the next time you are on a lot, you treat your Salesman ( or Woman ) with the same respect that you expect from them. You may be surprised at how much harder that person will work for you, and how much sweeter your deal may get !!! I'm just sayin' ...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive