U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,189,849 times

Advertisements

Hello

Well I know the view many take of car salesman here, and i tend to share some of those negative thoughts. However, I think I would enjoy the job being i have never done sales, and i love cars. Plus, people are happy (usually) to buy a car, and i get excited about that. It would seem a cool thing to meet new people everyday and put them in new cars. Idc who i woukld sell for, but i am thinking Hyundai, as i drive one already, want a Genesis Coupe, and they are on the upswing in sales.

Question: If you have sold cars before, how is it on the "inside?" What kind of money can you make on average (range is ok) selling mainstream brands? I am willing to work a lot, holidays, weekends, nights, etc. Its just something i know i would enjoy doing everyday.

I have no sales experience but have worked Customer Service before (not dealership), and am good with people and numbers / finances. I am personable, friendly, honest, handsome, and look good in a suit. People tend to trust me. But as said, i have no experience in sales. Will some dealerships train me? Do i need to get a "lower rung" job at a dealer first, and find my way in?

What do you guys think? To sell or not to sell cars? Also, i am "single" w/ girlfriend and no dependents. So making tons of cash isn't too big an issue.

I would like to do this and keep my integrity, also (lol). Is there any such thing as that in car sales? I hope so!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,065,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
Hello

Well I know the view many take of car salesman here, and i tend to share some of those negative thoughts. However, I think I would enjoy the job being i have never done sales, and i love cars. Plus, people are happy (usually) to buy a car, and i get excited about that. It would seem a cool thing to meet new people everyday and put them in new cars. Idc who i woukld sell for, but i am thinking Hyundai, as i drive one already, want a Genesis Coupe, and they are on the upswing in sales.

Question: If you have sold cars before, how is it on the "inside?" What kind of money can you make on average (range is ok) selling mainstream brands? I am willing to work a lot, holidays, weekends, nights, etc. Its just something i know i would enjoy doing everyday.

I have no sales experience but have worked Customer Service before (not dealership), and am good with people and numbers / finances. I am personable, friendly, honest, handsome, and look good in a suit. People tend to trust me. But as said, i have no experience in sales. Will some dealerships train me? Do i need to get a "lower rung" job at a dealer first, and find my way in?

What do you guys think? To sell or not to sell cars? Also, i am "single" w/ girlfriend and no dependents. So making tons of cash isn't too big an issue.

I would like to do this and keep my integrity, also (lol). Is there any such thing as that in car sales? I hope so!

Thanks

Ploopy - Go for it! You might love it or you may hate it, but if you don't try it you will never know. Life is too short.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:28 PM

10,485 posts, read 22,162,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
Hello

Thanks
Ploopy,

I went through the car training academy at Moderator cut: Dealership name removed in Phoenix, Arizona. around 14 years ago. I was taught everything in the book as in lying, cheating, not letting the customers leave, etc. If you are an honest person you will NEVER make it as a new car salesman. That does not mean mean you can not make great money in it though. You just have to totally turn off all your morals when you go to work is all.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Removed specific dealer name - OK to send via DM. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,131,706 times
Steve is right.

I have thought of doing this too, but the thought of everyone labeling me a snake before they even meet me kinda keeps me from doing it.

Bad thing about the whole thing is it's really not the salesman who is the snake most the time. Usually it's the auto maker or the dealer themselves.

I say give it a try, but expect some people to be a bit on defense.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Ploopy,

I went through the car training academy at Moderator cut: Removed dealer name in Phoenix, Arizona. around 14 years ago. I was taught everything in the book as in lying, cheating, not letting the customers leave, etc. If you are an honest person you will NEVER make it as a new car salesman. That does not mean mean you can not make great money in it though. You just have to totally turn off all your morals when you go to work is all.
I disagree. Sure, I know there are some extremely crooked car dealers and salesmen out there and this probably accounts for most of them, but there are also very honest car salespeople with integrity and morals too. You are basing your opinion on your personal experience at that dealer. I know there are dealers out there who are reputable and honest and don't train their salespeople to be dishonest sharks.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Steve is right.

I have thought of doing this too, but the thought of everyone labeling me a snake before they even meet me kinda keeps me from doing it.

Bad thing about the whole thing is it's really not the salesman who is the snake most the time. Usually it's the auto maker or the dealer themselves.

I say give it a try, but expect some people to be a bit on defense.

I think I would find satisfaction in being labeled as a snake and showing the customer they were wrong and that they could trust me and I wasn't out to screw them.

I agree that the problem is usually the dealer or automaker versus the individual salesman.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I disagree. Sure, I know there are some extremely crooked car dealers and salesmen out there and this probably accounts for most of them, but there are also very honest car salespeople with integrity and morals too. You are basing your opinion on your personal experience at that dealer. I know there are dealers out there who are reputable and honest and don't train their salespeople to be dishonest sharks.
Steve, I have posted this before that I went through their class before at Moderator cut: Removed dealer name when I was 21 years old. I am being honest here, and I refuse to get into any arguments on it.

Edit: Moderator cut: Removed dealership/dealer name He owned around ten others dealerships in Phoenix metro that were all part of the same group and schooling process.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-18-2010 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Removed dealer/dealership name - OK to send via DM. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Steve, I have posted this before that I went through their class before at Moderator cut: Removed dealer name when I was 21 years old. I am being honest here, and I refuse to get into any arguments on it.
Um....I never said I wanted to argue. I just disagreed, and partially at that, and explained why and made what I feel is a valid point. How is that wanting to argue? Whatever....

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-18-2010 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 PM

7,549 posts, read 18,504,332 times
I think as a former car salesman the most important thing is to work for a Great store with good managers and a good support staff. It's like would you rather be playing for the Lions or the Saints?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Um....I never said I wanted to argue. I just disagreed, and partially at that, and explained why and made what I feel is a valid point. How is that wanting to argue? Whatever....
It was not you, but I have gotten into to fights with others on this in the past. I do not think all car salesman are scum, trash, thieves, etc. I was just trained to be one, and I could not make it since I am not that way. However, I do believe there are honest car salesman out there who still can make a decent living. That just would not fly at where I worked, but I can not speak for every new car dealership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive