Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 20,605 times

Advertisements

Hey there!, Ok so my car was sitting idle in my garage for the last 3 months, due to needing a part I finally got..A mass airflow sensor, for my nissan '98 car..I would run the car once a week while it sat in my garage, just to make sure the engine/battery wouldn't go dead on me..So now with the new part, it starts fine, a/c works fine, so I take it on a run around the block a few times, it feels a bit slow still, and it doesn't 'pick-up' like it used too..My question to anyone out there is this..How long, or how many runs would I need to do in order for it to kick into its regular old self again? and not seem like its hesitating to accelerate when at a stop light/intersection?..I get anxious and paranoid its gonna die out on me right in the middle of the intersection, hence not wanting to take it even down to the nearest shopping center!..The spark plugs were changed, hoses changed, had a new transmission put in over a years ago..oil was cleaned out, the mechanic let it run on high idle to clean it out..
Any reply, suggestion, own experience pertaining to this particular auto part would be greatly, welcomed!!..Mahalo for taking the time to read this post and reply!!..Peace*

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-18-2010 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: moved from Hawaii forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,505,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohareye View Post
Hey there!, Ok so my car was sitting idle in my garage for the last 3 months, due to needing a part I finally got..A mass airflow sensor, for my nissan '98 car..I would run the car once a week while it sat in my garage, just to make sure the engine/battery wouldn't go dead on me..So now with the new part, it starts fine, a/c works fine, so I take it on a run around the block a few times, it feels a bit slow still, and it doesn't 'pick-up' like it used too..My question to anyone out there is this..How long, or how many runs would I need to do in order for it to kick into its regular old self again? and not seem like its hesitating to accelerate when at a stop light/intersection?..I get anxious and paranoid its gonna die out on me right in the middle of the intersection, hence not wanting to take it even down to the nearest shopping center!..The spark plugs were changed, hoses changed, had a new transmission put in over a years ago..oil was cleaned out, the mechanic let it run on high idle to clean it out..
Any reply, suggestion, own experience pertaining to this particular auto part would be greatly, welcomed!!..Mahalo for taking the time to read this post and reply!!..Peace*
Not a Nissan guy, but most cars need to have the battery disconnected to reset the main computer after what you have done. Then, they need to have an "idle learn procedure" done. Generally, this means starting the vehicle with ALL accessories OFF and letting the car idle for at least 20 minutes.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 AM

Yay!..Thanks for your reply!..We were talking about it, and figured it must be the battery in some way that its running kinda low. Will definitely give it a good dang try cause I Really really miss driving..ok not so much the traffic and gas prices, but just the peace of mind knowing I Can drive it when I need too makes my life and my families a whole lot easier!!..Thanks again for your quick response!..Mahalo Mdand3boys..Peace*

Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,408 times
Yo MD Can you replace a clutch in my car?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
It sounds like it could be an oxygen sensor. I had a similar stalling and hesitation problem with my Miata and that was the cause.

I wouldn't run the car in the garage if it's attached to the house even if it's open. carbon monoxide will get in the house

Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
with some cars, replacing the faulty part, doesn't automatically reset the ECU. It still stores the fault, and may still adjust to compensate.
Some older ones it can be done by taking the battery off overnight, but I've a feeling 98 might be too new for that.
It is possible you'll need to take it to a diagnostics centre to have the ECU reset.
Give it a little while, and see if it clears up. It might be a temporary thing after sitting so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohareye View Post

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,255 times
Is there any check engine light on still? Whether or not there is, you can take it to Autozone and have them reset the computer for free. I use the same brand code scanner they use and it resets the computers on most vehicles. It definitely would work on your Nissan.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 PM

33 posts, read 285,851 times
i agree, have your system reset because the program of the removed, or replaced part still exists. or just plain reconnecting the battery will do.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 PM

Big 'ole smile on this lady's face!..Thanks everyone for all these so important info.!..I know I should know more about the car I drive, I've tried to understand the manual and slowly try to *see it* in my mind but seems like my head gets some mental block or something..yeah I feel like duhh then I get frustrated. I can *get* instructions and *see* recipes in my head more than what goes where in a car and its engine..rest assure I'm not giving up on learning as I go along..With all the help I get from posting here, you can imagine what a relief it is to know and how great it feels to come back and actually see posts/replies to my car problems.. Thank you all and I Will be looking into, trying out and yeah, taking it down to get it reset should the other options don't turn out just right..Hey , I can cook a mean beef stew though!..heh..good eats on a chilly night!..I'll let you all know in a few days or so how me and my car turns out..Till then, many Mahalos and Peace*

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,134,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Not a Nissan guy, but most cars need to have the battery disconnected to reset the main computer after what you have done. Then, they need to have an "idle learn procedure" done. Generally, this means starting the vehicle with ALL accessories OFF and letting the car idle for at least 20 minutes.
Very true. making the main computer relearn will cause it to make any automatic adjustments needed for a smooth running engine. Also it really helps to add one full can of SEA FOAM GAS TREATMENT to a tank of gas and any dirt or water or gunk caused from sitting will quickly be washed clean from the inside of the engine and fuel supply/injectors. This stuff works great for issues like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive