Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:10 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,783,547 times

Advertisements

ignore is your friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,399,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Obvious troll is obvious. Or a Japanophile.
......Again, instead of DODGING questions, come up with facts. That's all.

Making fun of the person, not being able to come up with facts, calling people Japanophiles, because you can't find anything of substance to say or prove the contrary.

Waste of time.

Who's trolling or looking for post counts now?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM

18,412 posts, read 15,119,766 times
All I know is I havent had a lick of trouble from my 2003 Chevy Tahoe so far. At 80,000 miles, it still drives like it was new. I owned a Supra Turbo in 88 when I graduated high school and the thing was constantly in the shop. I haven't bought any of those cheaply made Japanese cars since then.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,259,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I'm still waiting for these innovations from the domestics, I asked for.

Still looking? You'll be there for a while.

Enjoy!!

If I listed all the innovations from the US car companies, the book would be as thick as Webster's dictionary. So what new idea has the japanese EVER had no one before them had?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
True. Now, find me a V6 3.8l twin turbo, AWD American car that did it. (You wont find an American car under 3.5 liters making the same power Japanese and European cars make). They relied too much on displacement. Now they're adding forced induction .

(Not some excessive displacement mobiles you just mentioned).

While I respect these cars, I have to say they always rely on excessive engine sizes. That's what always turned me off from these cars.

I had a 3.0 liter Supra turbo that used to kick my friend's Grand National 3.8 liter V6 with many mods, on the track, it wasn't fun anymore. Granted I loved his car, and the aftermarket support if had, but that car could not handle or stop for crap. It had the gusto in the straight line, but that's not all a car should do. It has to turn, take corners, stop, and have balance.

Again, I'm a car guy, and give credit when and where it's due.

Oh by the way, Kenny....sold his GN for a Twin Turbo Z. Hasn't looked back. He owns a Nissan GT-R now btw (runs high 10s, and driven to work the next day). (Videos are on YouTube).

THEN:

Show me 10 recent innovations Domestic car makers have come up within the last 5 years, that other car makers in the world have followed.

I'm waiting...you know what.

Give me 5, and it's a wrap.

Intercoolers, first on Detroit made vehicles. #1
#2 first use of a turbo on a factory engine- Packard.
#3 Hemi design cylinder head. -Desoto
#4 4 valves per cylinder- Desoto
#5 airbags-Ford
#6 first supercharged production vehicle- Duesenburg, followed by Ford for Mercury
#7 Seatbelts
#8 Rotory engine- designed by GM
#9 Turbo Diesel in a pickup- Ford
#10 sidecurtain airbag systems- Ford again-copied by everyone

Now as for the last 5 years;
#1 I'll back up 8 years for this one, The directing of impact forces around the passenger compartment in a head on crash- GM
#2 Engine Cylinder control for better mpg- Chrysler
#3 Rear steering for parking trucks-GM
#4 first gps/multi disc CD player system with a single screen and memory bank to locate and return thru cell phone directions-Ford
#5 First "smart" exhaust system, -Ford
#6 First multi varible valve timing Ford also sold to honda, toyota and nissan
#7 First keyless start in the past decade- Chrysler
#8 First electronic stability control for trucks- Ford
#9 First ever Hybrid vehicle to be an option for mass production- Ford Escape. Yes, it was first, but the media never mentioned it because toyota who they were in love with waited until toyota was ready for the mini traffic jams production. Of course the media never admitted that Ford designed the hybrid system and thru the "global" enviromental automotivee group shared it with Toyota. Look for the made by Ford stamp on that pirus energy pack.
#10 first Naturally Asperated V6 to top 300 net horsepower and achieve over 30 mpg- GM

Should I go on?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
True. Now, find me a V6 3.8l twin turbo, AWD American car that did it. (You wont find an American car under 3.5 liters making the same power Japanese and European cars make). They relied too much on displacement. Now they're adding forced induction .

While I respect these cars, I have to say they always rely on excessive engine sizes. That's what always turned me off from these cars.

I had a 3.0 liter Supra turbo that used to kick my friend's Grand National 3.8 liter V6 with many mods, on the track, it wasn't fun anymore. Granted I loved his car, and the aftermarket support if had, but that car could not handle or stop for crap. It had the gusto in the straight line, but that's not all a car should do. It has to turn, take corners, stop, and have balance.

Again, I'm a car guy, and give credit when and where it's due.

Oh by the way, Kenny....sold his GN for a Twin Turbo Z. Hasn't looked back. He owns a Nissan GT-R now btw (runs high 10s, and driven to work the next day). (Videos are on YouTube).

THEN:

Show me 10 recent innovations Domestic car makers have come up within the last 5 years, that other car makers in the world have followed.

I'm waiting...you know what.

Give me 5, and it's a wrap.

Your buddies GN must have not been moded very much to only run 10's. As for your car, you know it was not even a 12 second car stock. Unless another quicker car was pushing it. As for twin turbo Z's, I've beat those pos's so often with my daily driven 78 Grand Prix with a mild 400 that it's ashame people think the twin turbo z's are fast. They are not unless 7k + is spent on them and you know it. My GOP only ran 13.00 at 127 mph.

As for a 4x4,(awd as you called it) why? they don't drive or handle any better, so what size super swampers you putting on it? And you say your buddies GN wouldn't handle? That's ironic considering the only car built when they were that would out corner them was a Trans Am and Corvette.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 AM

9,214 posts, read 10,980,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
so, are you legimately asking a question here, or is this just another domestic bashing thread?

Mike
My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering if OP is actually old enough to buy a car anyway.

easy answer: NO, ALL AMERICAN CARS SUCK. GO BUY A TOYOTA UA EXPRESS.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 AM

24,453 posts, read 33,133,882 times
Quote:
[b]

A large engine does have some advantages...

They make lots of torque so you don't need to rev them to 7,000 rpm to accelerate fast.

Because they don't need to rev to very high rpm's, they (in general) last a long time before a rebuild is needed.

Many of them, while capable of 13-second 1/4 miles, had a smooth idle and were tractable driving on the street. A few examples would be the 440 Mopar and 428 Ford. They had relatively mild cams and modest carburetion for a smooth idle, but with 440-480 lbs-ft of torque they gave excellent acceleration.

They certainly weren't excessive to many gear heads. It's not uncommon for 383 Mopar engines to be bored out to 438 cu-in or even 472 cu-in. And 440s bored out to over 480 cu-in.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,839,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
so, are you legimately asking a question here, or is this just another domestic bashing thread?

Mike
Thats the way I'm reading it!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,399,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
If I listed all the innovations from the US car companies, the book would be as thick as Webster's dictionary. So what new idea has the japanese EVER had no one before them had?
Many of the technologies you tried to credit American Engineers with, are actually German.

Americans did not invent variable valve timing. Germans did. The downside for them at the time, was loss of torque, so they abandonned it. They did not want to compromise it at the time.

The Japanese further developed it, and perfected it. They put them in all sorts of 1.6-2.0 liter motors (late 80s, early 90s), things neither Germans nor Americans did in regular cars.

Let's be real. The Japanese may not have invented a lot, but they sure know how to perfect them. You can't refute that either.

Quote:
Intercoolers, first on Detroit made vehicles. #1
#2 first use of a turbo on a factory engine- Packard. (The Swiss during WWI, invented turbocharging, so Packard can't get full credit. That's out the window. If they did not invent it, omit it.)
#3 Hemi design cylinder head. -Desoto
#4 4 valves per cylinder- Desoto (Crystal Meth must be in your blood)
#5 airbags-Ford (Are you on crack? . Mercedes Benz did it buddy, Check your facts. Ford was first to use them in back seats..but invented it....NO!!!!)
#6 first supercharged production vehicle- Duesenburg, followed by Ford for Mercury (Nope!! It was invented by American brothers, but used first in Mercedes Benz...)

#7 Seatbelts (I will research that, and get back to you. I doubt it)
#8 Rotory engine- designed by GM (WANKEL...He was German)
#9 Turbo Diesel in a pickup- Ford (Germans, not Americans)
#10 sidecurtain airbag systems- Ford again-copied by everyone (BS)

Now as for the last 5 years;
#1 I'll back up 8 years for this one, The directing of impact forces around the passenger compartment in a head on crash- GM
#2 Engine Cylinder control for better mpg- Chrysler (If they built cars with better MPGs to begin with, they wouldn't be trying to chase their tails with that one).
#3 Rear steering for parking trucks-GM (A Japanese invention, HICAS anyone? ) It was already available, just not on trucks. I don't call it invention, just using a technology for a different platform. That's all.
#4 first gps/multi disc CD player system with a single screen and memory bank to locate and return thru cell phone directions-Ford
#5 First "smart" exhaust system, -Ford
#6 First multi varible valve timing Ford also sold to honda, toyota and nissan (Get your facts straight. Porsche did it, before the Japanese perfected it).
#7 First keyless start in the past decade- Chrysler (?????, nuts.)
#8 First electronic stability control for trucks- Ford
#9 First ever Hybrid vehicle to be an option for mass production- Ford Escape. Yes, it was first, but the media never mentioned it because toyota who they were in love with waited until toyota was ready for the mini traffic jams production. Of course the media never admitted that Ford designed the hybrid system and thru the "global" enviromental automotivee group shared it with Toyota. Look for the made by Ford stamp on that pirus energy pack. (B.S.)
#10 first Naturally Asperated V6 to top 300 net horsepower and achieve over 30 mpg- GM (Again, you're blowing smoke out you tail. HP per liter, no American company ever did 100hp/liter on a naturally aspirated engine with a 4 cylinder. They don't know how to. Everything is displacement, displacement, when we all know HP is in the head design. You don't hear any import changing heads (many will port and change cams, but no changing of the head like domestics do.
Domestics have relied on displacement for too long. Again, I love torque, but Americans suck at making HP without boring and stroking).

Should I go on?
Please go on...cause you're not 100% acurate with your facts. No disrespect, but you are full of ****, my friend.

If people were to believe everything you said, and if they were true, American Automakers would be far ahead. They always lag behind, except it displacement .

Quote:
Your buddies GN must have not been moded very much to only run 10's. As for your car, you know it was not even a 12 second car stock. Unless another quicker car was pushing it. As for twin turbo Z's, I've beat those pos's so often with my daily driven 78 Grand Prix with a mild 400 that it's ashame people think the twin turbo z's are fast. They are not unless 7k + is spent on them and you know it. My GOP only ran 13.00 at 127 mph.

As for a 4x4,(awd as you called it) why? they don't drive or handle any better, so what size super swampers you putting on it? And you say your buddies GN wouldn't handle? That's ironic considering the only car built when they were that would out corner them was a Trans Am and Corvette.

Again, you're too emotionally connected to be logical. My friend's GN was plenty fast. He had Duttweiler parts, etc. I respect the car for what it was. But the car was only good for one purpose, straight line 1/4 mile accelerations.

And trying to run top end on the Turnpike back then, we left him in the back, although he was faster in the 1/4 mile.

Again, my 92 Supra ran 11s in the 1/4 at Englishtown. I have no reason to lie. I never said it was stock. Almost all of my cars have had mods one way or another. If you ever heard of Performance Factory in NY, you would know plenty of Supras and other imports were in the 10s, 9s back then. Don't embarass yourself. Do some research. I was a client, and friend of a guy named Vinny Ten. Do a google on him. He's a legend in import racing circles.

Again, I respect and appreciate any fast car, but I can't stand the arrogance and ignorance from many domestic car guys. (not speaking of you specifically). But I take pleasure in putting a beatdown on these guys, from time to time. Nothing better than a domestic guy going home embarrassed, ego bruised.

If I were close minded, I would hang with import car guys only, which is shallow. A car guy is a car guy. I don't care what you like, but I will shut down an arrogant prick at will.

Anyways, I have an IS300 with a 2JZ swap that should be done in a few months. Looking at 700~750WHP.

If you don't believe me, keep in touch, and DM me, I'll send you videos and data, when it's all said and done.

Hey, we may be at the same track one day. Make sure to keep your eyes on the Christmas light!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive