U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,661,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'd feel less upset about it if it had gone to Canada.
Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Yeah it sucks.

It won't have the Italian build quality in Mexico. Tired of everything being built in Mexico.
Hey one plus is that with all these plants opening in Mexico maybe some of the illegals will go back home!
People working there are skilled workers, compared to the ones jumping our borders, believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
It's certainly ironic.

There are no "American cars" anymore. Your American cars are made in Mexico, Canada, and even China. Chevy sold the Subaru Forrester with a bowtie on it in China. Half the current Chevys and Buicks are based on the entirely German-designed Opel Insignia. Meanwhile, your BMW, Nissan, Infiniti, Toyota, Lexus, and even Mitsubishis might be made right here at home.

To buy a car based on it's country of origin is dumb. You should buy a car based on your need for the features it provides. You should learn to maintain it yourself and you should pay it off.

Which is better for the American economy? Consumer whores buying cars they don't need with money they don't have? Or paying off their debts, taking better care of what they have, and using the money they save to start their own business, go back to school, save for a rainy day?

All the same, the 500 sure is tempting. I'd still rock "El 500 Abarth doble ese, vato."
Great post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
On principle, I would NEVER buy a Chrysler!!! EVER!! They just ripped off the tax payers and laughed their way all the way to Mexico... LITERALLY!
LOL..Smart move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
i have to really wander if the Fiat will sell when they did not inthe past. may see Fiat pullout like the rest on chrysler.
I think so too. Good observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 PM

3,021 posts, read 2,785,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
True, however the UAW and other union leaders regularly donate the majority of their political cash to the Democratic party.

And this is in spite of the fact half the workers disapprove of these "donations". Believe me, when I was employeed at a uaw rep'ed plant, I would go round after round with the union leadership (if their position title was used as opposed to their lack of real leadership!!) and so far, out of EVERY political related issue I argued with them, I was proven right time after time to the point a couple of officals in the union actualy looked me up to say sorry, and they were wrong. No doubt my writing it down for them to read after events happened helped refresh the memories. My big concern with Chrysler is the fact the uaw owns/ was given so much of the ownership shares, yet look where they are agreeing to be shipping the jobs. And idiots on the line still think the uaw cares about them.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 PM

3,021 posts, read 2,785,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Guys, Chrysler isnt' "going to mexico."

This is the plant that for the last decade has built PT Cruisers and Journeys. My PT was a great quality car, with no defects, squeaks, rattles or problems in the 5 years I owned it.

And my last Fiats were quite reliable:

You know what? I'm pretty damn tiresd of a bunch of ignorant pissants that think that it's a valuable goal to be insulting and downright rude about cars that simply aren't their favorites. I've never seen why, other than the anonymity of the internet, it's become a valuable goal to be idiotic, closed minded, insulting and rude about a brand or model you don't own. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but stop being friggin' rude, even if there's no immediate threat of being punched in the crotch.

the only import I've ever owned is a fiat like the one in your picture! Ironicly, I put a built 318 Mopar engine in it with a T-5 5 speed, and narrowed 8 3/4" Mopar rearend! Made a fast little hot rod. Just never was compfortible in the thing, with the stock overhead cammer 4 popper or the 318

Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,323,742 times
I would MUCH rather have a car built in Mexico than by the UAW. Fiat has never been known for reliability, but where it is made DOES make a difference. The Yugo was a Fiat built under license in Yugoslavia, and it was actually worse that the Italian Fiats!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:32 PM

688 posts, read 653,268 times
I am a loyal Chrysler customer, BUT I have had enough with their cars being built in other countries. With all the job losses, who the hell will be able to buy a 30K new car ?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,010,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I am a loyal Chrysler customer, BUT I have had enough with their cars being built in other countries. With all the job losses, who the hell will be able to buy a 30K new car ?
Gee, kinda makes me feel good trading my Dodge Ram for a Toyota Tundra built in the USA with no bail out money.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 AM

19,126 posts, read 11,018,048 times
I am not trying to run anyone down, but the Fiats of the past were plain junk. They rusted easy, fell apart fast, and had thin body steel that would dent if you looked at it too hard. The clear plastic screws were a joke, which held in light lenses.That 850 spider used pointed bolts to hold in the rad, and were aimed at the gas tank. The spare tire was behind the passanger seat.The welds were inferior, the engines were inferior to anything else on the road at the time, anything else.

IMO all they were good for was welding up the doors water tight and calling it a bird bath.I worked in a independant shop, right next to a Fiat dealer, and we got these cars to fix in cardboard boxs every day.No sooner would one failed part be replaced, and another would break often before you could get the car test driven and or even out the door into the lot. If these are as bad as that I just see no point. I recall replacing a clutch on a 124, and once I did the cable broke, I put in a new cable and then the pedal broke off the welds, and when I installed another pedal assembly the support failed.

I recall another in for state inspection, and needing ALL new exhaust which the customer wanted replaced, that I told him NO. 'No matter what you do this car is junk, I will never pass it nor will anyone else with big rust holes in the floor.'

He insisted I install a new Abarth System, and right to the cracked exhaust manifold which was common. That had to be replaced too, and when I was done the pile of rusty flakes on the floor was impressive. Then the customer came back and told me I made his car rust! ;D

He began to demand a sticker again, and I simply had to refuse. No matter what, means no matter what, and he wasted every red cent of his money. There was nothing to be done but maybe strip that car of any usefull parts, and it most certainly didn't merit any new manifolds or custom exhaust system.

And oh I had and still have the habit to assist for free stranded motorists, but I recall the day a Fiat flew by me in a old at the time Volvo 122, and I laughed out loud. My wife of the time, asked why and I told her that fast cute buggy that just blew my doors would appear soon enough again. She mocked my words telling me it was a new upto date sports car, and I laughed again. In about 15 minutes I saw smoke on the horizion, and told her see!

We were still to far to see any car, and she told me 'It's a factory or something." NOPE it's that car and sure enough it was and I just drove on by. Then she was confused. Asked me why i didn't stop and I told her thar's no point. FIAT means Fix it Again Today and Fix It Again Tomorrow.

That car made MGA, MGB, and every Triumph there was look great.

I have 0 interest is seeing any new Fiat, unless some bean counter got it right, and for that the proof will have to be in the pudding. I never owned one, but I serviced hundreds of them.

Never let so much as a tennis ball hit one as that will dent if for sure. Don't lean on it that will make a really big dent. In fact if anyone buys one, and it actually makes it home, park it forever more to just look at. Call it green.

on edit: And don't tell me you bought one, because i will laugh at you!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM

10,361 posts, read 6,253,016 times
So I take it that no-one contributing to this thread has actually tried out a Fiat 500.

Well I have and I ordered one for Mrs J last week. I don't suffer from the prejudices demonstrated by others on this thread. They are well built and quite desirable, as the sales figures in Europe have shown. The latest versions ride far better than the ones that first came out with the 2008 launch.

Apart from the same name and a passing resemblance to the original 500 there's no comparison, as shown in this short video, which also demonstrates the new TwinAir engined version which I have ordered.

Fiat 500 meets its ancestor video - Autocar.co.uk (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/fiat-500-vs-fiat-500-video-comparison/ - broken link)

Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM

452 posts, read 443,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Yeah it sucks.

It won't have the Italian build quality in Mexico. Tired of everything being built in Mexico.
Hey one plus is that with all these plants opening in Mexico maybe some of the illegals will go back home!
Why do you think the Italian version would be better built than a Mexico-built version? No Italian car sold in the US today has a reputation for reliability.

These are the same Italians that brought us dismal Fiats before people quit buying them. Ford Fusions are built in Mexico and they are very good.

My guess about the decision to build is Mexico is that Chrysler simply couldn't afford to build it with UAW labor. If they had a non-union plant in Tennessee, Ohio, Alabama etc. they could afford to build it in the US.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM

10,361 posts, read 6,253,016 times
Just to inform you, the European Fiat 500s, together with the Ford Ka which shares the floorpan are both made in the same factory in Poland, and quality and reliability have been fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive