Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,333,701 times

Advertisements

Every person who gets a job down there isn't coming here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
[quote=Mac_Muz;15673289] Asked me why i didn't stop and I told her thar's no point. FIAT means Fix it Again Today and Fix It Again Tomorrow.

That car made MGA, MGB, and every Triumph there was look great.[/uote]

Did you see the one I posted? Third one I owned. Reliable, beautiful, fun.

Quote:
I have 0 interest is seeing any new Fiat, unless some bean counter got it right, and for that the proof will have to be in the pudding. I never owned one, but I serviced hundreds of them.
Are you this ignorant in real life, or do you just play an ignorant tosser on the internet? Fiats have been selling well in Europe for years and haveg a great reputation these days. The 500 has been great, the Panda and others have been great, as well.

I have a REAL problem with this retarded "I was a mechanic and saw many of them" attitude. As a mechanic, you'll not ever SEE the reliable ones, as no one needs to fix one that isn't broke. So by default, you'll ONLY see broken examples. How many in total did you see? How many in total were made? You really think your experience covers even a small minority of them?

Quote:
Never let so much as a tennis ball hit one as that will dent if for sure. Don't lean on it that will make a really big dent. In fact if anyone buys one, and it actually makes it home, park it forever more to just look at. Call it green.
Not true. Sorry, gonna call you out on this absolute stupidity. They actually didn't dent easy at all. Neither do the new ones.

Quote:
on edit: And don't tell me you bought one, because i will laugh at you!
And I'll call you a moron if you do.

Why is it such a valuable goal to be a closed minded twit about cars? Sorry, HATE that attitude. It's far beyond simply having a preference for something else (which is fine), and well into the automotive version of ignorant racism.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
So I take it that no-one contributing to this thread has actually tried out a Fiat 500.

Well I have and I ordered one for Mrs J last week. I don't suffer from the prejudices demonstrated by others on this thread. They are well built and quite desirable, as the sales figures in Europe have shown. The latest versions ride far better than the ones that first came out with the 2008 launch.

Apart from the same name and a passing resemblance to the original 500 there's no comparison, as shown in this short video, which also demonstrates the new TwinAir engined version which I have ordered.

Fiat 500 meets its ancestor video - Autocar.co.uk (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/fiat-500-vs-fiat-500-video-comparison/ - broken link)
You are a gambler. The Fiat 500 may be an impressive small car. But it is unproven.

Do you think Fiat withdrew from the US market decades ago because of prejudice? No. They withdrew because sales dropped. Fiat owners grew tired of broken timing chains on their 124/128 sedans. They got tired of calling a tow truck to bring their X 1/9 home. They got tired of engines that ran poorly when emission controls were added to the engines.

I assume Fiats today are much better than the cars of 30 years ago. But at a broad brush level Italian made cars have not done well in the US in spite of their sometimes great design and rich personality. That includes Ferrari and other exotics.

I hope the new 500 is a good car. I don't care that it is made in Mexico. I have somewhat more confidence in Mexican labor than I do in Italian labor.

But I wouldn't buy one in the first production year.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
I wonder how many people slamming FIAT in this thread just absolutely drool over Ferrari's, Maserati's and Alfa-Romeo's?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,983,086 times
The number one reason the 500 will be built in Mexico?

It's a small car.

Small cars have small profits (if they have a profit at all, many don't).
Chrysler can earn (profit) up to about $5000 making and selling a full size RAM pickup or larger SUV's like the Grand Cherokee. So they can be made wherever, even with far more expensive union labor. The US auto makers can only make a profit of a few hundred dollars on a small car. So by building it in Mexico they can try to preserve this margin. Even with non-union Mexican labor they will be lucky to profit a few hundred per car.

Its entirely the profit margin per unit driving where Chrysler (and all automakers) is going to build something.

It's also the reason for some of the really lousy little cars that have come from the Big 3 in the last couple of decades. Low profit margin so low interest.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:27 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Shame the UAW isn't more competitive......
he UAW is poart owner of the compoany thanks to Oabma and his looking out for them.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM

441 posts, read 1,321,877 times
Isn't its engine built in US and then transported to Mexico for assembly?

Funny to read those "Dey took our jewbs" comments. You want globalization, free market and competition when it favours you. But when it works against you, suddenly people become overly protectionist and anti-free market. How it's called, a hypocrisy?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
So I take it that no-one contributing to this thread has actually tried out a Fiat 500.

Well I have and I ordered one for Mrs J last week. I don't suffer from the prejudices demonstrated by others on this thread. They are well built and quite desirable, as the sales figures in Europe have shown. The latest versions ride far better than the ones that first came out with the 2008
Actually, I have ridden in a 2006 FIAT 500 imported by a collector. A lot of my friends own Fiat 500s and other microcars.

I think that the vehicle is going to be a real bust. A decently loaded up FIAT 500 will be priced at or around $18k. And they will require PREMIUM fuel.

Personally, I would take both the Nissan Versa or a Toyota Yaris. When I buy a small car, I am looking for two things - reliability and fuel economy.

Now if I could get a Peugeot 206 ...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,766,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Nice to see our tax dollars go towards stimulating the Mexican economy.

Chrysler pledges $550M to build Fiat 500 in Mexico - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100208/ap_on_bi_ge/lt_mexico_chrysler - broken link)

This really sucks. I really had wanted this car to succeed here (and I still think it has a decent shot), but now that I've read this I sincerely hope the thing flops.

Mike
Fix It Again Tonito

Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 AM

16,544 posts, read 17,306,171 times
Yes I am taking a bit of a gamble that the TwinAir engine behaves itself, but I love to live life on the ragged edge!

I tried the four cylinder engine and it did what it's supposed to do in a way that normal four cylinder engines do their job. The TwinAir, as has been mentioned in every roadtest and customer feedback, puts a smile on your face and is a very pleasant match to the car especially with the smooth and peppy power delivery. Sometimes you need to do something other than the safe bet- we already have one Toyota among our three.

People are quick to point out the problens with Fiats all those years ago, and I would suggest that they were not alone in these matters, and car reliability has generally moved on in that time.

I hope that the Mexican built Fiats do justice to the car and that if this kind of car fits into your lifestyle then give it a go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram