Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:15 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times

Advertisements

Nice to see our tax dollars go towards stimulating the Mexican economy.

Chrysler pledges $550M to build Fiat 500 in Mexico - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100208/ap_on_bi_ge/lt_mexico_chrysler - broken link)

This really sucks. I really had wanted this car to succeed here (and I still think it has a decent shot), but now that I've read this I sincerely hope the thing flops.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 05:31 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Chrysler pledges $550M to build Fiat 500 in Mexico - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100208/ap_on_bi_ge/lt_mexico_chrysler - broken link)

This really sucks. I really had wanted this car to succeed here (and I still think it has a decent shot), but now that I've read this I sincerely hope the thing flops.

Mike
Guess Mexico will finally have a real replacement to the VW bug they built for so many decades. I'd hoped they would have just retooled an American plant to build this bug but they went with the cheap labor. I'd feel less upset about it if it had gone to Canada.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
I would have been OK with it had they kept building it wherever it is built now (Italy?) and then just imported it. That would make sense. But this is just a slap in the face.

Mike

Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Yeah it sucks.

It won't have the Italian build quality in Mexico. Tired of everything being built in Mexico.
Hey one plus is that with all these plants opening in Mexico maybe some of the illegals will go back home!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I wish someone would make a comprehensive list of cars and tell people where it is built and then sticky it forever so that we have a good idea of what is American made...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 PM

211 posts, read 640,980 times
It's certainly ironic.

There are no "American cars" anymore. Your American cars are made in Mexico, Canada, and even China. Chevy sold the Subaru Forrester with a bowtie on it in China. Half the current Chevys and Buicks are based on the entirely German-designed Opel Insignia. Meanwhile, your BMW, Nissan, Infiniti, Toyota, Lexus, and even Mitsubishis might be made right here at home.

To buy a car based on it's country of origin is dumb. You should buy a car based on your need for the features it provides. You should learn to maintain it yourself and you should pay it off.

Which is better for the American economy? Consumer whores buying cars they don't need with money they don't have? Or paying off their debts, taking better care of what they have, and using the money they save to start their own business, go back to school, save for a rainy day?

All the same, the 500 sure is tempting. I'd still rock "El 500 Abarth doble ese, vato."

Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:

Mike
Shame the UAW isn't more competitive......

Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:

Mike
Is this Fiat somehow a better car than the ones of the 70's and 80's?

I was a tech back then and other techs and I called this as Fix it again today, and Fix it again tomorrow. Basicly no one could fix them, since they were build very shoddy.

An example might be you install and new cluch, go to test it and the cable would break, install a new cable and weld at the pivot would break from the pedal.

Yet another Fiat was so rusty I told the owner i didn't want to do any work to the car. He wanted a fancy stainless steel exhaust, and insisted I install it. I tiold no matter what he did I would never pass the car for state inspection dur to major rust on the body and in the floor.

Still he insisted, and I had him sign a waiver, and pay 1/2 the labor and all the parts up front.

When the car was done, by chance the customer walked in to see where in the process I was. The first thing he said was "You made my car rust!" as there was a big pile of red flakes under the car.

I hope these will be a better car than those of the day, but I have serious doubts.

Then Chrystler has no bee's wax with tax payer monies and Mexico period.

How many times does Chrystler need to be bailed out, because I think this is time 5 or maybe 6.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
On principle, I would NEVER buy a Chrysler!!! EVER!! They just ripped off the tax payers and laughed their way all the way to Mexico... LITERALLY!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
I can see why Chyrsler is going to Mexico.....

"Chrysler says the Mexican government has provided a $400 million incentive package for the project, the majority of it as loans."

The Mexican Gov't is buying the jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram