Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times

Advertisements

Always been curious as to why don't auto makers put an external spin on filter on an automatic transmission. Why design something that has to be taken apart to change the filter. I'm sure there's a minor cost factor but if changing a trans filter was as easy as changing the engine filter we'd all do it much much more frequently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
The original was design by oldsmobile for the original hydromatic. Its really a different type of filter ;but I am no engineer.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
It's the same reason most trans pans don't have a drain plug.

There's always going to be a certain amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan. Forcing you to remove the pan ensures that sludge will be cleaned out. Most even have a magnet inside the pan to help collect any metal in the fluid.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
It's the same reason most trans pans don't have a drain plug.

There's always going to be a certain amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan. Forcing you to remove the pan ensures that sludge will be cleaned out. Most even have a magnet inside the pan to help collect any metal in the fluid.
But the same could be said of the engine...if you've ever dropped the oil pan off an engine you'll find sludge,metallic particles etc, engine oil pan drain plugs usually have a magnet in them as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,904,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
But the same could be said of the engine...if you've ever dropped the oil pan off an engine you'll find sludge,metallic particles etc, engine oil pan drain plugs usually have a magnet in them as well.
That's true. I am surprised people don't remove and clean their engine oil pan more often. Well on some cars it is very simple, but on others can be a pain in the rear.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
My theory on this topic is that the engineers don't want Joe Schmo getting under his car and accidentally draining the tranny fluid instead of the oil. There is no good reason for not having at least just a drain plug on the pan. MANY manufacturers do not have a drain plug on the pan but some do. It is also a common modification for experienced DIY'ers.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
That's true. I am surprised people don't remove and clean their engine oil pan more often. Well on some cars it is very simple, but on others can be a pain in the rear.

Rarely is this a simple procedure...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Quote:
LOL I've pulled way more oil pans than I want to think about. The difference is, on most engines there's usually a half a pint of oil still in the pan after the oil has stopped draining. Not sure why. Maybe it's to trap and hold the sludge buildup where in a trans pans there isn't enough clearance.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
Quote:
Always been curious as to why don't auto makers put an external spin on filter on an automatic transmission. Why design something that has to be taken apart to change the filter. I'm sure there's a minor cost factor but if changing a trans filter was as easy as changing the engine filter we'd all do it much much more frequently.

Actually the Saturn S series vehicles used a spin-on type filter for the tranny fluid -----also had a drain plug in the bottom of the pan.

Some Ford products incorporate drain plugs but then bury the filter in the tranny to the point where it's a total tranny tear-down to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive