Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,508,579 times

Advertisements

So well all know about Toyota recalling millions of vehicles. Whether it be sticky gas pedals, floor mats, brakes, power steering or whatever this is a real blemish on Toyota's once squeaky clean reputation

Then there are the big 3 American auto makers. GM and Chrysler took gov't bailouts while Ford is doing things on its own, and they seem to be turning things around

Both Ford and GM are manufacturing cars people like and actually want to buy (the redeisnged Ford Fusion, redesigned Chevy Malibu, Ford Taurus, the Camaro, Mustang, Ford Edge, Chevy Equinox, and the soon to be release Chevy Cruize)

Chrysler is cranking out the same cars they have been making since 2005 with design changes coming soon. Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, no major changes since 05, Dodge Ram redesigned for 2010, reintroducing the Challenger in 2008, among others.

With all these good things going on with the US auto makers, do you think they will see a considerable rise in sales, or will Nissan and Honda pick up the slack for Toyota's lost sales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
First of all the poor economy overhangs everything. I do not see how the auto business as a whole, improves meaningfully over the next few years.

Cars/trucks will of course be bought, so the manufacturers are fighting for market share.

I think Ford will continue to gain market share. Ford will take share from all brands except the luxury imports since Ford has nothing that appeals to a Lexus or Mercedes buyer. GM will win some and lose some. They still have no distinctive small cars. No one who would normally buy a Honda Civic will choose a Cobalt instead.

Not one good thing is happening at Chysler. They will lose share in all of their markets, including Jeep, their best brand. No one will trust their updated models because Chrysler has 20 years of bad history.

Toyota will be stung - and some of their buyers will choose Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, Ford, and Nissan instead.

I don't think Honda will be a big winner per se. Many of their current vehicles are not special - the Pilot for example. The CRV is very good but is underpowered compared to others with equivalent fuel economy (RAV4 V6 especially). Honda doesn't have a sports car in the lineup anymore.

I think Subaru and Hyundai are on a roll and it will continue.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM

232 posts, read 628,946 times
Yeah, Hyundai will probably pick-up whatever slack Toyota leave. Chrysler might bring this to the US to compete with Ford Transit Connects

If it comes as a turbo diesel with 6speed manual and Ford is still trying to push gas motors with a 4speed auto on people wanting transit like vehicles, then I may just get that Fiat/Dodge

Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,442,197 times
I would buy a Mustang, F150, Taurus, Edge, Escape and almost everything Ford is putting out. They look good and the build quality is solid. Very strong vehicles. GM and Chrysler are making tin cans. The new Malibu may look ok, but they are very flimsy and anyone that has any knowledge on what to look for in the build of a car would see that. Honda and Nissan are continuing to grow in sales and I think they may take over the Toyota slot. They have a good track record and like it or not they don't take bail outs from us.
I predict Honda and Ford being the highest sellers this year and Nissan in close second. I see GM slowly make a recovery, but they better get their trucks back on track if they want to compete with the Ram and the F series.

Just my opinion on it. I'm no pro

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,618,681 times
What I hope is that when this whole thing blows over....Toyota will cut their prices in order get their customers back. If that happens, I'll be down at the Toyota dealer with my checkbook...even though I don't really need any new vehicles right now...

Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I would buy a Mustang, F150, Taurus, Edge, Escape and almost everything Ford is putting out. They look good and the build quality is solid. Very strong vehicles. GM and Chrysler are making tin cans. The new Malibu may look ok, but they are very flimsy and anyone that has any knowledge on what to look for in the build of a car would see that. Honda and Nissan are continuing to grow in sales and I think they may take over the Toyota slot. They have a good track record and like it or not they don't take bail outs from us.
I predict Honda and Ford being the highest sellers this year and Nissan in close second. I see GM slowly make a recovery, but they better get their trucks back on track if they want to compete with the Ram and the F series.

Just my opinion on it. I'm no pro
The new Malibu is very stylish, the Buick LaCrosse is nice too.

I have always had a personal preference for Chrysler myself. If I had the money I would go out and buy a new Dodge Challenger SRT-8. It would be worth the $46k to have that car

Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,021,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

I have always had a personal preference for Chrysler myself. If I had the money I would go out and buy a new Dodge Challenger SRT-8. It would be worth the $46k to have that car
'stylish' is very low on my list of reasons to buy a car. But, considering that you want a Chrysler product, you must not care much about engineering, build quality and reliability.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
'stylish' is very low on my list of reasons to buy a car. But, considering that you want a Chrysler product, you must not care much about engineering, build quality and reliability.
I do care about all those things. I own a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, the build quality is poor but the engineering and reliability are great. (Mine had the catalytic converter problem but thats because the previous owner didnt maintain it at all) I was lucky my car had a warranty and I didnt pay for the new motor

The interior seems cheap, with lots of hard plastic, and it feels flimsy and slapped together. Otherwise its an awesome car

I am aware of Chrysler's issues. They were a lot better in the 1980s when Lee Iacocca was the CEO.

In 1988 my parents purchased a 1982 Chrysler LeBaron. 9 years, 100k miles, a drive to Florida, and a blown head gasket later the car died at age 15 with 175k on the odometer!

In 1999 my parents purchased a 1988 Dodge Aries for $400, driven well over 100 miles a day due to my dads commute to work at the time. Ran like a champ until my dad was involved in an accident on I-4 in Orlando a year later totaling the car

Last edited by DavieJ89; 02-25-2010 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: change words

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,343,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
The new Malibu may look ok, but they are very flimsy and anyone that has any knowledge on what to look for in the build of a car would see that.
JC, I don't know what your beef is with the Malibu, but I personally compared the Malibu to the Civic and Accord at the Chicago Auto Show and came out halfway impressed with the Malibu, while slightly underwhelmed with the Civic and Accord considering how much they are hyped up. The Chevy and both vehicles from Honda have about the same quality of plastic inside (read: not soft to the touch, but thick enough that it won't rattle). Build quality is also similar, except the doors on both Hondas felt less substantial and sounded cheaper when closed. The door handles on all Hondas I sat in except the Crosstour were kind of flimsy as well. The Crosstour was the only mainstream Honda that had fairly nice materials inside; my opinion still stands that Honda threw all its money into Acura interiors and left nothing over for the Honda brand.

The Malibu's wrap-around cockpit felt sportier and didn't have a twiggy looking shifter like the Civic has. The panel gaps were also way tighter in the Malibu. You can easily see it in pictures.

Last edited by mustang84; 02-26-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,257,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

YEP !!! I agree. The edge is the Mustang is built here and the challenger and camaro isn't. That was stupid on both gm and chryslers part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion