U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,975,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I meant drag racing with an automatic but manually shifting it. Usually, the best times are done with manual shifting an automatic. And, contrary to what you claim, it's not just stomping on the accelerator and let the car do the rest. The driver has to upshift at the best point. If he shifts too early, it will hurt his 1/4 mile time and if he upshifts too late it will also hurt the 1/4 mile time, not to mention the danger over overrevving the engine.
And what exact skill does it take to manually shift an automatic? Part from knowing your car, it doesn't take none part from that. What you're saying is that the skills needed are reaction and an ear (if you know your car)or eyes to keep a look on the tacho, if you're told what rpm to shift at.

Quote:
That is pretty much an opinion. There are many people who consider their automatic-equipped car as a real driving experience.
That's not what I said though, is it? Read it over.

Quote:
Maybe not, but neither was a Peugeot VS a muscle car.
That was a comparison, it might just as well have been a Manual and Automatic of the same brand, and engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM

22,370 posts, read 27,518,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
And what exact skill does it take to manually shift an automatic? Part from knowing your car, it doesn't take none part from that. What you're saying is that the skills needed are reaction and an ear (if you know your car)or eyes to keep a look on the tacho, if you're told what rpm to shift at.
You have to shift at the exact right time with an automatic when drag racing to get the best time. In other words, some can manually shift an automatic better than others can. Therefore, some skill is involved.

Quote:
That's not what I said though, is it? Read it over.
I did read it over. I will stick by what I said... it is your opinion.

Quote:
That was a comparison, it might just as well have been a Manual and Automatic of the same brand, and engine.
A comparison of two completely different cars. Like you said, a manual and an automatic of the same brand (make and model) would have been a better comparison.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,421,368 times
automatic transmissions are built for women.

( and my opinion doesn't change whether that car is driven on a freeway, city street, or drag strip )

Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
A comparison of two completely different cars. Like you said, a manual and an automatic of the same brand (make and model) would have been a better comparison.
The result would've been identical.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
automatic transmissions are built for women.

( and my opinion doesn't change whether that car is driven on a freeway, city street, or drag strip )
Hopefully, you are joking.

That would mean only women should drive my '76 Cadillac Limousine, my '69 Fleetwood Brougham, my '95 Lincoln Town Car and my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP 383.

What about women who drive a car with a manual transmission? Are they really men?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
The result would've been identical.
How so?
Did you know that the Porsche accelerates faster with an automatic than with a manual? (Not that I'd want a Porsche; I don't.)

Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,222,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

And here's another one....with a manual you can run as big of a cam as you want and not worry about having to pick the right stall converter size for the cam....not usually a big issue but nice to know if one weekend I decided I want to swap out the stock cam for a bigger cam and I have a manual trans. On an auto you'd be pulling the trans for a converter swap.

What kind of trans was this that gave you the option of starting off in 2nd?

Yeah, those 2 hours or less cam swaps on friday afternoons and sunday afternoons sure kept a guy busy! But the friday night and saturday night profits were worth it!!!
Like you said, the 4 speed cars were alot less work as the 4500 stall convertors were not anygood during the week driving back and forth to work.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
How so?
Did you know that the Porsche accelerates faster with an automatic than with a manual? (Not that I'd want a Porsche; I don't.)
Porshce doesn't come as a reg Auto, it has a double clutch transmission, which in essence works as two manual boxes, though I'm sure you know that.

I've said several times already, that I would consider this type of configuration in certain cars.

The reason it accelerates faster is the lightning reaction in the DSG box, something that's possible because it's based off a manual transmission.

I haven't personally driven any 911s, but based off of what Autojournalists say, it seems like the manual option still delivers more of a thrilling ride.

Personally I'd get a manual in that car for the safety feature of it.

Again though, that is an essentially manual transmission (well... two) made to work automatically, not the opposite.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Porshce doesn't come as a reg Auto, it has a double clutch transmission, which in essence works as two manual boxes, though I'm sure you know that.
No, I didn't know that. I'm not familiar with Porsches. I read about the automatic being faster than the manual in Automobile magazine.

Quote:
I've said several times already, that I would consider this type of configuration in certain cars.

The reason it accelerates faster is the lightning reaction in the DSG box, something that's possible because it's based off a manual transmission.

I haven't personally driven any 911s, but based off of what Autojournalists say, it seems like the manual option still delivers more of a thrilling ride.

Personally I'd get a manual in that car for the safety feature of it.

Again though, that is an essentially manual transmission (well... two) made to work automatically, not the opposite.
If I ever own a car with a manual, I may like it or even prefer it over an automatic. But I don't think so. I like automatics because of their versatility.

And, where I live, there is a lot of traffic (wasn't like that about 30 years ago), so having an a car with an automatic is even more practical.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't know that. I'm not familiar with Porsches. I read about the automatic being faster than the manual in Automobile magazine.

If I ever own a car with a manual, I may like it or even prefer it over an automatic. But I don't think so. I like automatics because of their versatility.

And, where I live, there is a lot of traffic (wasn't like that about 30 years ago), so having an a car with an automatic is even more practical.
I understand that choice, I'm considering a Golf as a next car (primarily for the wife, but I'll drive it for a year or so), and if it was available with the DSG transmission (double clutch auto) as a petrol, I would've most likely bought that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or